A Sea Bear is a large piranha-like fish with claw-tipped fins and the head of a grizzly bear. Squidward did not believe in the sea bear's existence until he was attacked by one in The Camping Episode where it is featured as the main antagonist. However, SpongeBob and Patrick are fervent believers, having read about them in the Bikini Bottom Enquirer and Fake Science Monthly.
An exceptionally violent animal, the sea bear took an immediate dislike to Squidward and attacked him repeteadly throughout the episode. The beast is attracted when Squidward, in mockery of Spongebob and Patrick's belief in it's existence, performs all the things that supposedly provoke the animal to violence leading the terrified duo to draw a dirt circle to deter the sea bear, apparently the only successful method of doing so. After teasing them when the sea bear does not appear, the animal shows itself and readjusts Squidward's sombrero to the position that serves to enrage it. The sea bear then violently mauls him and repeats this five times after for differing reasons: running, limping, crawling, simple dislike for the octopus and for drawing an oval rather than a circle in the dirt when Squidward takes Spongebob's suggestion. Conceding, Squidward jumps in Spongebob and Patrick's circle to escape the bear. The animal prepares for another attack when it notices the dirt circle. The circle actually proves effective when the sea bear, despite being easily capable of bypassing this incredelous defense, seems to be put off by it and grudingly leaves after threatening Squidward with hostile gestures likely intending to attack him again when the chance arises. However the sea bear is never seen again.
Attracting a Sea Bear
There is a wide range of things that can attracting a Sea Bear and why.
- Playing the clarinet badly (they might hate the sound or it upsets them.)
- Waving a flashlight around (its their natural prey.)
- Eating or holding cubed cheese or possibly cheese in general (perhaps they hate it or the smell might set it off.)
- Stomping around (they take it as a challenge.)
- Wearing a hoop skirt (it might disgust it.)
- Wearing clown shoes (ridicule)
- Wearing a sombrero in a goofy fashion (offensive, perhaps.)
- Screeching like a chimpanzee (may mimic the sound of a dying animal.)
- Running from a Sea Bear (might show cowardness.)
- Limping from a Sea Bear (might also show cowardness)
- Crawling away from a Sea Bear (might also show cowardness)
- Drawing ovals in the Dirt (dirt ovals can't protect against sea bears)
The only known thing that can prevent a sea bear attack is an Anti-Sea Bear circle (only a circle, not an oval, it has to be a circle).All the experts say its the only thing that can stop a seabear.