|“||I am the great Wart. Bah ha ha ha!!||„|
Wart ("Mamu" in Japan) is the final boss and the main antagonist in the Super Mario Bros. 2 game and in the non-Mario game, Doki Doki Panic. He is essentially a giant, evil, and toad-like king who is trying to take over the world of Subcon.
He attacks by shooting/burping out nightmare bubbles at Mario, Peach, Toad, or Luigi (whoever the player faces him as). He does have one weakness. You can grab the vegetables as they come out of the vegetable machine and throw them at Wart when he opens his mouth. If a veggie touches a bubble, it will be destroyed, so a character must time their shots carefully. He hates vegetables, so whenever one is thrown into his mouth, he takes damage. After six hits, Wart will choke and die. His body is then tossed around and beaten up by the Subcon after Mario and friends release them.
Wart has not appeared in any Mario games since; in addition to his death, the entire game was a dream by Mario. Other enemies that made their debut in Super Mario Bros. 2 (like Shy Guys and Bob-ombs) did return, however, as they really did exist in the Mario universe. Apparently, however, there is a comic called "Cyborg Wart", which is a reference to Wart.
He makes a minor appearance in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.
Wart is shown to be proud, rude, menacing, selfish, and persistent. His greatest desire is to conquer the dream world Subcon. More likely than not, he would not be satisfied and would take on the rest of the universe. He does not stop, even if he is defeated. This was shown in BS Super Mario USA, when Wart returns to "replace" Subcon's king Osama; in other words he tried again to conquer it, but was defeated by Mario. Yet, Wart is known to be very jealous of Mario. After his conquests on Subcon, Wart can have a calm attitude as shown when Link met him. Instead of conquering Kolohint Island, Wart spent most of his time traveling throughout the world and assisting Link on his quest. He even has his two Frof Choir with him.
Powers and Abilities
Since Wart is a frog, he possess the abilities that any frog has and especially has affinity with water. He spits multiple bubbles, which seemingly look poisonous and is his signature move, however, his usual abilities. He can choose to shoot many water bubbles or spit a long breath of water. Wart can also use magic, and put a curse on someone, as revealed that the curse he put on Mario during his sleep did not work according to the Instruction Manual of Super Mario Bros. 2, but he can put a spell on an entire world. Wart is invincible; he could not be harmed, not even a bomb will injure him, unless a vegetable is thrown at him six times (four times in Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic), Wart will lose but has managed to survive all of this many times of defeats. He did fallen down after defeating him in BS Super Mario USA, he caused an earthquake, which shown he could shake the ground too because of his strength. In Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic, Wart is able to struck his huge hand to the outside world, as shown to be very huge in the outside world, it also prove that he could travel from world to world, wherever he wishes to, including in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.
- A frog named Wart Jr. appeared in Animal Crossing, Animal Crossing: Wild World and Animal Crossing: City Folk. It is unknown if he is meant to be a relation or an allusion to Wart, as they do not look similar, and apart from Wart Jr.'s latent desire to take over the world, share nothing in common.
- In BS Super Mario USA, Wart is said to have fled to another dream in the brief era of peace at the end of Super Mario Bros. 2. This may possibly be an allusion to The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, in which he makes a friendly cameo on Koholint Island.
- Oddly, Wart, mislabeled as "King Koopa", appears in reels B and C in a Master-view toy released during the run of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!
- In the original Super Mario Bros. 2 (along with its remake in Super Mario All-Stars), Wart could still hurt the players if they touch his defeated body. In Super Mario Advance however, he becomes intangible to the players once defeated.
- In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, one of the names that can be gotten from pressing the "RANDOM NAME" button is "WART".
- Wart took two less hits to defeat him in Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic.
- He is known in Japan and in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening as "Mamu" (マム, Mamū).