The Makamou are aided by a mysterious pair of humans called the "Man and Woman". They are designed and namef were based on mythical creatures from Japanese folklore.
World of Hibiki
The Makamou exist in the A.R. World of Hibiki, where they are fought by the Oni Kamen Riders. Similar to the originals, they are an assortment of monstrous creatures that usually dwell in the rural areas of Japan and consume any human beings as food. There are two main variations of this group: the bestial Giant Type and the humanoid Summer Type. Makamou such as the Bakegani and Ooari attack Natsumi while others like the Ubume were involved in the all-out battle among the monster groups that destroys the world.
As one of the races of the Nine Worlds, the Makamou are part of the Dai-Shocker alliance, a coalition of all villain organizations fought by the Kamen Riders, who have ambitions to conquer the multiverse.
The Makamou Kappa, Bakeneko, and Hitotsumi, were part of the Dai-Shocker army that was fought and wiped out by a gathering of 25 Kamen Riders in the World of Decade after Dai-Shocker started their invasion of the worlds.
The Makamou Bakeneko was among the Dai-Shocker members who appeared in the World of Amazon. He was destroyed when Amazon used his Big Slice on him. The leader of the Vigilantes police force was also transformed into the Makamou Yobuko as a reward by Llumu Qhimil using the powers of both the GiGi and GaGa armlets on him.
Douji and Hime
The term used for a pair of Homunculi servants that aid a Makamou. Over time, it's revealed that they are actually a series of clones created by a couple, referred to as the "The Man and Woman Who Live In The Western-Style House", thus making them the main villains of the series despite not appearing that often. As seen in this debut in episode 26, they are powerful, though they prefer to evade rather than resort to fighting. In addition, it seems they're well educated and civilized. There's indication that they are humans from ancient times who achieved a means of immortality, due to the fact they use Shikigami like the Oni had in the past. Over time, they managed to blend into human society without any problem and because of it, they're able to conduct experiments to make Makamou even stronger to not only defeat the Oni, but destroy humanity. They also possess telepathic abilities, such as controlling their Homunculi clones, seeing them as mere puppets.
When Orochi occurred, the Man and Woman halted their actions and enlisted the Oni to help them, making their way to the marker of the sacred land to halt the Orochi. Their Super clones started to rebel, but retreated due to being the weaker ones. Though they overpowered their clones, The Man saw no reason to pursue due to their short lives, with The Woman feeling bad for them. A year after Orochi was stopped, they created Satori abduct an ideal human(Hitomi) so they use her to create more stable clones. In the end of the series, they are revealed to the clones of the "Real Man and Woman", who still need them to carry on their work.
- "The Man" - The "Original" Douji, A youthful man dressed in a brown kimono and is seen wearing glasses. He is the one who creates the Makamou and the Douji/Hime clones.
- "The Woman" - The "Original" Hime (姫, Hime ?, Princess), resembling a young girl in a white kimono and carries a parasol.
They are the newest and "perfected" version of the Douji and Hime, perfect copies of the "Man and Woman" with one minor difference: they need to eat a special Armor orb to prolong their lives. Originally, they had childish mentality upon birth with a slight incompetence and tend to goof-off now and then. They were first seen, eliminating the "outdated" Puppets, replacing them and the Parents. Soon after, the Supers serve to fight the Oni, lacking a battle-form with enhanced physical abilities and energy attacks making for it to let them battle the Oni hand-to-hand. In time, the Supers "mature" with a homicidal personalities to the point of being hostile towards each other and an obsessive desire to taste Oni blood. During Orochi, the Super Hime started to question their existence and their creators' intent, much to the Super Douji's annoyance. After being told to protect the Oni, Super Douji starts to question their masters as well and both begin to rebel against the "Man and Woman". This prove to be their undoing as they lose the method to prolong their short-lives and eventually dissolved at the same time Hibiki ended Orochi.
- Super Douji - He wears a red uniform. He originally acted like a dimwit until he finally matured in episode 37, adapting a love for killing things. He fights with a baton.
- Super Hime - She wears a purple uniform and fights with a metal fan. She's the brains of the duo and the first to mentally mature in episode 34 and question their existence and their creators.
Homunculi that act as field commanders to their weaker "siblings". They are able to create Parent Makamou and enhance the powers of the other Douji and Hime. Though mute, they are telepathic and are also controlled by the Man and Woman. They create Parent Makamou by using vials filled with their blood and parts of other animals. They carry golden staffs which they use to stab the ground create Parent Makamou. They usually observe battles and rarely get involved, but they have proven to be very dangerous with their psychic abilities. They are then all destroyed by Super Douji and Hime after being created.
- Black Puppet - Douji/Hime beings garbed in a black trenchcoat, given the task of creating the Giant Type Parent Makamou. The Black Puppet controlled by the Woman were given the Armor for use on the Parent Types.
- White Puppet - Douji/Hime beings garbed in white robes, their task is creating the Summer Type Parent Makamou.
The Douji/Hime servants that function as a Makamou's "parents", created by a special liquid from a Puppet's body and mixed with a certain object related to the Makamou. But these creations are imperfect as though they resemble their creators, the Doujis bears the Woman's voice, whereas the Himes speak in the Man's voice. But each Douji/Hime pair is different as they possess abilities based on their Makamou child; such as having crab claws and dragonfly wings. They can transform into Kwaidouji and Youhime respectively to enhance their fighting abilities tied to the Makamou they look after. Over time, few of the Douji/Hime pairs are fed a specialized orb, by the Black Puppet, which increases their powers and gives them Armored forms: Mushadouji and Yoroihime. No more were created after the Puppets were exterminated.
- Douji & Hime of Tsuchigumo: They were raising a Tschigumo at Yakushima, feeding it humans caught in their webs. While Douji was destroyed by Hibiki's Onibi, Hime attempted to offer Asamu to the Tsuchigumo, only to end being devoured by it.
- Douji & Hime of Yamabiko: They were raising a Yamabiko at Okutama, resembled monkeys and were prone to maniacal laughter while using the fog to cover their abductions, killing the victim and using their voices to feed it. While Douji was destroyed by Hibiki's Onibidume, Hime fell to Hibiki's Onibi, though their child was able to fend for itself by then. Another pair were among the victims devoured by Midaredouji in episode 13.
- Douji & Hime of Bakegani: They were raising a Bakegani at Boso, able to secrete acid and alter their right hands into crab-claws. While the Douji was destroyed by Zanki, the Hime later attacked Hibiki when he was sent to finish the job, killing her with his Onibi followed by a punch. Another set appeared at Niko at episode 15, raising their freshwater child until Zanki and Todoroki fought them. When the Hime was killed by Zanki's Retsurai, the Douji ran for it with the two Oni following, leading them into a trap only to be killed by being impaled by Zanki's guitar. Todoroki fought a reddish pair in episode 19, killing them both with one hit from his Retsurai. Another pair appear in episode 26, with the Douji destroyed by Todoroki's RaigekiKen and the Hime by a kick-version of the attack.
- Douji & Hime of Ittanmomen: They were raising an Ittenmomen at Okukuji, choking victims to death with their extend-able limbs and dragging the corpses into the lake for their child to feed. While Douji was destroyed by Ibuki's Reppuu, Hime escaped only to be killed by the same attack later when her child was mature enough to fly.
- Douji & Hime of Ooari: They were raising an Ooari at Fujioka until both were killed by Hibiki's Rekkadan.
- Douji & Hime of Otoroshi: The oldest of the Douji/Hime pairs, they finally awaken after a century to feed the Ororoshi at Chichibu. The two are rock-hard and are as equally strong, facing both Hibiki and Ibuki. Douji was killed by Hibiki's RekkaDan at the same time Hime was taken out by Ibuki's Reppuu. A second pair were created by the Black Puppet to track down and destroy the Midaredouji. Just as Hibiki and Ibuki joined the fray, the Hime was being devoured by the Midaredouji as Hibiki's RekkaDan destroyed her and wounded the Douji, who was weaken enough to be maul to death by Akira's Disc Animals.
- Douji and Hime of Nurikabe: They were raising a Nurikabe at Shimotsuke, able to merge with the trees, and use their bodies to body slam a person to death before feeding the victim to their child. They were the first to be receive the Armored forms, overpowering Hibiki at the first round. But the duo regressed as a side effect of the armor in the 2nd bout and were both killed by Hibiki's RekkaDan.
- Midaredouji: Formerly the Douji of Ubume, he mutated as a side-effect of assuming armored form during the fight with Ibuki, turning on his Hime counterpart and their child in a cannibalistic manner. Referred as the Devourer, Midaredouji attacks humans, but prefers devouring its own kind which labeled it a reject and targeted to be destroyed. Armed with two swords, the Midaredouji was eventually destroyed by Hibiki's Bakuretsu Kyouda form.
- Hime of Ubume: She and her Douji were raising an Ubume at Kamanishi Lake until her Douji was suddenly mutated and killed her.
- Douji and Hime of Yamaarshi: Recently created by the Black Puppet, the two were quickly charged with raising a Yamaarashi at Tsukama Village. They are able to shoots poison-needles from their mouths and have a quill-impression on their faces. The two overpowered Sabaki enough to have their child grab him. The Hime was obliterated by Zanki's Raigeki Fist while Douji escaped with his child, later killed Todoroki's guitar impaling him. A second set appear in episodes 21-22 under the Black Puppet, keeping Todoroki from interfering with their child meeting with Ubume. While the their child undergoes the fusion process, its Douji & Hime attack Todoroki, bring him to Ibuki so both pairs can kill them. In the end, both were destroyed by Todoroki's Retsurai, though they managed to take Akira out of the fight.
- Douji and Hime of Oonamazu: The first of the pairs to appear in an urban environments, they cornered prey for their child, using this stepping as a homing beacon to attract Oonamazy to its prey. As they possess a hydro-vascular system, they can shoot water from their mouths. The mustached Douji, who tends to walk on all fours, was destroyed by Ibuki's Senpuujin while the Hime was mortally wounded by Ibuki's Onidume, summoning her child as her final act so it could avenge its parents.
- Douji and Hime of Amikiri: Created by the BlackPuppet to avenge the Bakegani slaughtered by Todoroki. They are like the Bakegani Douji & Hime types, only able to fly and their right-hands can become tendrils around them to impale the victim and toss it into the sea for their child to feed on. The Hime was destroyed by Todoroki's Retsurai, with the guitar impaling the collapsed Douji with similar results.
- Douji and Hime of Ubume: Serving under the Black Puppet, they raised their Ubume to his specifications while protecting it from Ibuki until it meets Yamaarashi. While Ubume undergoes the fusion process, the Douji & Hime attack Ibuki, bringing him to Todoroki so both Douji/Hime pairs can kill them. The Douji was destroyed by Ibuki's Reppuu and Todoroki's Retsurai, while the Hime was destroyed by Ibuki's Reppuu.
- Douji & Hime of Dorotabou: Douji & Hime: First of the Summer Douji/Hime created by the White Puppet, native-sounding in personality though their airheadness belittles their true maleficent nature. They chant "Ken, Ken, Pa" when approaching their victims, spit mud from their mouths at the victims and knocking them into the muddy water for Dorotabo to grab and drown before eating him. They crossed paths with Hibiki and Todoroki, using a hit-and-run method of attack that ends with the Hime destroyed by Hibiki's RekkaDan. The Douji escaped thanks to his child, overseeing the multiplication process until the Oni battled the Dorotabo horde, with Todoroki taking out the Douji withRaigekiKen.
- Douji and Hime of Kappa: The two were destroyed by Sabaki, with one of them falling to his Onidume attack.
- Douji and Hime of Bakeneko: Created by the White Puppet, they have no battle form and have feline mannerisms as they sadistically enjoy playing around. The abducted young girls and children for Bakeneko to feed on. Though they escaped Hibiki, they battled Zanki until the White Puppet intervened. Douji & Hime oversaw the battle, cheering for their child until they were consumed in the explosion from Bakeneko's death.
- Douji and Hime of Yoroi Tsuchigumo: The last parent pair to be created. Because that were created by the armored Black Puppet Hime, they did not have the time limit and thus are the perfected version of Mushadouji and Yoroihime, armed with trident and sword respectively. After they defeated Eiki, they fought Ibuki and Todoroki. Though they had the upper hand at first, the Hime was restrained by Ibuki and left open to be destroyed by Todoroki's Raiden Gekishin. The Douji escaped, only to later fight the two Oni, before and after Eiki arrives to wound the Douji with his Rokushou before Ibuki dealt the final blow with Senpuujin.
- Douji and Hime of Orochi (Movie): These two appeared during the Feudal era, prior to the formation of Takeshi. Douji and Hime wore attire of feudal era mistress and samurai. They were killed both by the Riders.
The "Real" Man and Woman
Appearing in the finale, a year after Orochi, the duo reveal themselves when The Man feels fatigue, feeding him an item to prolong his life. Their 19th century western clothing differs them from their Asian-clothed creations.
- "The Real Man": Wears a tuxedo and top hat.
- "The Real Woman": A sing-song sounding woman in a European dress.
Types of Makamou
Makamou are the monsters that are hunted by Oni. These creatures are created by the Black and White Puppets and are protected by Douji and Hime until they have fully matured. Their size and shape are dependent on the environment they are raised in.
Throughout the series, the Makamou had been acting much differently and getting stronger due to the actions of the Man and Woman. But by episode 41, a chain of events called "Orochi" begin. Marked by the appearance of Kodama's Forest, ever known Makamou appears at the same time, increasing in massive numbers to the point where not even the "Man and Woman" can control them. By the climax, the Makamou start to dissolve into a purple miasma and killing by the hundreds. Hibiki eventually stopped the Orochi climax by performing the sealing ritual, dealing with a massive army of Makamou bent on stopping him from ending their era before it could begin. In the end, the Orochi was halted and Makamou numbers dwindled back to normal.
They're the most common in the series; they're pretty much daikaiju.
Makamou that appear during the summer, apparently starting the legend of Ghosts and Youkai appearing on Earth during the summer in Japanese myth. Though they are much smaller than the usual giant types, the true power of the Summer Makamou comes from their ability to replicate themselves in large numbers and when one is destroyed they can easily be replaced. The key to destroying them is to destroy the original so no more replicates can be created. Ongekida (Drum Weapons) are the most efficient way of destroying them. However, as shown in Decade, Summer Makamou can indeed be defeated with other oni weapons.
They are developed by The Man and The Woman, great improvements on the Giant and Summer types. Later on, some become immuned to the Oni Attacks after the "The Man and Woman Who Live In The Western Style House" gathered data from the Armed Saber, which was stolen by the Super Douji and Hime. One noticeable difference is that they are usually created by Puppet Makamou instead of being created by Parent Makamou.
- Government of Darkness
- Delza Army
- Dogma Kingdom
- Jin Dogma
- Crisis Empire
- Mirror Monsters
- Super Shocker
- Sonozaki Family
- Space Shocker
- The name Makamou can be translated "Demonized Spirits of the Countryside".