|“||The people of the world are builders. But look into their hearts, and you will find they also have have the power to destroy. I am that power. I am destruction! And I WILL destroy you.||„|
|~ Makuta Teridax|
Makuta Teridax (better known simply as Makuta or Teridax) is the spirit-brother of Mata Nui, the leader of the Brotherhood of Makuta and the main antagonist of the BIONICLE series.
Once a trusted guardian of the Matoran Universe, Makuta's jealousy drove him to overthrow his brother, and rule the Matoran, the people he once swore to protect. Makuta is responsible for masterminding most of the story's events, orchestrating everything behind the scenes to achieve his ultimate goal of overthrowing the Great Spirit and taking over the Matoran universe.
He was voiced by Lee Tockar in the animated series.
Teridax was a being of pure evil. He was very ruthless, cruel, psychotic, narcissistic, dangerous, and sadistic as he was willing to commit countless crimes with the lack of remorse and empathy. Teridax was also very manipulative, treacherous, and deceptive, as he easily deceives other beings into helping his cause and to get what he wants.
At first, Teridax appeared to be very helpful, reasonable, charismatic, affable and responsible towards the others. However, this actually hides his monstrous personality as he was power-hungry, uncaring, cold, insane, merciless, and megalomaniacal as he viewed his allies and enemies alike as his pawns that were to be manipulated and disposed of when they outlived their usefulness. He even went so far at betraying them and left them to their fates, which were too horrible even if they have aided him.
Teridax also proved to have a unique and extraordinary intellect, even for a Makuta. He was capable of studying and analyzing every possibility that could occur when he began rising his plan, and managed to fit togheter the victories of his enemies, the ambitions and of his allies and even his own setbacks into a plan that never seemed to fail.
Like all Makuta, Teridax also has a dark sense of humor.
Teridax serves as the main antagonist near the end of the story in The Kingdom. In the alternate Matoran Universe where Mata Nui died when Matoro failed to revive him, he survived the Great Spirit's death as he headed back towards Destral and killed Icarax before consuming him. He then began absorbing the fellow Makuta, gaining mass and the knowledge of each one and eventually became the monstrous colossus. 10,000 years later, he he found the way to get through Turaga Takanuva's light barrier; However the devouring of his brothers and sisters left him as little more than a raging, uncontroled beast, without any willing to fight. He was killed (If he was still alive at all) by Matoro after he sacrifices himself, leting Teridax consume him, and with his kanohi, resounding in the insides of the foul makuta, dispersing his antidermis and killing him for good.
Powers and Abilites
- Power of Darkness: Like all Makuta, Teridax was able to manipulate the element of Shadow for an untold number of applications, from enshrouding his enemies in pitch blackness to unleashing bolts of shadow energy, and even projecting his own spirit through shadows. This could also be shaped into the form of a giant, ethereal hand, which Makuta could use to capture enemies, absorbing them into his essence and becoming more powerful as a result.
- Master Manipulation: Being the most powerful being in the universe, Teridax's weapon of choice is his manipulation skills. He can also manipulate and control others into doing his bidding. For example; he manipulates the Makuta into defying Miserix's rule and
- Kanohi Kraahkan: This is the Great Kanohi that Teridax wore during his reign. In addition to as well as filling the hearts of other beings with fear and anger. After his battle with Takanuva, he abandoned the mask along with his body. The mask was eventually destroyed when Icarax was killed in Karda Nui.
- Shapeshifting: Like the rest of his race, Makuta is able to assume the form of any being or creature he desires, be it a frail Turaga, a savage beast or a swirling void of severed limbs.
- Kraata Powers: Like all Makuta, Teridax have the ability to channel through the powers of the 42 Kraata powers.
- Staff of Darkness: He wields a magical staff that harnesses the power of darkness.
- Antidermis: Like all Makuta due to their evolution, Teridax evolved into an energy-based being comprised of Antidermis, housed in protosteel armor to keep from dissipating. Individuals exposed to this substance became highly suggestible, which the thuggish Piraka used to their advantage when enslaving the Matoran of Voya Nui. Ironically, the gang were unaware that they themselves were being manipulated themselves by Teridax's essence.
- Locked the Matoran Civil War leaders in the Archives and set the live exhibits onto them.
- Defeated Miserix in the duel and ordered his execution.
- Ordered both Gorast and Icarax to execute all Miserix's supporters and those who opposed his plan.
- Raid the island of Artahka with his army, wounded Mata Nui in the fight and stole the Kanohi Avohkii.
- Infected the Great Spirit Mata Nui with the virus.
- Incapacitated Turaga Dume and placed him in the Matoran Sphere.
- Sent all the Toa Mangai except Lhikan off from Metru Nui where they were killed afterwards and ordered Nidhiki and Krekka to capture Lhikan.
- Released the Morbuzakh into Ta-Metru to capture the Matoran.
- Framed the Toa Metru for the "death" of Lhikan and ordered their arrest.
- Ordered all the Matoran to go to the Coliseum where they were placed in the Matoran Spheres, pretending to erase their memories and establish himself as their saviour.
- Absorbed Nivawk, Nidhiki and Krekka into his power.
- Kill Turaga Lhikan when the latter sacrificed himself to save Vakama.
- Brainwashed the Rahi in the island of Mata Nui with the infected Kanohi masks.
- Prematurely awaken the Bohrok to attack the Toa Mata, Turaga and Matoran.
- Raising six dangerous Rahkshi into the middle of Mata Nui.
- Terrorizing the Matoran villages, using fear as a weapon for "guiding" them.
- Manipulating the Piraka into slaving the Voya Nui population.
- Getting rid of his brothers and sisters whom were loyal to him, for preventing threats in his new world.
When he archieved goodhod in the body of Mata Nui, Teridax rised a realm of fear and complete adoration for him, and he was responsible of
- Slaving the few makuta there were left and forced them to produce as much kraata as they were capable of before killing them.
- Playing with the matorans as mere ants.
- Almost destroying an island full of matoran just for spite to Mata Nui.
- Despite being the most evil villain in the BIONICLE franchise, Teridax is stated to be Greg Farshtey's favorite character to write about. He also appeared in toyline as one of the toys which were geared by children.
- Most beings in the Matoran Universe referred to him as "The Makuta", although he was more formally known as The Makuta of Metru Nui until his original name was revealed in the 2008 storyline - even then, he was rarely referred to by the name, except by fellow Makuta and a handful of others.
- In Bionicle: The Game, Teridax was voiced by Sean Schemmel.
- According to Greg, Teridax was to take over the Great Spirit Robot and Mata Nui would take over another Robot, but the Makuta's evil intentions caused him to take over the robot early and misuse it.
- Interestingly, Teridax is also based on Satan/Lucifer. As all of them are the greatest enemies to the benevolent and good deities (Mata Nui and God) and all of them are evil in nature as they seek to corrupt others to do their bidding.
- Teridax also happened to be voiced by the Japanese male actor named Daisuke Gori, who also voiced as the various villains such as; Heihachi Mishima from Tekken, The Fallen from Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen, King Cold from Dragon Ball, and other villains as well.
- So far, Teridax was considered as the most evil and darkest villain among the other Lego villains. While the Lego villains usually aware of their actions, Teridax was willingly to commit atrocious and horredous acts in his quest for power. He also once successfully crossed the Moral Event Horizon a lot of times.
- Over the course of the series, Teridax displayed his behaviors and actions where each of them fit the Seven Deadly Sins: