|“||Think you can beat Sledge? Nuh-uh, 'cuz Sledge is too smart for you!||„|
|~ Sledge to the Protagonist Vault Hunter|
Sledge is one of the main bosses in Borderlands who is built up as a major antagonist early in the game. He is the brutal and muscular leader of all the bandits in planet Pandora's Arid Badlands. Sledge resides in Headstone Mines, where he holds a piece of the key to the Vault. The Guardian Angel describes him as "a bad man, who has done terrible things to the people of Fyrestone", and one minor character had his family killed by Sledge who then made a tent from their skin. In battle, Sledge uses both a hammer and shotgun, the latter of which is obtained by the player after killing him and is one of the best (And most inaccurate.) weapons in the game. The weapon is called "Sledge's Shotgun" and its statistics are as follows:
Name: Sledge's Shotgun
Description: The Legend Lives
Rarity Color: Purple
Level Requirement: Variable*
The Damage, Level Requirement, and Value stats can vary based on the Level the player is when they defeat Sledge. All others will remain the same, however.
Fire Rate: 4.2
Magazine Capacity: 2 (can be increased through certain Skill Trees and Class Mods)
+150% Melee Damage
+10,000% Burst Fire Count*
As with all burst-fire weapons, reloading or using a melee attack mid-burst will interrupt it and cease fire.
Sledge will say the following quotes when battling the Protagonist Vault Hunter:
- Not going away, huh? Must be a bounty hunter! Sledge will punish you like the others!"
- "Think you can beat Sledge? Nuh-uh, 'cuz Sledge is too smart for you!"
- "Sledge have idea! Idea say destroy them all!"
- "Sledge destroy you! Destroy you right now!"
- "Sledge will crush you like... crush-you style!"
- "No mercy for anyone who threaten Sledge!"
- "No mercy for anyone who threaten Sledge, OK?"
- Kill Sledge's men make Sledge angry! ARRRG!"
- Now death come for you... from Sledge!"
- "Sledge's men gonna kill you!"
- "Sledge give little runt BIG death!"
- "Why are you here? Go away! Sledge is eating!"
- "No one come here unless Sledge tell them to!"
In the expansion "The Secret Armory of General Knox", Sledge has been revived as a cyborg monstrosity known as "Motorhead" by his fellow bandits, but he became even more of a mindless killing machine and one of his midget minions begs the player to put him out of his misery, oblivious to the fact that they're the one who killed Sledge in the first place.