|“||For the park!||„|
|~ Raccoon's catchphrase|
|~ Raccoon obtaining the dog whistle|
Norvirus Raccoon (or just Raccoon) is the hidden main antagonist of the 2014 computer-animated film, The Nut Job. He is Surly's arch-enemy.
The Nut Job
Raccoon is the self-proclaimed ruler of Liberty Park. His leadership over the community may appear noble, but behind the handsome face is (secretly) a calculating and ruthless cad who is consumed by a lust for control and fortune.
Raccoon is first seen leading his group, convincing them to bring more food to store for the winter inside a massive tree in the park. There is only one animal Racoon despises, and that's Surly, a (former) very selfish squirrel whose thieving qualities make him an outcast. When Surly tries to rob a nut cart, he makes the mistake of launching it into the tree, blowing it up. Raccoon exiles him from the park, forcing him to live in the city.
Later, Raccoon sends Andie, and an arrogant squirrel, Grayson, to find food, only to have them get separated. But Raccoon doesn't stop there. His true colors are revealed when he sends his mole henchman and cardinal assistant to sabotage a raid planned out by Surly. Precious, a guard dog owned by King, catches Mole, who reveals Raccoon's evil plan.
After Surly escapes from thugs, he is captured by rats, who are working for Raccoon. Raccoon tells Surly his intentions of hurting the other animals. Surly escapes and saves the animals. When they escape in a truck driven by the robbers, Raccoon lies to them about Surly betraying them and locks them up. Surly and Grayson bust them out.
Raccoon tries to throw Surly off, but Mole turns against him. There is a huge chase through the street, which results in Surly landing on a log and Raccoon trying to kill him. The two of them fought as the log began to break. The animals arrive to rescue Surly, who very selflessly sacrifices himself by letting go of the log. The two of them go over a waterfall, killing Raccoon and Surly apparently. After a while, Surly survives the fall. With Raccoon finally ousted, the animals manage to rebuild their home while King and his gang get arrested for their crimes.
A post credits scene reveals that Raccoon and Cardinal survived and were drifted out to sea, but sharks now surround them, leaving their fate ambiguous.
- Although the movie received mostly negative reviews from critics, Raccoon is considered the saving grace of the film by many.
- Raccoon is portrayed by Liam Neeson, who also played Ra's Al Ghul in the Nolanverse movies and Bad Cop from The LEGO Movie. The Nut Job and The LEGO Movie came out in 2014.
- He is similar to Hopper from A Bug's Life, as they both try to destroy a lower level of animals and force them into giving him their food.
- He shares some similarities of Bill Sykes from Oliver & Company.
- They have grandfatherly evil voice.
- Their own voice actors' age are around 60s (Liam Neeson: 62 (2014), and Robert Loggia: 58 (1988)).
- They both have 2 plans, who prefer 2nd plan than 1st plan.
- They both give the punishment to main witness (Raccoon's case: Surly, who made Nut-cart attack the tree, then get burned, Sykes' case: Fagin, who doesn't have a lot of money for giving back to Sykes), after the witness makes big mistake at the beginning scene.
- They both have vicious henchmen (Raccoon's case: cardinal & rats, Sykes' case: Roscoe & DeSoto).
- They both feed their own henchmen.
- They both get impressed seeing shiny thing (Raccoon's case: dog whistle, that he only wants to collect shiny things, Sykes' case: Oliver's medal, so that he can ransom the owner, who is Jenny).
- In their own film have car chase.
- Before their own defeat, they pull witness' leg (Raccoon's case: Surly, Sykes' case: Jenny), while witness' friends try to help to pull.
- Raccoon might return in the sequel of the film.