The Terror Dogs are a vicious breed of demonic hellhounds found in the Ghostbusters franchise, dating as far back as the original Ghostbusters film.
Terror Dogs are large and bulky monsters vaguely resembling actual dogs but have large horns protruding from their skulls, large claws, sharp, menacing teeth and glowing red eyes as well as a degree of intelligence and can possess human beings as vessels: although rarely seen there seems to be more than one type of Terror Dog breed with a much larger breed being seen (briefly) in the cartoon series.
The most famous (as well as the most powerful) Terror Dogs in Ghostbusters canon were the two loyal servants of Gozer known as Zuul and Vinz Clortho, who possessed Dana Barrett and Louis Tully respectively in order to summon their master into our dimension.
- These creatures are also referred to as "Hellhounds", "Demon Dogs", and "Werewolves".
- When briefly encountered by humans, most people initially confuse the creatures for "dogs", "bears", or "cougars".
- While not part of Kenner's "Real Ghostbusters" toy line, NECA Toys created action figures based on Zuul and Vinz Clortho. The Mini-Mates figures will also produce figures based on the Terror Dogs.
- A Terror Dog is seen in "What in Samhain Just Happened?!" on page 22. It is among the audience watching Sam Hain perform.
- A Terror Dog appears on the Second Printing cover of Ghostbusters Issue #2.
- On page 23 of Ghostbusters Issue #3, File #F390, the Tolaysian Terror Dogs are noted to be larger than the Gozerian variety and are accounted for in Tobin's Spirit Guide (2nd Edition, 1937). The Gozerian Terror Dogs are covered in File #F002 A & B.