|~ Mr. Burns's famous quote.|
|“||Release the hounds!||„|
|~ Mr. Burns's second famous quote|
|“||Oh, you all talk big, but who here has the guts to stop me?||„|
|~ Mr. Burns to Springfield|
Charles Montgomery "Monty" Burns, often known as Mr. Burns or simply Burns, is the main antagonist (sometimes anti-hero) of the long-running animated comedy television series The Simpsons, and a minor character in the 2007 theatrical film, The Simpsons Movie. He is the founder and chairman of the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant and the boss of Homer Simpson and Waylon Smithers, his right hand man who (heavily implied) is attracted to him. He serves as the main antagonist of episodes such as Who Shot Mr. Burns (Part One), Curse of the Flying Hellfish, Mother Simpson and Two Dozen and One Greyhounds.
He was voiced by Harry Shearer.
Moral Event Horizon Candidates
- Curse of the Flying Hellfish: His first candidate for crossing the Moral Event Horizon when he threatens to shoot Bart and tried to drown him.
- In the 60s, he created a germ lab that could have killed everyone in Springfield.
Mr. Burns embodies a number of stereotypes about corporate America, as he has an unquenchable desire to increase his own wealth and power. Burns also embodies the stereotype of a manager by forgetting his employees' names (especially Homer's, despite it appearing that they interact more than Burns does with most of his employees), though this can be attributed to his senility. Burns is also unconcerned and dispassionate for their safety and well-being. His aspirations to apply obsolete technology to everyday life or references to Victorian-era people or places provide a common source of humor on the show. Recently, he has become less evil and more eccentric. He is a Republican.
- Mr. Burns is generally the main antagonist of the franchise; however, in The Simpsons Movie, he is outranked by Russ Cargill.
- Mr. Burns signs his will as "Charles Montgomery Plantagenet Schicklgruber Burns" in the episode of season 22, "Flaming Moe", which implies that he is related to Adolf Hitler and a descendant of the House of Plantagenet.
- He is also one of the many Simpsons character who guest stars on the Family Guy episode, The Simpsons Guy.