|“||If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! ...Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little more about fighting than you do pal, because he invented it. And then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor! (...) Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one! (...) *sinister laugh* And from that day forward, anytime a bunch of animals are together in one place, it's called a ZOO! ...Unless it's a farm!||„|
|~ The Soldier giving a speech to his collection of enemy heads.|
The Soldier is a crazed patriot from America's heartland. Tough, durable, and well-armed, he's capable on both offense and defense and a great starter class to get familiar with the game. Being xenophobic and jingoistic, he has an extreme hatred of foreigners such as french and scottish people (despite enjoying The Art of War which has Chinese origins and most of his own teammates being foreigners) and hippies.
The Soldier is well known for his spectacular rocket jump. In defiance of all common sense and judgment, the Soldier can detonate a rocket at his feet and launch himself skyward at the cost of some health. This ability allows the Soldier to pop up in unexpected places and reach areas off-limits even to the Scout's double jump.
The two grenades on the Soldier's character model cannot be used unless the player finishes the Kamikaze taunt, which can only be used when the Equalizer or the Escape Plan are equipped.
While most if not all of the characters in Team Fortress 2 are mentally unstable, he is one of the two that seem to be completely insane (Along with the Pyro). This is demonstrated in his Meet the Team video where he talks to the heads of decapitated BLU mercenaries, his "friends" who are cardboard cutouts that he talks to in TF2 comic Grordbort`s Crash, and hoarding Captain Dan's soup in his home in WAR! comic. He also "claims" his name is Mr. "Jane Doe" despite that name being used for unidentified corpses of women, instead of John Doe, the male equivalent. In the Shadow Boxers comic he is shown to believe his entire team consists of only Americans, even though only he, the Engineer, and the Scout are confirmed to be American (Medic is German, Demoman is Scottish, Heavy is Russian, Spy is French, Sniper is Oceanic, and no one knows the Pyro's nationality). In Grave Matters, a possible "real" name or just another alias "Barrister Joe" and rank are mentioned by the ghost of his boss Redmond Mann. In Meet the Spy and later videos, he tends to act more idiotic and immature. This may be due to one of the comics revealing he has been drinking contaminated water, instead of the bottled water meant for the team. The Soldier was the basis for many Team Fortress 2 GMod freaks, such as Painis Cupcake and Rubberfruit.
- The Soldier is voiced by Rick May.
- The Soldier and Engineer are essentially the opposite or Antithesis of each other in many ways. Engineer is: from the southern part of USA, calm and intelligent, constructive, wears a hardhat, and seems to be sane besides some psychopathic traits. The Soldier is: from the northern part of USA, belligerent and idiotic, destructive, wears a metal helmet, and is one of the most insane characters, partly thanks to drinking toxic water as revealed in the TF2 comics.
- His primary weapon is a rocket launcher, his secondary weapon is a shotgun, and his melee weapon is a shovel.
- The "Meet the Scout" video and "Righteous Bison" taunt show he enjoys juggling explosives.
- The Soldier is similar to Charlie Hewitt from the Texas Chain Saw Massacre 2003 remake film as they are both psychotic soldiers armed with a shotgun, and they are both killers.
- He is one of the only 2 mercenaries in Tf2 that don't wear gloves. The other is Demoman.
- However, it's debatable whether Scout's hand wraps count as gloves.
|Team Fortress 2 Villains|