Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Medicine Melancholy is a character from Touhou Project debuting in Phantasmagoria of Flower View. She is a doll youkai that lives on Nameless Hill surrounded by poisonous suzuran (lily of the valley) flowers. In her debut, she attacks the player with suzuran's poison for no apparent reason other than because they happened to be in her field. Because some of her attacks create clouds of poison in the player's side of the field which slow the player's movements and make dodging difficult she can be a very troublesome opponent to those that don't take care while near poison. Though supposedly not especially powerful or experienced among youkai, the fact that the right poison can affect even very strong people (or large numbers of people at once) makes her somewhat best avoided.
- (Touhou 9) Silver-coloured eyes, blonde hair, wears a black shirt & a red skirt. Has a red ribbon in her hair, and is accompanied by a tiny doll that is similar to her appearance.
- (Touhou 9, alternative outfit) Same as above, but the red highlights in her dress are purple, and her dress is dark blue.
- Reimu Hakurei (Intruder)
- Marisa Kirisame (Intruder)
- It's a popular theory that the "tiny doll" besides her may actually be the real Medicine, and that she is controlling the human shape besides her.
- Her name is derived from A Medicine For Melancholy by Ray Bradbury.
- Although she is labeled as a youkai, Medicine's true nature may be that of a tsukumogami, as described in Perfect Memento: Eight Million Gods.
- The term Konparo (コンパロ) is associated with her, due to her having said "Konparo konparo, poison gathers" in her ending in PoFV. Konparo is an incorrectly abbreviated romanization of convalloside, a poison found in lily-of-the-valley flowers (it should have been Konbaro or Konvaro).
- Though a playable character and opponent in one of the Touhou games, she tends to end up behind most Touhou Windows characters in popularity polls, and like Shizuha Aki and Minoriko Aki has become somewhat notable for her relative unpopularity.
- She bears a striking resemblance to Nameless Midboss Demon.
- She may have been inspired by Nathaniel Hawthorne's short story, Rappaccini's Daughter, where the title character, Dr. Rappaccini, keeps his daughter, Beatrice, confined in a garden of poisonous flowers, until she became poisonous herself.
- She may also have been inspired by Agatha Christie, whose favourite flower was the Lily of The Valley. This is backed up by ZUN's obvious love for Agatha Christie's stories as seen in other characters like Alice Margatroid, Letty Whiterock and Flandre Scarlet.