|“||What do you mean, you don't agree with me?! Do you know who you're dealing with?!||„|
|~ Ren Höek (Start of a meme).|
Ren Höek is one of the two titular protagonists of The Ren & Stimpy Show. However, Ren is sometimes portrayed as the main antagonist in the show.
Ren's violent behavior and foul attitude is heavily played upon in many episodes of the series, though he does have a softer side he rarely shows and can be remorseful when he goes too far - most of the time however Ren is a psychopath with extremely volatile and disturbing behavior as well as a bullying nature.
Ren is greedy, delusional and (as mentioned above) murderously insane - all traits which make him an antagonist, though he does genuinely care for Stimpy in his own bizarre way.
His abusive nature is further empathized in the Adult Party version of Ren and Stimpy, which due to being geared directly at an adult audience was free to re-envision Ren as an even more psychotic and cruel (yet still somewhat anti-heroic) figure.
Ren is a bad-tempered, aggressive, greedy, delusional, and murderously psychotic chihuahua. He has stated once in "Stimpy's Invention" that he "loves" being angry. He is extremely selfish and childish, and at tense times mentally unstable. He is also shown at times to have many mood swings.
In the original Ren & Stimpy, Ren is depicted as and violent "friend" of Stimpy - to the point they often live together in the same house: although Ren cares for Stimpy he is also extremely selfish, lazy and intolerant - this coupled with the stupidity of Stimpy often causes Ren to become abusive towards his friend, usually in exaggerated and graphic ways.
Ren is famous for his habitual slapping of Stimpy whenever he becomes enraged, his fist often growing comically large before he attacked - his favorite expression is "you idiot!" spoken in a heavy accent: despite the obvious abuse he receives, Stimpy is often quite happy to allow Ren to do so, being too stupid and/or gentle to think of fighting back.
Ren also has a habit of breaking down into psychotic babbling that turns violent, with nightmarish imagery often being shown as Ren drifts into what can only be described as madness - sometimes instead of becoming violent Ren would instead break down into tears (suggesting he has no real control over his emotions, a fact later confirmed in the Adult Party version of the show).
- He constantly abuses Stimpy by hitting and torturing him.
- In Space Madness, He becomes a maniac and encourages Stimpy into pushing The History Eraser Button which erases the characters from existence.
- In Sven Hoek, he nearly beats Stimpy with a bat and he also details how he shall torture Stimpy and Sven (his cousin who came to visit) after they destroy his prized possessions which leads to his downfall when he urines on the Don't Whizz on the Electric Fence game and gets electrocuted and ends up in Hell.
- In Stimpy's Fan Club, He gets jealous of Stimpy's fame while he recieves no mail and almost kills Stimpy in his sleep but his conscious intervenes and stops him, then in the morning when he receives a letter from Stimpy he breaks down and feels sorry for being a jerk.
- In The Cat That Laid The Golden Hairball, He brutally tortured and suffered Stimpy into hwarfing hairballs for money which he almost gets killed but soon as the episode is over, they all begin to dance in celebration.
- In Man's Best Friend, When George Liquor encourages Ren to attack him, Ren takes the opportunity to retaliate, bludgeoning him madly paddling with an oar until he's unconscious.
- In Jimminy Lummox, He does cruel things including prank phone calls, contaminating the tap water, torturing at baby birds, and killing a fly by trying to rip one of its wings off, which leads to Stimpy lending his conscience, Jiminy Lummox, to Ren to set him right, by pummeling him when he abuses Stimpy which upsets him more.
- In Cheese Rush Days, He leaves Stimpy in a cave to die for money which leads to his defeat in the where he gets run over by Stimpy after getting booted from a place where he sells a tiny nugget to a guy which he rejects.
- In Double Header, He attempts to send Stimpy away to the farest planet, Ursa Minor after the years which caused Ren to hate him.
- In Bell Hops, He attempts to take a picture of Mr. Noggin for $1,000,000, despite not caring about his backstory which his greed gets the better of him in the end when his money gets taken away by his boss.
|“||[looking over to Stimpy] His fan club. How they love him. Look at him lying there asleep! The idol of millions! He's a fool! Blind, silly little fool! How easily I could end the farce with these hands, these dirty hands! [in a demonic voice] And with these hands I hold the fate of millions. [in a disturbingly calm voice] They think he's a god, but he's as mortal as we. I know. [stares at Stimpy's neck] Just one quick snap, and it's over. Just one.||„|
|~ Ren about to murder Stimpy.|
|“||You! Both of you! Oh, what I'm gonna do to you. I'm so angry! First, I'm gonna tear your lips out. Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do. And then I'm gonna gouge your eyes out. Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do. Yeah, you're scared, huh? Next, I'm gonna tear your arms out of the sockets. And you wanna know what else? I'm gonna hit ya, and you're gonna fall, and I'm gonna look down, and I'm gonna laugh. But first, FIRST! I gotta take a whiz, don't you go anywhere, you stay right here, right on this spot, I'll be back.||„|
|~ Ren losing it at Sven and Stimpy.|
|“||I am no mouse! I am an asthma-hound Chihuahua!||„|
- The origin of the gag of Ren being referred to as a "mosquito" could have been inspired by how many of the cast and crew members had at first believed him to be a fly or a mosquito after seeing his concept art.