|“||The people of the world are builders. But look into their hearts, and you will find they also have have the power to destroy. I am that power. I am destruction! And I WILL destroy you.||„|
|~ Makuta Teridax|
Makuta Teridax (better known simply as Makuta) is the spirit-brother of Mata Nui, the leader of the Brotherhood of Makuta and the main antagonist of the BIONICLE series. Once a trusted guardian of his universe, Makuta's jealousy drove him to overthrow his brother, and rule the Matoran people he once swore to protect. Makuta is responsible for masterminding most of the story's events, orchestrating everything behind the scenes to achieve his ultimate goal of overthrowing the Great Spirit and taking over the Matoran universe.
He was voiced by Lee Tockar in the animated film series.
Over 100,000 years ago, Makuta Teridax and the rest of his species emerged from a pool of Antidermis, and became the Brotherhood of Makuta. It was the Brotherhood's duty to carry out Mata Nui's will, watch over the universe's other inhabitants (especially the Great Spirit's chosen people, the Matoran) and to create Rahi beasts to populate and enrich their world. During this time, Teridax created many species, and became the trusted lieutenant of the Brotherhood's leader, Miserix.
As the years went by, though, the Makuta slowly grew jealous of Mata Nui, who was worshiped as a deity by his people. Feeling that his tireless work had gone unappreciated, Makuta believed that he was far more deserving of this praise - a sentiment he kept private. However, after foiling the League of Six Kingdoms' attempted conquest of the Matoran Universe, Makuta began to contemplate a similar plan to seize control from his brother.
Years later, Teridax also ended a civil war between the Matoran of the island city of Metru Nui - a highly prominent location in the Matoran universe. However, his resolution proved controversial when he chose to lock both armies inside the city's Archives, then unleash its many Rahi exhibits upon the combatants, who were mauled to death by the savage beasts. After this incident, the Matoran came to regard the Brotherhood with fearful respect, and Teridax was placed in charge of overseeing Metru Nui.
Despite this victory, Makuta Teridax still craved the omnipotence his brother enjoyed, and dreamed of seizing it for himself. The opportunity for this soon presented itself after one of the Brotherhood's top scientists, Mutran, revealed to Teridax that he had learned the secrets of the entire Matoran Universe - including how to incapacitate Mata Nui. The next day, Teridax announced to the rest of the Brotherhood that he intended to overthrow the Great Spirit, and challenged the authority of Miserix, who was enraged by his lieutenant's words. Ultimately, however, all but five of the Brotherhood accepted Teridax as their new leader; his first act was to sentence Miserix and his followers to death.
Under Makuta Teridax's leadership, the Brotherhood grew corrupt and oppressive, secretly enslaving Matoran and recruiting Dark Hunters to serve them. During this time, Makuta and his followers underwent a mysterious change that left them beings of pure energy, contained in modified armor.
Setting the first stage of his Plan into motion, Makuta infected Mata Nui with a virus that would render the Great Spirit comatose.
City of Legends
Initially, the next stage of Makuta's plan was to capture and brainwash the Matoran of Metru Nui, so that they would forget about Mata Nui and worship him instead. To this end, he overthrew Metru Nui's leader, Turaga Dume, and assumed his identity to gain the Matoran's trust. He also arranged the deaths of the city's Toa protectors by hiring three Dark Hunter assassins: The spider-like mutant Nidhiki (himself a former Toa), the hulking but thick-witted Krekka and the assassin known only as "Eliminator". Only one Toa escaped death - a Toa of Fire named Lhikan, who grew increasingly suspicious of "Turaga Dume". Nidhiki and Krekka eventually captured Lhikan, but not before he chose and sought out six Matoran to become the next team of Toa.
Meanwhile, Makuta developed a giant, semi-sentient plant known as the Morbuzahk to threaten the city and drive its citizens closer to the center. Eventually, it was defeated by the newly transformed Toa Metru, who then publicly approached the disguised Makuta and offered the legendary Great Disks as proof that they were heroes. "Dume" dismissed their claims, then accused them of being responsible for Toa Lhikan's disappearance.
The Great Rescue
The Dark Time
Coming of the Toa Mata
The Mask of LightFollowing the defeat of the Bohrok-Kal , the Kanohi Avohkii, known as the Mask of Light was eventually discovered by Takua in the lava chamber during his Kolhii training with his friend Jaller, a Ta-Matoran and the future Toa Inika. At the same time in Mangaia, Teridax also foresaw the discovery of the Avohkii and the coming of the seventh Toa. Fearing that his darkness will disappear, he immediately extract out the Kraata from his body and fit them into armors of Guurahk, Lerahk and Panrahk, thus awakening them. Teridax then ordered them to find the Herald of the seventh Toa and destroy the Avohkii in order to prevent the prophecy from happening. The three Rahkshi then make their way to Ta-Koro where they destroyed the entire village, only to find both the herald and the mask weren't there.
Quest in Voya Nui
After Teridax's defeat, a skakdi group or renegade Dark Hunters who called themselves Piraka, heard about the Makuta's supposed demise, and searched for his lair in hopes of looting whatever left that was valuable.Zaktan already knew, unlike the rest, that Teridax was still alive in his own essence of antidermis, and used his telekinetic powers to reveal the location of the Mask of Life to the Piraka, in Voya Nui. Zaktan made all the preparatives for his overlooking ally, and after they arrived in the island, revealing themselves as Toa, and enslaved the matoran population, the first mandatory was to make a crystall recipe for Teridax, who gave part of his essence to the Piraka in form of green spheres, which were called Zamor Sphearsm,should they be launched, this spheres would physically drain all individuallity in a Matoran, but they were useless against Toa and were particularly benefactory for the Toa Inika and for Brutaka's species. During the events in Voya Nui, Teridax was just a spectator; comunicating only with Zaktan and providing him more Zamor spheres, until one battle with Axxon and Brutaka broke his crystall receptacle, and he came with the next step of his plan, entering into Mahri Nui and abandoning the Piraka to their fate.
Quest in Mahri NuiOnce inside the black water in Mahri Nui, Teridax's essence crossed the ocean and eventually stumbled upon the body of Maxilos robot lying on the seabed. He then took control of its body and was then contacted by Gorast, who was relieved of his survival before informing him that the Brotherhood of Makuta had found the location of Karda Nui. He ordered her to inform Icarax to gather all the powerful Makuta and their army to invade Karda Nui and transform as many Av-Matoran as possible into the Shadow Matoran. Later, he traveled towards the Pit where he confronted Matoro, who was captured by the second Hydraxon as he revealed his identity to the Toa Mahri of Ice before freeing him from the cell. They then made an uneasy alliance to find the Kanohi Ignika. They make their move just before they are confronted by the Barraki's army of Zyglak and Takea sharks as the two attacked the army. Teridax chose to hide behind the rock while Matoro faced the Zyglak using the Kanohi Tryna as the Makuta did not want the Barraki to recognize him.
After the battle, Teridax and Matoro later discovered the fragments of the Staff of Artahka as the former then used the power to restore the staff. Teridax then planned to use the Staff of Artahka to restore the Nui Stone. He then began to activate the staff's power but when Matoro tries to stop him, he froze him in one of his stasis fields. Before Teridax could proceed, however, he was stopped by a mutated Brutaka. During the fight, Brutaka successfully knocked the staff off from Teridax as the staff flowed towards the open water, thus ruining Teridax's plan. Brutaka told Matoro to return to the other Toa Mahri and Matoro did, trusting Brutaka over Teridax.
Mata Nui's Reawakening
Reign of Shadows
A weeks after Teridax successfully take over the Great Spirit Robot and finally taken over the Matoran Universe, the Toa and their allies were forced to hide in the tunnels of the Archives when Teridax summoned the army of Rahkshi
Final Battle and Death
Teridax was a being of pure evil. He was very ruthless, cruel, psychotic, sociopathic, arrogant, narcissistic, dangerous, ruthless and sadistic as he was willing to commit atrocities with the lack of remorse, mercy and empathy. Teridax was also very manipulative and deceptive as he easily deceives other beings into helping his cause and to get what he wants.
At first, Teridax appeared to be very helpful, reasonable, charismatic, affable and responsible towards the others. However, this actually hides his true personality as he was power-hungry, uncaring, cold, and megalomaniacal as he viewed others only as his pawns that were to be manipulated and disposed of when they outlived their usefulness. He even went so far at betraying his allies even if they have aided him.
Teridax also proved to have a unique, extraordinary intellect, even for a Makuta. He was capable of studying and analyzing every possibility that could occur when he began rising his plan, and managed to fit togheter the victories of his enemies, the ambitions and of his allies and even his own setbacks into a plan that never seemed to fail.
Like all Makuta, Teridax also has a dark sense of humor.
Teridax serves as the main antagonist near the end of the story in The Kingdom. In the alternate Matoran Universe where Mata Nui died when Matoro failed to revive him, he survived the Great Spirit's death as he headed back towards Destral and killed Icarax before consuming him. He then began absorbing the fellow Makuta, gaining mass and the knowledge of each one and eventually became the monstrous colossus. 10,000 years later, he he found the way to get through Turaga Takanuva's light barrier; However the devouring of his brothers and sisters left him as little more than a raging, uncontroled beast, without any willing to fight. He was killed (If he was still alive at all) by Matoro after he sacrifices himself, leting Teridax consume him, and with his kanohi, resounding in the insides of the foul makuta, dispersing his antidermis and killing him for good.
Powers and Abilites
- Power of Darkness: Like all Makuta, Teridax was able to manipulate the element of Shadow for an untold number of applications, from enshrouding his enemies in pitch blackness to unleashing bolts of shadow energy, and even projecting his own spirit through shadows. This could also be shaped into the form of a giant, ethereal hand, which Makuta could use to capture enemies, absorbing them into his essence and becoming more powerful as a result.
- Master Manipulation: Being the most powerful being in the universe, Teridax's weapon of choice is his manipulation skills. He can also manipulate and control others into doing his bidding. For example; he manipulates the Makuta into defying Miserix's rule and
- Kanohi Kraahkan: This is the Great Kanohi that Teridax wore during his reign. In addition to as well as filling the hearts of other beings with fear and anger. After his battle with Takanuva, he abandoned the mask along with his body. The mask was eventually destroyed when Icarax was killed in Karda Nui.
- Shapeshifting: Like the rest of his race, Makuta is able to assume the form of any being or creature he desires, be it a frail Turaga, a savage beast or a swirling void of severed limbs.
- Kraata Powers: Like all Makuta, Teridax have the ability to channel through the powers of the 42 Kraata powers.
- Staff of Darkness: He wields a magical staff that harnesses the power of darkness.
- Antidermis: Like all Makuta due to their evolution, Teridax evolved into an energy-based being comprised of Antidermis, housed in protosteel armor to keep from dissipating. Individuals exposed to this substance became highly suggestible, which the thuggish Piraka used to their advantage when enslaving the Matoran of Voya Nui. Ironically, the gang were unaware that they themselves were being manipulated themselves by Teridax's essence.
- Locked the Matoran Civil War leaders in the Archives and set the live exhibits onto them.
- Defeated Miserix in the duel and ordered his execution.
- Ordered both Gorast and Icarax to execute all Miserix's supporters and those who opposed his plan.
- Raid the island of Artahka with his army, wounded Mata Nui in the fight and stole the Kanohi Avohkii.
- Infected the Great Spirit Mata Nui with the virus.
- Incapacitated Turaga Dume and placed him in the Matoran Sphere.
- Sent all the Toa Mangai except Lhikan off from Metru Nui where they were killed afterwards and ordered Nidhiki and Krekka to capture Lhikan.
- Released the Morbuzakh into Ta-Metru to capture the Matoran.
- Framed the Toa Metru for the "death" of Lhikan and ordered their arrest.
- Ordered all the Matoran to go to the Coliseum where they were placed in the Matoran Spheres, pretending to erase their memories and establish himself as their saviour.
- Absorbed Nivawk, Nidhiki and Krekka into his power.
- Kill Turaga Lhikan when the latter sacrificed himself to save Vakama.
- Brainwashed the Rahi in the island of Mata Nui with the infected Kanohi masks.
- Prematurely awaken the Bohrok to attack the Toa Mata, Turaga and Matoran.
- Raising six dangerous Rahkshi into the middle of Mata Nui.
- Terrorizing the Matoran villages, using fear as a weapon for "guiding" them.
- Manipulating the Piraka into slaving the Voya Nui population.
- Getting rid of his brothers and sisters whom were loyal to him, for preventing threats in his new world.
When he archieved goodhod in the body of Mata Nui, Teridax rised a realm of fear and complete adoration for him, and he was responsible of
- Slaving the few makuta there were left and forced them to produce as much kraata as they were capable of before killing them.
- Playing with the matorans as mere ants.
- Almost destroying an island full of matoran just for spite to Mata Nui.
- Despite being the most evil villain in the BIONICLE franchise, Teridax is stated to be Greg Farshtey's favorite character to write about. He also appeared in toyline as one of the toys which were geared by children.
- Most beings in the Matoran Universe referred to him as "The Makuta", although he was more formally known as The Makuta of Metru Nui until his original name was revealed in the 2008 storyline - even then, he was rarely referred to by the name, except by fellow Makuta and a handful of others.
- In Bionicle: The Game, Teridax was voiced by Sean Schemmel.
- According to Greg, Teridax was to take over the Great Spirit Robot and Mata Nui would take over another Robot, but the Makuta's evil intentions caused him to take over the robot early and misuse it.
- Interestingly, Teridax is also based on Satan/Lucifer. As all of them are the greatest enemies to the benevolent and good deities (Mata Nui and God) and all of them are evil in nature as they seek to corrupt others to do their bidding.
- Teridax also happened to be voiced by the Japanese male actor named Daisuke Gori, who also voiced as the various villains such as; Heihachi Mishima from Tekken, The Fallen from Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen, King Cold from Dragon Ball, and other villains as well.