Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|“||Ever hear the old saying beauty is only skin deep? Well, right now, all you can see is the beauty.||„|
|“||As I said, you only saw the beauty side of me before. Now with great pleasure, I introduce you to the BEAST!||„|
|~ Zarbon to Vegeta after transforming|
|“||I'm going to have so much fun making you talk.||„|
|~ Zarbon to an unconscious Vegeta|
Zarbon (ザーボン) is Freeza's right-hand man and highest ranking elite commander in Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball Z Kai series. In contrast to Dodoria, he is quite handsome, with blue skin, long green hair, and customized armor. He can transform into a stronger, yet extremely hideous form.
Zarbon was a member of Freeza's elite warriors. He and Dodoria witnessed Freeza destroying Planet Vegeta with delight.
Searching for the Dragon Balls
Zarbon and Dodoria accompanied Freeza to Planet Namek to find the seven Dragon Balls. Zarbon's scouter was broken from Vegeta's power level as he battled Cui. At the fifth Namekian village they attacked, Zarbon killed two of the three oldest Nameks there, as well as one of Freeza's henchmen; when one of the stronger Nameks knocked the soldier toward Zarbon, he kicked him into the lake.
After Dodoria was separated from them by Kuririn and Son Gohan, and killed by Vegeta, Freeza returned to his spaceship. Zarbon set out in search of Namek villages and Dragon Balls, with a few henchmen like Appule also searching for villages.
Zarbon soon encountered Vegeta, and fought him. Zarbon was initially at a disadvantage, but transformed into his monstrous form and defeated Vegeta, knocking him into the water. Resuming his original form, Zarbon returned to Freeza, who was furious that Zarbon did not make sure Vegeta was dead. Upon finding out from another of his henchmen that Vegeta attacked a Namek village and hid a Dragon Ball, Freeza sent Zarbon to bring Vegeta to him and make him say where the Dragon Ball was.Zarbon brought Vegeta back and put him in the rejuvenation tank. However, while Zarbon was out of the room, Vegeta finished his recovery, broke free and killed Appule before stealing Freeza's five Dragon Balls. Enraged, Freeza gave Zarbon one hour to find Vegeta and the Dragon Balls or he will kill him.
Rematch with Vegeta
Zarbon soon found Vegeta, and Kuririn with Guru's Dragon Ball, and followed them to Bulma's cave where he fought Vegeta again. Though he transformed again, Zarbon was at a disadvantage to Vegeta this time. When Zarbon demanded to know why this was, the Saiyan prince revealed a Saiyan's ability to dramatically increase their power after they are badly hurt. Vegeta brutally slammed his fist clean through Zarbon's stomach. Zarbon begged Vegeta to spare his life, but Vegeta ruthlessly killed him with an energy wave through the chest, sending him flying into the Namekian sea to a watery grave.
In TeamFourStar's Dragon Ball Z abridged series, Zarbon, like every other character, was played more comically than in the original anime. While not much about his role changed, Zarbon's personality was far different, being much more flamboyant to the point where, even though he stated he had a girlfriend (much to Frieza's surprise), his sexuality was up for debate. During his rant to Captain Ginyu about how his mission on Namek was a complete failure, Frieza states that he is convinced that Zarbon's girlfriend is named Chuck.
Powers and Abilities
Like nearly every villain in the Dragon Ball Series, Zarbon can fly, generate multiple ki blast attacks and possesses super human abilities such as speed and strength. He also has an alternate form, were he has an ugly, reptilian form. In this form, Zarbon's Power Level increases which also increases his speed and strength.
His base form has a power of 23,000 but when he transforms into Monster form it multiplies by 1.3 to become 30,000.
Zarbon despises transforming into his beast form because he values his own physical appearance above everything else. He is very vain, resourceful, cunning, intelligent, and very ruthless against his enemies. Zarbon always smiles and/or laughs when he is mercilessly beating an opponent, as shown when he slaughtered the Namekians and when he brutalized Vegeta. However, when faced with a stronger opponent, he becomes a coward and begs. It should also be noted that Zarbon is very terrified of Frieza like many of Frieza's henchmen.
- In an issue of Beckett Anime, a Beckett magazine publication, Zarbon was voted as one of the top five greatest henchmen of all anime, and was the only character from Dragon Ball Z on the list.
- Zarbon is confirmed to be a prince among Freeza's men due to two separate indications. The first comes from the Freeza saga, when it is mentioned that when Freeza wiped out an entire species or planet, he kept the strongest warrior from each planet alive. The other instance is noted in the battle mode in the video game Tenkaichi Tag Team, where Zarbon and Vegeta are both entitled as "Prince of Another Planet" on a stage select title.
- His voice in the games greatly differs from his voice in the English dubs of the anime. The original FUNimation dub, first seen in Freeza's flashback to King Vegeta's rebellion against him, has Zarbon's voice sound similar to the Ocean dub. In later versions of the FUNimation dub, his voice was changed so it resembled King Cold's or Caroni's (similar to how later versions made Vegeta's voice deeper than it did in the original FUNimation).
- In the Ocean dub, when Zarbon's scouter breaks, Dodoria says "Zarbon, what was that?". But, in the flashback Dodoria has while he encounters Vegeta, he says "What was that, Zarbon?".
- Zarbon is the first villain in the entire series who is shown to be able to transform at will. Vegeta needed to use a Power Ball to transform and was an antagonist, but never remained a villain.
- In the manga, Zarbon informs Vegeta about Freeza's ability to transform. This was removed from the anime, but Vegeta still tells to Freeza that it is Zarbon who told him about his ability to transform. This presumably happened off-screen, possibly at a point during their battle on Namek.
- Due to the fact that Vegeta still survived and escaped with his last breath from his battle against Goku, Kuririn, and Gohan, Zarbon is the first character to actually defeat Vegeta in a battle. Kuririn had proceeded to kill Vegeta, but Goku told Kuririn not to, thus ending the battle in a draw. However, after Zarbon had transformed, he easily dominated Vegeta, toying with him and coming out completely victorious. As Vegeta's battered and unconscious body was later recovered by Zarbon, this proves that Zarbon was the first character to defeat Vegeta in a battle.
- When Zarbon arrived for his second confrontation with Vegeta, Bulma fell in love with him at first sight (though he did not seem to notice) and thought he was a handsome hero that was there to rescue her. Ironically, she later marries Vegeta, who killed Zarbon.
- A mistake regarding Zarbon's armor was made during the scene where Vegeta kills him. At the beginning of this scene, Zarbon's armor is already battle-damaged and his cape is gone. While they are fighting, however, his armor and cape are completely intact, as the animators used a clip from a previous Vegeta vs. Zarbon scene. This is fixed in DBZ Kai.
- Zarbon and Dodoria are the first and final villains to appear onscreen in the history of all Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT. When looking at the timeline chronologically, the first movie to take place is the Bardock - The father of Goku TV Special, where Zarbon and Dodoria appear first (not counting Vegeta, who switches sides). In the final episode of Dragon Ball GT (episode 64), Zarbon and Dodoria are the final villains to appear onscreen when Goku remembers all the villains who escaped from Hell.
- According to Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Chi Chi has mixed feelings about Zarbon's appearance. If you listen to her commentary about Zarbon in his base form, she will say "It's a face that superficial Bulma would like" (which was true since Bulma did find Zarbon highly attractive), but if you listen to her commentary on Monster Zarbon, she will say "Eek! For that good-looking face to become so dreadful!".
- The Potara earrings greatly resemble Zarbon's earrings and the charm on his headpiece.
- Zarbon has a close resemblance to Orgodemir, a blue-skinned villain worried about beauty and also has a hideous, more powerful form. Both villains were drawn by Akira Toriyama.