Squidward Quincy Tentacles
Cashier in the Krusty Krab
Powers / Skills
Intelligence, his tentacles
Playing the clarinet, painting pictures, dancing and belittling real talent.
Get SpongeBob and Patrick out of his life. Become a famous artist and clarinetist.
Type of Villain
Anti-Hero / Bully
Incompetent Villain / Scapegoat
|“||Too bad SpongeBob's not here to enjoy SpongeBob not being here!||„|
|~ Squidward in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.|
|“||You want me to push you? *sigh* If only you were Spongebob.||„|
|~ Squidward about to push Patrick into a bucket of spiny sea urchins|
Squidward Quincy Tentacles, often shortened to and referred to as "Squidward", is the tritagonist/tertiary antagonist in the TV animated series SpongeBob SquarePants, who has a considerable antagonistic side, frequently taking advantage of the situation to stop SpongeBob from tormenting him, which only backfires and worsens. Squidward also has an abnormally large nose, like all squids on the series.
While Squidward was a regular jerk in the first few seasons, his personality has changed quite to the point of becoming a full sadist, indifferent to suffering towards others (especially to those whom sees positive sides of both SpongeBob and Patrick's obnoxious side), particularly in episodes like Good Neighbors, I ♥ Dancing, and Can You Spare A Dime?. Also in The Lost Mattress, he even threatens to kill SpongeBob and Patrick. Reason of his sadistic behavior mainly due to Spongebob's obnoxiousness intensifies since events of post-film seasons (fourth and on), along with some other characters and Patrick's idiocy ascending into disastrous level.
It's possible that he also has certain vendetta with Bikini Bottomites, as they proved to be antagonizing each others as well as seen in Sponge-Cano!. It also presumed that he had same vendetta with Sam Star as well.
- Help Wanted: He (along with Mr. Krabs) would not let SpongeBob get hired in the Krusty Krab.
- Jellyfishing: He releases a jellyfish that SpongeBob and Patrick capture which chases and stings them; however, the mother jellyfish stings him.
- Naughty Nautical Neighbors: Ruins SpongeBob and Patrick's friendship, only to be caught in the middle of their feuding and tries to get them back together. After being annoyed with their recovered and restored friendship, he tells them to get out of his destroyed house, which a bubble pops at his door, falling on Squidward, thus that is what he gets for ruining Spongebob and Patrick's friendship and making them fight with each other and be enemies.
- Home Sweet Pineapple: Cheers for SpongeBob moving away along with Gary, paying no attention to Patrick's sadness. But the pineapple home grows back to normal and squashes Squidward.
- Jellyfish Jam: Annoys the jellyfish with music. The creatures charge over and start stinging Squidward as a cause and effect.
- Opposite Day: Squidward chases after SpongeBob and Patrick with a bulldozer after ruining his chance to move somewhere else, trying to compress them.
- Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost: When SpongeBob and Patrick believe they have killed Squidward and that he is now a ghost, he takes advantage of this by making them his slaves. Eventually, SpongeBob and Patrick attempt to bury Squidward to put his soul to rest, which ultimately brings him to confess that he is actually alive. However, SpongeBob and Patrick still think that Squidward is a ghost in denial and send him to the "great beyond" by trapping him in a bubble, which floats up into the sky.
- Employee of the Month: SpongeBob and Squidward viciously compete with each other for the employee of the month award, both of them trapping each other in hopes of getting to work first.
- Fools in April: Squidward gets annoyed with SpongeBob pulling playful and harmless pranks on people at the Krusty Krab, and pulls a very cruel and harmful prank on SpongeBob in retaliation. Things blow up in Squidward's face when SpongeBob runs out of the restaurant sobbing hysterically, and the Bikini Bottomites turn on him.
- Bubble Buddy: Tried to pop Bubble Buddy, until it is shown that he was in fact alive.
- Patty Hype: Squidward and Mr. Krabs mocked SpongeBob's Pretty Patties.
- Grandma's Kisses: Squidward and the customers at the Krusty Krab ruthlessly tease SpongeBob for having a kiss on his forehead given by his grandma. At the end of the episode, it is shown that they have been spying on SpongeBob with his grandma through her house's window.
- Artist Unknown: He is upset with SpongeBob's perfect art, but after Monty P. Moneybags told Squidward that he could make a new statue, he wanted him back. Squidward tried to get SpongeBob to make a perfect statue so that he could get all the credit. After SpongeBob failed, Squidward destroyed everything in rage, quitting afterwards (not realizing he had made a masterpiece, which he claimed the janitor was the creator of).
- Can You Spare a Dime?: Squidward accepts SpongeBob's offer to live in his house until he finds a new job. However, he takes advantage of SpongeBob's hospitality by laying in bed all day and essentially making SpongeBob his domestic slave. This eventually proves too much for SpongeBob who - for one of the few times in the series - becomes angry with Squidward, beginning aggressively giving Squidward obvious hints to get a job, which Squidward either doesn't notice or chooses to ignore.
- Krusty Krab Training Video: Squidward is described by the narrator as a bad employee and the squid would not let Patrick order anything.
- The Lost Mattress: He tried to take credit for SpongeBob and Patrick's attempt to make Mr. Krabs feel better. He also deliberately puts Spongebob and Patrick in danger of being eaten by the guard worm (although only he was attacked several times).
- Funny Pants: Tricked SpongeBob into thinking he burned out his laughbox, but he is annoyed even worse with his crying. Ironically, after admitting to Spongebob about it, Squidward actually burned out his laughbox. When Spongebob transplanted a part of his to Squidward, he got stuck with Spongebob's laugh and bursted through the wall.
- Good Old Whatshisname: Squidward steals What Zit Tooya's wallet and ran a red light in front of a police officer and gets arrested and was sentenced to 10 years in jail.
- Slimy Dancing: Squidward attempted to win a dancing competition by controlling SpongeBob's body with his arms and legs. But he ended up being disqualified when he learned that his actions was considered cheating.
- The Splinter: Squidward teases SpongeBob into thinking that Mr. Krabs would have to kick him out for getting a splinter at work.
- No Hat For Pat: Saying that he hates everyone in Bikini Bottom (currently said it at the KK), and even he expressed the desire to hurt SpongeBob.
- Professor Squidward: Squidward steals Squilliam's identity in an attempt to run an art school. Soon Squidward's scheme is discovered and he was arrested.
- Gullible Pants: When SpongeBob is left in charge of the Krusty Krab, Squidward tricks him into doing ridiculous things.
- I ♥ Dancing: Squidward gets jealous that SpongeBob has an audition in a musical, and "teaches" him how to dance in order to steal the spot for himself, training SpongeBob to the point of prostration. While he wins, he is going to star in Squilliam's musical, and is forced to train to perform a dance that SpongeBob had performed earlier, with Squilliam clearly planning to run him ragged just as Squidward had done to SpongeBob.
- Sponge-Cano!: Antagonized every single Bikini Bottomite by scolding them for trivial problems, including SpongeBob. This practically proves that he truly had a vendetta with them all.
- A Day Without Tears: Makes a bet with SpongeBob that he couldn't go the rest of the day without crying. He tries numerous attempts to make SpongeBob cry so that he loses the bet.
- Big Sister Sam: Insults Patrick's sister and soon tries to destroy Patrick's house and kills Sam to avenge his destroyed home, but ended up in a brief, but brutal fight against Sam and was defeated.
- Accidents Will Happen: Forces Mr. Krabs to indulge him due to an injury and later lies about how he got injured (shown by video surveillance, he ignorantly took a nap on a shelf and caused it to break).
- Squidward's School for Grown-Ups: He gets so possessive about Patrick when he becomes friends with him; in fact, he tries to break off their friendship. When Spongebob and Patrick are friends again, he gets jealous and angry. He told the audience indirectly that the two were horrible performers, but they disagree with him and they ended up throwing food on Squidward.
- Chum Fricasse: After quitting his job at the Krusty Krab, Squidward improves the Chum Bucket using his grandmother's recipe: Chum Fricassee. He also acted harsh (and impatient) to Plankton on cooking the fricassee when a line of customers wanted the chum. It is soon revealed that Squidward had the chum undercooked, thus poisoning the customers.
- Squid Defense: After being chased by a thug, Squidward seeked SpongeBob and Sandy's help to learn karate. Sandy made him swear to use it for defense instead of vengeance. However, as soon as Squidward learned karate he went to beat up the thug, but it turns out he was just trying to return Squidward's groceries. SpongeBob and Sandy discover that Squidward betrayed them and is not worthy of his belt, and he is then arrested for assault.
- Little Yellow Book: This is yet another instance Squidward is at his worst. Upon finding SpongeBob's diary, he reads it aloud in front of the Krusty Krab's customers. SpongeBob gets heartbroken when he finds out, but Squidward didn't show any sympathy for him. The entire town grew a hatred for Squidward, but SpongeBob later forgave him as his diary has been published. Unfortunately, Squidward reads SpongeBob's "personal" diary and saddens him again. To make matters worse, he continued laughing at what he read despite the tomatoes being thrown at him by an angry mob.
- Don't Look Now: After SpongeBob and Patrick get terrified of a horror movie, Squidward pretends to be the villain of the film in order to play a cruel joke on them. He ends up being severely injured.
Moral Event Horizon
|“||If I knew that was the last time I've seen SpongeBob-- I would have slammed the door in his face even harder!||„|
|~ Squidward in What Ever Happened to Spongebob?.|
For many fans, Squidward is a candidate enough to point out that he has crossed the Moral Event Horizon on several occasions:
- What Ever Happened to Spongebob?: He (along with Patrick, Sandy, and Mr. Krabs) forced Spongebob to leave Bikini Bottom whilst not caring for him. Squidward then destroys Sandy's invention (to look for Spongebob) with a mallet so that they couldn't find Spongebob; he then ruthlessly laughs that Spongebob is gone in Bikini Bottom, but he was forced to find him by Mr. Krabs. This proves just how much Squidward hates Spongebob. After Spongebob regained his memories, he threw his brain in the garbage.
- The Curse of Bikini Bottom: Lent his lawn mower to Spongebob and Patrick, hoping that they would kill themselves with it (though this didn't turn them into ghosts, the Flying Dutchman did).
|“||I don't care. This is so worth it!||„|
|~ Squidward reading SpongeBob's diary, paying no mind to his punishment|
- Little Yellow Book: Squidward showed absolutely no sympathy for SpongeBob after reading his diary aloud, leading the whole town to hate him. Even after being forgiven by SpongeBob, he reads his personal diary, upsetting him and the town once more. Despite the punishment he recieved at the end, he continued reading and laughing. Mr. Krabs himself said to Squidward that this was "low even for him".
Although he is now more of a jerk, it is not all his fault. In early seasons, he was a consiberably more affable, just annoyed by the stupidity of his neighbors. Today, he is a bigger jerk, mainly because of Spongebob and Patrick's increased stupidity. Mr. Krabs also blackmails him to work and barely pays him anything. Whenever he tries to make any piece of art, he gets turned down for something far less well designed. While he does bad things, he gets far worse punishment for what little he has done.
In popular culture
- Squidward is a very common "villain" in Internet-based parodies, especially concerning the Spengbab phenomena- this likely originated from an extremely popular "creepypasta" story from 4chan labelled "Squidward's Suicide", which depicted Squidward as a suicidal or demonic being. The story is similar to other "Lost Episode" parodies, such as "Bart's Death". Ever since, he has become somewhat of a meme in this regard.
- In the episode "Just One Bite", at the scene where Squidward says "Does this look unsure to you?", a hideous picture of his face appears onscreen. People have edited it. It has been nicknamed "Skodward" or "Unsureward".
- In the episode "The Two Faces of Squidward", when SpongeBob begins to slam the door against Squidward's face repeatedly, it only makes Squidward even more handsome. This meme is also popular.