The Phantom Shadow, also known as The Green Ghost or The Giggling Green Ghost is a recurring antagonist in the Scooby-Doo franchise. It was originally a persona used by both Cosgood Creeps and Cuthbert Crawls to scare away the other heirs to Colonel Beauregard Sanders' fortune, which would later become it's own character in subsequent adaptations.
Scooby-Doo! Where Are You?
The Phantom Shadow first appeared in the Scooby-Doo! Where Are You? episode, A Night Of Fright Is No Delight. There were actually two Phantom Shadows. They were the disguises of two no-good greedy lawyers named Cosgood Creeps and Cuthbert Crawls. The two lawyers wanted the estate of Colonel Beauregard Sanders's will, but had to get the inheritors, including the colonel's relatives and Scooby-Doo, out the mansion so they could have the fortune to themselves. When Scooby and the other heirs arrived to be read the late Col. Sanders's will, it turned out that they would all have to spend the night at his mansion in order to collect their inheritance. Creeps and Crawls then donned their costumes and proceeded to kidnap the heirs so they could keep all of the fortune for themselves. The plan went awry when they went after Scooby. Although Fred Jones's first trap failed to work, they were soon captured and unmasked. The fortune, however, turned out to be confederate money.
Scooby-Doo! and The Goblin King
He appeared in the 2008 Scooby-Doo movie, Scooby-Doo! and The Goblin King.
Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated
The Phantom Shadow appeared on various episodes of this show.
Scooby-Doo! WrestleMania Mystery
He appeared during the opening credits of Scooby-Doo! WrestleMania Mystery.
He recently appeared in Scooby-Doo! Frankencreepy.
The Phantom Shadow makes it's darkest appearance in the Supernatural crossover with Scooby Doo, Scoobynatural. Sam, Dean, and Castiel use money from a recent job to buy a used TV unaware that it is possessed by a ghost child who imprisons the paranormal hunters inside the TV world and A Night Of Fright Is No Delight. After murdering Cosgood Creeps and Cuthbert Crawls, the ghost child takes over the mantle of the Phantom Shadow, turning the Shadow into a true ghost and hijacks the entire haunting. In a sharp deviation from the traditional kid friendly nature of Scooby Doo, and in keeping with the darker and more mature nature of Supernatural, instead of kidnapping the heirs, the Phantom Shadow murders the heirs in gory fashions. However, the Winchesters, with the help of the Mystery Gang are able to defeat the Phantom Shadow and escape to the real world.
Video Game Appearances
Scooby-Doo and The Cyber Chase: The Videogame
Despite the fact he doesn't appear in the 2001 Scooby-Doo movie, Scooby-Doo and The Cyber Chase, The Phantom Shadow appears in the Broadway Level of the Game Boy Advance version of the Scooby-Doo and The Cyber Chase Videogame.
Scooby-Doo! Night of 100 Frights
The Phantom Shadow appears in the 2002 videogame, Scooby-Doo! Night of 100 Frights, under the name, the Green Ghost. He is one of the monsters brought back by the Mastermind. and is the second boss of the game (after The Black Knight). He battle Scooby and Daphne Blake in the Mystic Manor Graveyard. There are some pretty Good hints that the Phantom Shadow would be one of the monsters Scooby would face in the game.
- His picture is on the Mystic Manor walls.
- His silhouette is on the entrance to the Monster Gallery.
- His picture is seen on the ART LOCKED pages of the Art Viewer in the Monster Gallery.
- He has a monster token in one of the seas caves.
- His giant picture is seen in the Mystic Manor Mausoleum.
Scooby-Doo! Who's Watching Who?
He appears in both the PlayStation Portable and Nintendo DS versions of the 2006 videogame, Scooby-Doo! Who's Watching Who?. He is a common enemy in the PlayStation Portable version of Episode 1 and the Nintendo DS version of Episode 2, however he is red so it COULD be based on his Ice Cream Phnatom appearance on the Scooby-Doo Show.
- In 2007, They released a Phantom Shadow figurine with a Shaggy and Scooby figurine.
- In 2015, Hallmark released a Scooby-Doo Christmas ornament where Scooby is being terrorized by the Phantom Shadow.
- Many subsequent ghosts in the Scooby-Doo! franchise bear resemblance to the Phantom Shadow.
- In the The Scooby-Doo Show episode, "The Ghost of the Bad Humor Man", Scooby and the gang tackled with three Ice Cream Phantoms, who resembled the Phantom Shadow.
- In Scooby-Doo! Mystery Mayhem, many of the real ghosts resemble the Phantom Shadow.
- The Phantom Shadow appears in the alternate opening of the first live-action movie, along with Frankenstein and The Creeper.
- Additionally, the Phantom Shadow makes several cameos in Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, where he is seen on the museum banner, as one of the costumes inside the museum, and on the Faux Ghost's neon sign.
Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated