|“||Look at it this way. After I defeat you and take your place as the Alpha Lion, you'll have that much more time to spend with your pathetic excuse as a son.||„|
|~ Makunga challenging Zuba|
|“||I'm better looking, I have better hair, I'm deceivingly smart. And I want everyone to do what I say.||„|
|~ Makunga explaining why he wants to be Alpha Lion|
|“||Sorry folks, life isn't fair, I'm in charge now!||„|
Makunga is the main antagonist of DreamWorks's 17th full-length animated feature film, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. He is Zuba's arch-nemesis.
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
He is seen at the beginning of the film, where Alex is a young cub. Zuba asks Makunga why he wants to become Alpha Lion to which he responds, "I'm better looking, I have better hair. I'm deceivingly smart. And I want everyone else to do what I say." When Zuba fights him, Alex wanders off, getting captured by poachers and eventually ending up in New York.
Years later, Alex and his friends wind up in Africa, and Alex reunites with his parents. Makunga thinks of using him as an advantage to finally become the Alpha lion. He tells Alex to fight Teetsi (a large, slender, muscular lion who is also Makunga's henchman). When Alex loses the fight (he lost because he thought that it is a dance contest), Makunga dethroned Zuba as Alpha lion and banished Alex, Zuba and Florrie and makes Alex wear The Hat of Shame. When the water hole is dried, he told the animals to go off the reserve to find water, thus the animals criticize his leadership.
After the dam was destroyed and the water was returned, Alex and Zuba trick Makunga by giving him Nana's Handbag to him, then releasing the old lady. When Nana sees Makunga holding her purse, she proceeds to attack him, by kicking him in the crotch, stomping on his foot, whacking his paw with a ruler, wet-willying him, arm-burning, and spanking him before taking him away.
The DVD commentary confirms that "Nana brought Makunga back to New York in a kitty cage".
Makunga is a fat dark tan lion with a black mane with a gray streak in it when he is older and green eyes.
Makunga is very greedy, pompous, mean, sneaky, tricky, power-hungry, possessive, arrogant, aggressive, rude, funny, crafty, and conceited overall in nature.
- Makunga wants to be the Alpha lion because he is better looking, has a better mane, is deceivingly smart, and wants everyone to do what he says.
- Makunga bears a similar appearance to Scar from Disney's 32nd full-length animated feature film, The Lion King, who is also the main villain of the film:
- They are lions.
- They aspire to inherit the throne although they are not the true heirs (however, Makunga is a rogue lion not related to Zuba's family, while Scar is the brother of Mufasa (curiuosly, in the original script of The Lion King, Scar was set to be a rogue lion not related to Mufasa's family).
- They have their personal henchmen (Makunga has Teetsi (however, Teetsi only appears in a few scenes) and Scar has the Hyena Clan along Shenzi, Banzai & Ed)
- They were finally defeated by the film's protagonist (however, Scar was eaten by his minions at the end of the film, but Makunga didn't die, although he was defeated and dragged to New York by Nana).
- Unlike Scar however, Makunga was just more of a pompous jerk instead of outright evil, and the threat that he also posed was far inferior compared to Scar's.