X-49 is a one-shot minor antagonist in the 2001 animated series Samurai Jack, appearing in Episode L: Tale of X-49 as the protagonist villain.
He is an assassin droid who worked for Aku, but after seeing amoral nature of his duty and that killing people made him do wrong (due to the installment of a experimental personality chip inside), X-49 eventually retired and adopted a stray dog named Lulu. However, Aku kidnapped Lulu, demanding him to kill Samurai Jack.
He is voiced by Daran Norris.
X-49 was created as one of Aku's early robots, the X Models, by one of the latter's scientists. X-49 was given an artificial emotion chip by one of the scientists that makes him feel emotions. This also made X-49 think on his own and made him to live on. He managed to survive through obstacles and helped Aku conquer the world where other droids failed. X-49 later went into retirement and took in a stray dog named Lulu.
Years later, X-49 was came out of retirement by Aku who kidnapped Lulu. He demanded that X9 kill Samurai Jack or Lulu dies. X9 finds Jack and follows him to a an abandoned droid factory. Jack destroys X9 and showed sympathy to the droid. X-49, in final words, begs Jack to take care of Lulu.
- Master Gunslinger: Due to his pre-existing program, X-49 possesses excellent skill with his twin pistols in terms of accuracy and efficiency.
- Expert Tracker: He has also show himself capable of tracking Samurai Jack easily, although by his own admission it was quite simple due to Jack's battles with Aku's drones or bounty hunters.
- Expert Musician: X-49 has also shown himself to be a great trumpeter as shown when he frequently played in his home for Lulu.
- He was sometimes erroneously referred to as "X-9" by fans.
- Due to the events of Episode CI, it is more likely that X-49 will be erased from existence due to the death of Aku, thus his creation will cease.