|“||You have to do whats best for the company, and your momma.||„|
|~ Once-Ler's Mother manipulating Once-Ler|
The Once-ler's Mother is the secondary antagonist of the 2012 adaptation of The Lorax.
She was voiced by Nasim Pedrad.
Role in the film
She helped cut down the trees and is the mother of Bret, Chet, and Once-ler. She is snobby, money-crazy, somewhat manipulative, selfish, and cruel to her youngest son. She constantly belittles Once-ler, and was said he wouldn't amount to anything all his life. However, this wasn't the case when the Once-ler created and mass-produced the successful Thneed, which has become very popular. Even when the Once-ler happily taunted his mother of his success as a businessman, she simply brushes this off by claiming that she was only motivating him into creating his business.
She is the one who convinced Once-ler to continue cutting down the trees, making her somewhat the true antagonist. Mostly its clear that she wants Once-ler to make the business more successful to keep her well kept. Once the last one falls, she says that she is disappointed in Once-ler and names Bret as her new favorite child (it is either because she was disappointing in her son for cutting down the last tree, that there are no more trees to cut down, or that Once-ler can't keep selling Thneeds).
She is moody, spoiled, lazy, cunning, money-crazy, greedy, arrogant, avaricious, materialistic, acquisitive, and failure-intolerant. She is somewhat manipulative, obnoxious, and abusive especially to Once-ler. She also lacks of business insight since she never taking into account of reserving resources (the tree) to create a long and stable business instead her greed blinds her to the fact that she willing to pressure Once-ler to chop down all the tree until nothing left to make the business function. In the end, her greed and short-sighted contribute greatly to Once-ler downfall.
- Mama's current life is unknown. Everybody can presume that she is either deceased or very old ( since the Once-ler is now very old).
- Despite being the secondary of the film, she is a main factor that leads to the event of the movie.
- Her real name is Isabella.
- Her character seemed to be much more hated by fans of the film than the film's main villain, Aloysius O'Hare due to the fact that she is the one who made Once-ler destroyed the forest in the first place as well as contributing to his miserable life.
- Although it is not incorrect to call her a supporting antagonist, she is the true secondary antagonist, because the Once-ler wasn't truly a villain, as he redeemed himself, and she was the one who urged him to destroy the forest.