The Waterwraith is a boss from Pikmin 2 that lacks a physical form in the Pikmin dimension. It is found on all sublevels of the Submerged Castle, which only Blue Pikmin can be brought into, although it is possible to find Bulbmin on levels two-four and White Pikmin on level three. It rolls around using two massive stone rollers and tracks down Olimar/Louie/the President and their Pikmin to crush them. It's only weakness is the strength of the Purple Pikmin, which can anchor it into Olimar's dimension.
While traveling through the floors of the Submerged Castle, you must clear the first floors quickly, because after five minutes, the Waterwraith will fall from the ceiling with its rollers and automatically chase after your active captain, no matter where he is. On the first four floors, it's useless to attack the Waterwraith, even when petrified with the Ultra-Bitter Spray, as it is physically present in another dimension and thus there is nothing for the Pikmin/Bulbmin to attack. However, since it only chases after the active captain and won't chase him in tight corners or dead-ends, as well as killing every enemy and deactivating every trap, one could use this as an advantage to collect the remaining treasures and escape to the next level.
On the fifth and final floor, there are two Violet Candypop Buds, which can be used to turn ten Pikmin/Bulbmin into Purple Pikmin. Use nectar from the nearby eggs to flower your Purple Pikmin. Break down the gate leading to a large room, and the Waterwraith will fall down once the captains get close to the center of the room. Throwing Purple Pikmin next to or on the Waterwraith will anchor it into the dimension, allowing Pikmin to attack it at last, though it will try to shake Pikmin off and unanchor itself after a time. Repeating this procedure will eventually break the rollers. The Waterwraith will then run around the floor in panic, knocking back any Pikmin who it runs into, though this is a harmless push. After a few more Purple Pikmin pounds, the Waterwraith lets out a final scream of pain and explodes, finally killing it. The Waterwraith drops the Professional Noisemaker, which allows the captains to pluck Pikmin out of the ground with their whistles.
Two Waterwraiths appear in the Bully Den, the 28th level in challenge mode, both appearing once the timer clicks 270, leaving only 30 seconds of preparation. It is tricky dealing with two Waterwraiths, but both should go down easily if a second player is active. One drops the Key and the other drops the Silencer.
|“||All that is known about this creature stems from a few sightings deep underground. All reported sightings feature the same core set of details: a giant, viscous form with a clear, hazy sheen not unlike hard candy. One theory holds that it may be the ectoplasmic incarnation of a kind of psychic phenomenon, but as is usually the case with such theories, it is very difficult to prove. All witnesses report being suddenly overcome with fear upon sighting the creature, approaching a state of panic and near insanity. In fact, every report contains an inordinate amount of extremely vague details, which has led to suspicions that exhaustion and fear have caused some simple natural phenomenon to be viewed as a living creature.||„|
|~ Olimar's Notes|
|“||Inedible. Known to cause mass hysteria, followed by leg spasms and internal thunderings.||„|
|~ Louie's Notes|
- The Waterwraith has many similarities (and might be related) to the Plasm Wraith, the final boss of Pikmin 3.
- Both are made up of a liquid-like form, the Waterwraith made up of a transparent liquid and the Plasm Wraith made up of a golden liquid.
- Both have the suffix "wraith" in their names.
- In the Japaneese versions, both are named, "Amebouzu".
- Both of their first forms are completely invincible and Pikmin can only fight against them at the end of their respected level, Waterwraith with the Submerged Castle and the Plasm Wraith with the Formidable Oak.
- The Waterwraith's scientific name, Amphibio Sapiens, means "Water Man".
- The Waterwraith, the Giant Breadbug, and the Titan Dweevil are the only bosses in Pikmin 2 to have their own musical theme. The Waterwraith and the Titan Dweevil are also the only bosses to have more than one battle themes. The Waterwraith has three with the chasing music for the first four sublevels of the Submerged Castle, the regular boss battle theme, and the sped-up boss theme when it flees missing its rollers. The Titan Dweevil is the final boss of Pikmin 2 and has five themes.