|“|| Bali Mangthi Kali Ma.|
(Sacrifice is what Mother Kali desires)
Shakthi Degi Kali Ma.
(Power is what Mother Kali will grant)
Kali ma... Kali ma... Kali ma, shakthi deh!
(Mother Kali... Mother Kali... Mother Kali, give me power!)
|~ Mola Ram's most famous line as he rips out a Hebrew's heart and sacrifices him for Kali|
|“||The British in India will be slaughtered. Then we will overrun the Moslems and force their "Allah" to bow to Kali. And then the Hebrew God will fall and finally the Christian God will be cast down and forgotten.||„|
|~ Mola Ram explaining his world domination plans.|
|“||You don't believe me, Dr. Jones? You will, Dr. Jones. You will become a true believer.||„|
|~ Mola Ram to Indy|
Mola Ram is the main antagonist of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and the Thuggee high priest. He has made Pankot Palace his lair and wants to use the five Sankara Stones to set up the reign of Kali, Goddess of Death. To that end, Mola Ram enslaves the children of a village that had one of the Stones (the taking of it bringing his total to three). They mine for the other two and for gems to fund his cause in catacombs underneath the palace. He also brainwashes humans, including local politicians and royalty, with the "blood of Kālī Ma" to make them devout followers (unless they are exposed to extreme pain, like burning). Every now and then he will sacrifice someone to Kali which involves him strapping them to a metal grate and tearing out the victim's heart while lowering them in a pit of fire and enjoy every minute of it.
He was portrayed by the late Amrish Puri.
Temple of DoomMola Ram is the Leader of the Thuggee cult. He first appeared an hour into the movie, sacrificing a victim by pulling out his heart and lowering him into a lava pit. He made Indiana Jones drink the blood of Kali, turning him evil. He nearly sacrificed Willie to the lava pit but Short Round returned him to his senses with fire, and he fought against the Thuggee. As he faced Mola Ram with a stick, Mola Ram escaped down a trapdoor.
Mola Ram's DemiseIndiana eventually confronts Mola Ram over a nearby gorge, where he and his men cornered him, Willie, and Shorty on the bridge. Indiana cut the rope holding the bridge up, causing most of the Thuggee to fall into the river to be eaten by crocodiles. Mola Ram held onto the bridge and fought Indiana for a while, before Indiana called on Shiva to use the Stones against the evil cleric, who is burned by them and falls into the river where he is devoured by crocodiles.
While Mola Ram's reign of terror finally ended for good, the British government was unable to provide any evidence of Mola Ram's demise due to his gruesome fate of being devoured by crocodiles left little to no trace of his remains, and even moving to punish anyone who publicly said otherwise. Rumors began to circulate that his body had disappeared from the river, and Maharajah Singh also publicly declared Mola Ram deceased and offered $2,500 to anyone that could provide proof, or information on who might have taken what was left of his body.
However, the stories circulating that Mola Ram's ghost haunted the ruins of the flooded "Temple of Doom" pleased both parties, as Singh and the British were keen to keep others away from the area.
In other media
- Michael Eisner appears in an episode of Family Guy playing a similar role to Mola Ram during the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom parody, in which he tries to pull out Peter's heart, but Peter punches him and sends him falling into the river where he is eaten by crocodiles.
- Mola Ram appears in pony form in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic IDW comic book The Return of Queen Chrysalis, in one of the doors in Queen Chrysalis's castle. Applejack opens his door and he appears with an apple in his hoof saying "Kali Ma!"
- He is portrayed by the late Indian actor Amrish Puri who played Mogambo.
- When he is eaten by crocodiles, the Wilhelm Scream can be heard.
- Mola Ram is, without a doubt, the darkest and most evil of the Indiana Jones villains. In addition, he is the only one to be a Complete Monster.
- Mola Ram is very similar to Morgoth, given that he has a vast army of fanatical followers, abducts innocent people to make his slaves, brainwashes his enemies, and seeks the magical Stones which seem somewhat reminiscent of the Silmarils.