- NOTE: This article is about the incarnation of Obadiah Stane from the Marvel Cinematic film series. The mainstream version can be found here: Obadiah Stane (Marvel).
|“||For 30 years, I've been holding you up! I built this company from NOTHING! And now, nothing is gonna stand in my way, least of all you!||„|
|~ Obadiah to Tony during the fight near Tony's factory.|
Obadiah Stane, also known as Iron Monger (sometimes known as Metal Monger) is the main antagonist in the 2008 Marvel film Iron Man.
He was the co-leader of Stark Industries, Howard Stark's business partner and Tony Stark/Iron Man's personal mentor and business partner whose revealed to be the one who orchestrated Tony Stark's kidnapping by The Ten Rings which they are associated with him as well as he is the arch-nemesis of Stark as he built an armor of his own; Iron Monger in order to destroy Stark and to control the company. He has the distinction of being the first antagonist of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
He was portrayed by Jeff Bridges, who also portrayed CLU 2 in TRON: Legacy.
To the public, Obadiah Stane was forced to step down, and he and Tony still remained close friends though. Stane even gave an affectionate speech and covered for Tony by claiming that he was working too hard, when, in reality, he was gambling.
Just near the end of the film was when Stane's true personality was revealed: he was was willing to do whatever it took to get back to the top even if it meant killing his former friend and anyone who would dare to get in his way-even going so far as to try and crush Tony with a car filled with a woman and her four children.
In the novelization, his heinous actions go beyond that of the film as he was willing to the let the Arc reactor explode and kill thousands of innocents and tries to kill Tony and Pepper when they try to stop the explosion.
Stane was a businessman who headed Stark Industries after the death of Tony's father Howard and became the firm's second-in-command when the younger Tony came of age.
The two then engaged in a huge final battle over the Stark Industries Building and both combatants displayed the fullest extents and limitations of their suits' capabilities and weaponry, and destroyed vast amounts of public property across the city. Obadiah easily overpowered Iron Man in every way. In the final moments of the battle, with Stark's power supply running low,
- Before the release of Iron Man, it was rumored that the Mandarin would be the main antagonist of the film, because the trailer revealed the appearance of The Ten Rings.
- He was the first main antagonist of a Marvel Cinematic Universe film. However, chronologically, the first main antagonist of a MCU film was either Ego or Dormammu.
- Stane was originally supposed to appear again in Iron Man 2 and in Iron Man 3, as Jon Favreau originally conceived the idea of Obadiah Stane becoming Iron Monger in the sequels after the first film. However, at the end, Favreau chose to use Stane only in the first film, while Whiplash and Aldrich Killian were used as the main villains of the sequels.
- In a deleted scene, the final battle between Iron Man and Iron Monger ended in another way different from the movie itself;
- Stane did not fall into the Arc Reactor and survived.
- Stane manipulated Stark into thinking that Stane was redeemed.
- Stane wanted Stark to help him but then, Stark released his hand from him and allowed Stane to fall.