The Seven Deadly Sins are also a popular subject in fiction and are usually embodied as powerful demons or similiar monsters: Satan is often believed to embody all of the seven sins, though Pride is his most prominent feature. It is the negative counterpart of Seven Heavenly Virtues
The Seven Sins
Envy is the sin of wanting that which belongs to another person and often involves a feeling of ill-will towards said person, in simpler terms it can be seen as when someone resents another for having what they do not: whether it is property, beauty, family, friends or some other luxury, sometimes when they don't need it.
Gluttony is the sin of excessive eating and drinking, especially if it is seen as wasetful and even more so if one denies food to the needy to satisfy one's own unhealthy diet: many medieval royals and nobility could of been considered guilty of this sin, with Henry VIII of England being especially infamous for his wasteful attitude towards food (reportedly taking a single bite from a large rump of meat and throwing the rest away).
Sloth is sometimes mistaken for excessive laziness but in its original sense Sloth refered more to a spiritual apathy than physical laziness - for example, refusing to worship God or attend a holy place or neglecting to aid others out of ideleness could be considered signs of Sloth.
Wrath is the sin of excessive anger as well as those who seek to exact unjust revenge on others, this became especially important after the teachings of "turn the other cheek" came into place and revenge was seen as an unacceptable act (whilst in ancient times attitudes towards revenge were less severe, though even then those who took excessively cruel tactics in their quest for vengeance would be considered "wrathful")
Lust is the sin of excessive desire for the pleasures of the flesh, in many religions sex outwith that done to reproduce is either sinful or to be kept hidden - this made the subject of open sexuality a very controversial one and Lust was seen to be the manifestation of such behavior. In the modern world, where sexuality has become much more accepted, lust is regarded more as that which is abnormal or dangerous (such as perversion or lewd behavior in unacceptable circumstances).
Pride is the sin of excessive self-worth, comparable to vanity and/or arrogance - science has coined the term "Malignant Narcissist" to describe such individuals: who often act in very selfish and sometimes dangerous ways and putting themselves before others.
Greed is the sin of excessive love of material things such as money or power - some faiths have also coined the word "Mammon" to describe this particular sin.
The Seven Deadly sins have appeared in multiple adaptations, including TV Shows, Movies, Comic Books, and Video Games. Most of the time a villain either is named after a sin, or represent a certain sin.
- In the Fullmetal Alchemist series, the main antagonist; Father has seven servants, each one named after a certain sin; Pride, Lust, Envy, Wrath, Gluttony, Sloth, and Greed.
- In the Digimon series, there's a group of evil Digimon known as the Seven Great Demon Lords. Each one of them represents one of the seven sins, as well as a specific demon that represents the sin.
- In Regular Show, Benson embodies Wrath.
- In Dead Rising 3, seven of the Psychopaths represent the Seven Deadly Sins; Albert Contiello represents Greed, Jherii Gallo represents Pride, Theodore Lagerfeld Jr. represents Sloth, Kenny Dermot represent Envy, Dylan Fuentes represent Lust, Harry "Zhi" Wong represent Wrath, and Darlene Fleischermacher represent Gluttony.
- In Garth Nix's fantasy series The Keys to the Kingdom, the Seven Morrow Days, the main antagonists of the series, respectively suffered from the sins after their betrayal. Mister Monday was infect by Sloth; Grim Tuesday was infect by Greed, Drowned Wednesday was infect by Gluttony, Sir Thursday was infect by Wrath, Lady Friday was infect by Lust, Superior Saturday was infect by Envy, and Lord Sunday was infect by Pride.
- In the God of War series, when Kratos opened Pandora's Box, various Gods of Olympus were infected by a certain evil. Some of them were infect by a certain sin(s). Athena was infected by Greed, Aphrodite was infected by Lust, Hera was infect by two sins: Sloth and Gluttony, Hercules was infect by Envy, and Hermes was infected by Pride.
- The only Sin that isn't confirmed if it has or hasn't infected a God is Wrath. However it's likely that the three kings; Poseidon, who was infected by Anger, Hades, who was infect by Hate, and Zeus, who was infected by Fear, were also infect by Wrath, as Poseidon was angry at Kratos for being to one responsible for the destruction of Atlantis, Hades was filled with hatred towards Kratos for killing his wife, niece and eventually his brother, and Zeus sent the full wrath of Olympus in an attempt to kill Kratos.
- Some fans believe that some Disney villains represent a deadly sin. Gaston represents Pride, Frollo represents Lust, Maleficent represents Wrath, Scar represent Greed, Hopper represents Sloth, Queen Grimhilde represents Envy, and Kaa represents Gluttony.
- In Devil May Cry 3, Dante encountered an army of demons known as the Seven Hells of the Demon Army. Each one of the demons is named after a certain sin.
- In a manga/anime series known as Ultimo, there's an organization known as the Evil Dôji Branch, which consist of eight members. One of them, known as Vice, is suppose to be the ultimate evil, while the other seven represent a sin. Orgullo represents Pride, Jealous represents Envy, Rage represents Wrath, Paresse represents Sloth, Avaro represents Greed, Edile represents Gluttony, and Désir represents Lust.
- In SpongeBob Squarepants, there are 2 characters whom each personalities possibly embody 2 of 7 deadly sins so far: Patrick Star, whom possibly represent Sloth, and Eugene H. Krabs, whom confirmed represented Greed.
- In the Dragon Ball franchise, there are some villains who's personalities would best represent a few of the sins. Cell represents Pride for obsessing with how perfect he is, Dr. Gero representing Wrath for wanting revenge on Goku for destroying the Red Ribbon Army, Majin Buu representing Gluttony by having powers turn people into food, King Piccolo representing Greed for craving eternal youth, Oolong representing Lust mostly for being a pervert and wishing for panties effectively saving the Earth, Babidi representing Sloth as he usually sends out his Majin minions to do his dirty work and Envy obviously represented by Vegeta, who is jealous of Goku's insane power level.