|“||My soldiers, my sons. Many of you have heard of me in late-night whispering but I assure you, I am not a myth. I am real and I stand before you with one simple truth: the strong shall rule the weak. Long ago, I was viciously attacked by the coward Lyze of Kiel for defending that truth. Now I wear this mask to conceal my scars but the metal is strong. It is a symbol of the Pure Ones' strength and resolve. It is time to set a fire that will consume the Owl Kingdoms and take back what is rightfully ours. Because we are Tyros! We are Pure Ones! And I am Metal Beak!||„|
|~ Surtr addressing the Pure Ones|
Surtr, or better known as Metal Beak, is the main antagonist of the 2010 computer-animated Warner Bros. film, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. He is the husband of Nyra, and the leader of the Pure Ones. In the Book series he was the main villain of the first half of the series.
He was voiced by Joel Edgerton.
Before the filmEdit
Metal Beak was originally called Surtr and took part in the battle of the Ice Claws with the Pure Ones against the Guardians of Ga'Hoole. During the battle, Surtr was bested and maimed by a Guardian named Lyze of Kiel, resulting in him wearing a metal mask to cover his facial scars and going under a new name; Metal Beak.
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'HooleEdit
Many years later, Metal Beak, his wife Nyra and the rest of the Pure Ones, took over St. Aegolius Acadamy for Orphaned Owls (St. Aggie's for short) and would send out his minions to capture owlets (among them Soren and his brother Kludd, who becomes a Pure One) in order to either convert them into Pure One soldiers or make them pickers to pick through pellets to find flecks to power his device to use against the Guardians. He had made an alliance with Allomere, a Guardian who had became a turnfeather for the Pure Ones as Metal Beak has promised him a portion of the owl kingdoms to rule as King if he helped them.
After being given a moonblinked Eglantine and another owlet by Kludd, Allomere returned to the Great Ga'Hoole Tree and told the Guardians the Pure Ones plan, which made the Guardians decide to fight them. However, this was part of Metal Beak's plan and when the Guardians arrived, the device was activated and the Guardians were pinned to the ground with it's power. However, Soren and the band arrive to save the Guardians (after Eglantine revealed to him that Kludd had moonblinked her and gave her to Allomere). Seeing the group, Metal Beak believed that they were Guardians, and felt betrayed by Allomere, who was meant to bring all the Guardians. Saying that there was only room for one king, Metal Beak ordered Allomere killed; the treacherous Guardian was then attacked and dragged by several bats. However, unbeknownst to Metal Beak, Allomere had escaped the bats, but was later killed by his former apprentice Shard, after discovering that Allomere killed his parents.
Later in the battle, Metal Beak battles Lyze of Kiel (now known as Ezylryb), who despite his age is able to overpower his enemy, until Nyra's arrival. However, before they can kill Ezylryb, Soren arrives with a flaming branch to defeat Metal Beak to stop him destroying another owl's soul, after battling Kludd. The two owls battled, but the veteran warlord is able to overpower the younger owl and swoops at Soren with talons out to kill him. Luckily, Soren is able to grab the branch and stabs Metal Beak through the heart, killing him. Horrified at her husband's death, Nyra gives Soren an angry glare before retreating with the remaining Pure Ones.
Near the end of the film, Kludd (who had survived falling into a forest fire during his battle with Soren) comes across Metal Beak's body and gazes down at his fallen leader's mask, possibly taking it for himself.
Personality and TraitsEdit
Surtr was a cold, cruel, brutal, sarcastic, manipulative, and ruthless, yet also very charismatic individual. However, it' is implied that he did care for and love his wife, Nyra, as she was visibly horrified when Soren killed him.
|“||Pure Ones, attack! Crush them! Before they can recover!||„|
|~ Surtr to his Pure One soldiers.|
|“||There is only room for one king!||„|
|~ Surtr showing his arrogance as Allomere is dragged away by bats.|
|“||Well, the legendary Lyze of Kiel. Once again, it's come down to just you and me. At last, I can take my revenge for this. (*indicates scar behind his iron mask*) (Ezylryb: Hmm. You should thank me. It appears to be an improvement.)||„|
|~ Exchange between Surtr the Metal Beak and Ezylryb aka Lyze of Kiel.|
|“||(Soren: He's my teacher. My hero.) Well, your hero can teach you one last lesson about Pure Ones' strength... (Nyra: Don't move.) ...by letting you watch him die.||„|
|~ Surtr's final words|
- Surtr is a character made for the film as in the books, Kludd served as Metal Beak and Nyra's husband.
- Surtr is also possibly inspired by an unnamed High Tyto that Kludd killed in the books with aid of Nyra to overthrow Pure Ones' leadership and responsible for Kludd's scarred face that forced him to wear mask to hide the said scars. The difference however, that High Tyto came from Tyto Alba, not Greater Sooty Owls.
- The ending of the film implies that "Metal Beak" might just be a title, with Kludd being the next to bear it, which also implied that Kludd DO would become Metal Beak much like in books albeit the second one. This has been confirmed, as the current Metal Beak's real name is Surtr.
- If Surtr felt truly betrayed by Allomere or if he just wanted to get him out of the way is unknown, though the former is much more likely from his lines that saying, "You should know, Allomere. There is only room for one king!".
- He is blind in his left eye. On the other side of his face, he has no feathers, which is strange, as normally one wouldn't have feathers on his or her blind side. This may have been done, however, to make him appear more battle-worn.
- Even though it's implied that Surtr lost his whole beak, parts of it are still visible in the movie. Concept art reveals that only a large part of his upper beak is missing.
- In the books, Greater Sooty Owls are the second-lowest ranking Pure Ones(the lowest being Lesser Sooties) and are never promoted past soldiers.
- The Metal Beak in the books is never referred to as Metal Beak by his fellow Pure Ones, while in the movie, he takes obvious pride in the title.
- While instructing his soldiers to "crush" the Guardians, Surtr appears to make a Nazi salute.
- Metal Beak's real name Surtr is only revealed in the film's videogame adaption.