|“||I didn't throw you away, your kid did! Ain't one kid ever love a toy really. Chew on that when you're at the dump!||„|
|~ Lotso talking with Andy's Toys.|
Lots-O' Huggin' Bear, more commonly known as Lotso, for short, is the main antagonist of Pixar's 11th full-length animated feature film Toy Story 3. He is a large, magenta-pink, anthropomorphic, strawberry-scented teddy bear who used to rule Sunnyside Daycare like a prison with the help of his former Minions - Ken, Big Baby, Stretch, Sparks, Chunk, Twitch, Bookworm and the Monkey. However, Lotso's reign of terror ended when Andy's toys arrived.
|“||The guy may seem plush and huggable on the outside, but inside....he's a monster.||„|
|~ Buttercup telling Woody about Lotso's true nature.|
When Lotso first greeted Andy's toys, he seemed like a caring, compassionate, friendly and polite bear, welcoming them with open arms, giving them a tour and telling the toys that different kids at the daycare center would continue to play with them for years to come and that they would never be unloved or rejected.
However, this was only a ruse as he was later revealed to be an evil, greedy, selfish and tyrannical control freak who rules Sunnyside as a prison and imprisons new toys in the Caterpillar Room, so they can be abused by the young toddlers there. This nature was because of his owner Daisy accidentally losing him and her parents replacing him with a new bear, though he was considered to be a kind friend to both Chuckles and Big Baby before that happened.
Because of this, Lotso has a negative philosophy about being a toy, believing that they're nothing special and only made to be thrown out in the trash. He even believes love is a complete illusion and while he the ruler of Sunnyside, he developed near nihilistic tendencies, as he stated that all toys were ultimately made to be thrown away.
At the landfill, despite thanking Buzz and Woody for saving him from being shredded, Lotso holds on to his beliefs about toys and leaves the toys to their doom.
Lotso makes meet and greet appearances at Disney's Hollywood Studios along Woody, Buzz and the other Toy Story characters and is part the then Toy Story Block Party Bash Parade (Now Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun) and at Disney's California Adventure. Lotso is a very popular attraction at Hollywood Studios and California Adventure.
From The Official Toy Story 3 Website
"Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear is a jumbo, extra-soft teddy bear with a pink and white plush body and a velvety purple nose. This lovable bear stands fuzzy heads and shoulders above other teddy bears because he smells like sweet strawberries! With a smile that will light up your child's face and a belly just asking to be hugged, Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear is sure to become a bedtime necessity. Stain-resistant. Spot clean plush surface with a damp cloth."
|“||Why, hello there. I thought I heard new voices. Welcome to Sunnyside, folks. I'm Lots-O Hugging Bear, but please call me Lotso. (Buzz: Buzz Lightyear. We come in-) (*hugs Buzz*) First thing you gotta know about me; I'm a hugger. (*puts him down*) Aw you've been through a lot today, haven't you? (Mrs. Potato Head: Oh it's been horrible!) Well you're safe now. We're all cast-offs here. We've all been dumped, donated, yard saled, second handed and just plain throw out. But just you wait. You'll be donated was the best thing that ever happened to ya. (Rex: Mr. Lotso, Do toys here get played everyday?) All day long, five days a week. (Jessie: But what happens when the kids grow up?) Well now, I'll tell ya. When the kids get old, new ones come in. And when they get old, new ones replace them. You'll never be outgrown, necteagled, never abandoned or forgotten. No owners meets no heartbreak. (Jessie: Yee-Haw!) (Mrs. Potato Head: It's a miracle.) (Mr. Potato Head: And you wanted us to stay at Andy's!) (Woody: Because we're Andy's toys!) So you got donated by this Andy? Well it's his loss, Sheriff. He can't hurt you no more.||„|
|~ Lotso welcoming Andy's toys to Sunnyside.|
|“||Ken? What's going on here? Why is this toy tied up? (Ken: He got out, Lotso.) Lotso: Got out? (*Walks to Buzz*) Oh no, no no! This isn't how we treat our guests. If they owe my shorts. (*Unties Buzz's wrists*) There you go. I'm so sorry about this. (Buzz: Lotso, there's been a mistake.) A Mistake? (Buzz: (*unties his ankles*) The children in the caterpillar room are not age-appropriate for me and my friends. (*faces Lotso*) We respectfully request a transfer to the butterfly room.) Why request granted! (Ken: But Lotso!) Hush now, Kenneth! (*pats Buzz on the back*) This toy showed ingentive leadership. Why I'd say, we have ourselves a keeper. You hear that? We got... (*holds up Buzz's hand*) ...a keeper! (*Everyone cheers*) We're calling you up to the big leagues, son! From now on, you'll have anything you want! (Buzz: Excellent! I'll go get my friends.) Whoa, Whoa. Hold on there, Boss man. Those caterpillar kids need someone to play with. (But my friends don't belong there.) While none of us do, I agree. Which is why, for the good of our community, we ask the newer toys, the stronger ones, to take one the hardships the rest of us can't bear anymore. (Buzz: Well, I - I guess that makes sense. But I can't accept. We're a family. We stay together.) Family man, huh? I understand. (*looks at Big Baby*) Put him back in the time out chair! (*Big Baby picks Buzz up and carries him back to the time out chair*)||„|
|~ Lotso revealing his true colors to Buzz.|
|“||Bring in the book worm. (*Ken whistles*) (Bookworm: Ah! Here it is! It was filed under "Lightyear".) Let's see here. "Accessories", "maintainence", oh! Here we go! Remove screws to access battery compartment. (Buzz: What are you doing!? Stop! Let go of me! Ow!) (*Lotso's minions unscrew Buzz*) To return your Buzz Lightyear action figure to its original factory settings...(Buzz: No!)...slide the switch from play to demo.||„|
|~ Lotso turns Buzz into his minion.|
|“||Hey, there. How are you doing this fine evening? (Jessie: Thank goodness! Have you seen Buzz?) (Mrs. Potato Head: There's been a mistake! We have to go.) Go? Why, you just got here. And in the nick of time too. We were running low on volunteers for the little ones. They just love new toys now, don't they? (Mr. Potato Head: Love, we've kicked, chewed, drooled on.) (Mrs. Potato Head: Just look at my pocket book!) Well, here's the thing, sweet potato. You ain't leaving Sunnyside. (Mrs. Potato Head: SWEET POTATO? Who do you think you're talking to? I have over 30 asscerioes and I deserve more respect!) (*Lotso removes her mouth*) Ah, that's better. (Mr. Potato Head: Hey! No one take my wife's mouth, except me. Give it back, you furry air fresher!) (*Potato Head grabs his wife's mouth*) (Jessie: Come on guys. We're going home.) (*Jessie walks away*) Whoa, there, Missy. You're not going anywhere.||„|
|~ Lotso tells the toys aren't going home.|
|“||Listen up, folks. We got a way of doin' things here at Sunnyside. If you start at the bottom, pay your dues, life here can become a dream come true! But if you break our rules, step out of line, try to check out early, well, you're just hurting yourselves. (*throws Woody's hat*) (Jessie: (*gasps*) Woody! What did you do to him?) You all get a good night's rest. You got a full day of playtime tomorrow.||„|
|~ Lotso's speech.|
|“||Rise and shine, campers! (Buzz: Commander Lotso! Sir! All quiet, nothing to report.) Excellent work, Lightyear. Come on. We need ya back at Star Command.||„|
|~ Lotso retrieving Buzz.|
|“||Ya'll get ready. You've got a play date with destiny.||„|
|~ Lotso before leaving Jessie and her friends.|
|“||What are ya'll doing here? Running back to your kid? He don't want you no more! (Woody: That's a Lie!) Is it? Tell me this, Sheriff. If your kid loves you so much, why is he leaving? You think you're special, cowboy? You're a piece of plastic! You were made to be thrown away! (*Hears a garbage in the distance*) Speak of the devil. (*Sees truck in the distance*) Now we need toys in our caterpillar room and you need to avoid that truck. Why don't you come on back, join our family again? (Jessie: This isn't a family! It's a prison! You're a liar and a bully and I'd rather rot in this dumpster than join any family of yours!) (Barbie: Jessie's right! Authority should derive from the consent of the governented! Not from the threat of force!) If that's what you want. (*Lotso bangs on the dumpster as Ken appears*) (Ken: Barbie! Don't do this, Lotso!) She's a Barbie doll, Ken. There are a hundred million just like her. (Ken: Not to me, there is not.) Fine! Then why don't you join her? (*Lotso picks Ken up and throw him out Andy's toys*) (Barbie: *hugging Ken* Oh Ken!) (Ken: Everyone listen! Sunnyside could be cool and groovy if we treated each other fair. It's Lotso! He made us into a pyramid and he put himself on top!) Anyone conjure with Ken?(*looks at Woody and his friends*) I didn't throw you away, your kid did! Ain't one kid ever loved a toy really! Chew on that when you're at the dump! (Woody: Wait, what about Daisy?) I don't what you're talking about. (Woody: Daisy, you used to do everything with her.) Yeah.Then she threw us out. (Woody: No! She lost you!) She replaced us! (Woody: She replaced YOU! And if you couldn't have her, no one could! You lied to Big Baby and you've been lying ever since!) (*holds up Big Baby's pendant*) Where did you get that? (Woody: She loved you, Lotso!) She never loved me! (Woody:...As much as any kid ever loved a toy!) (*Woody throws the pendant at the toys and Big Baby picks it up.*) (Big Baby: Mama...) (*Lotso grabs the pendant*) What? You want your mommy back? She never loved you! Don't be SUCH A BABY! (*Lotso breaks the pendant with his cane*) Push them in! All of them! (*to everyone*) THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DUMMIES TRY TO THINK! (*voices change to bloody murder*) WE'RE ALL JUST TRASH WAITING TO BE THROWN AWAY! THAT'S ALL A TOY IS! (*Big Baby picks him up*) Stop it! PUT ME DOWN, YOU IDIOT! (*Big Baby throws him into the dumpster*) Wait a minute! Big Baby, wait! (*Big Baby throws Lotso inside, having enough of his abuse*)||„|
|~ Lotso ranting at the dumpster before Big Baby throws him inside.|
|“||HELP! HELP ME! I'M STUCK! HELP! PLEASE! HELP!||„|
|~ Lotso while being rescued from the shredder by Woody and Buzz before he and the other toys sees an incinerator.|
|“||Thank you, Sheriff.||„|
|~ Lotso thanking Woody.|
|“||WHERE’S YOUR KID NOW, SHERIFF?!||„|
|~ Lots-O' Huggin' Bear's last words.|
- Lotso is easily the most evil villain in the Toy Story franchise.
- In a viral marketing campaign, Pixar posted two commercials, for a "real" Lotso teddy bear manufactured in 1983 (perhaps even longer), on YouTube. One was a typical American toy commercial from the 80's, and the other was done in Japanese. Both feature the "Toy Story Collection" version of Lotso and are included on the bonus disc of the Toy Story 3 Blu-ray.
- Lotso is by far one of the cruelest of all Pixar villains, next to Syndrome.
- The truck Lotso ends up reads "KRUMM". This same word was on Al McWhiggin's suitcase in Toy Story 2.
- Lotso is the reprehensive for Toy Story 3 in the 10-Disc Ultimate Toy Box Trilogy set containing the whole Toy Story trilogy.
- In the Toy Story 3 book with Woody's POV of the film, Lotso has more lines when he confronts Andy's toys at the dumpster.
- The film tie-in book The Art of Toy Story 3 includes these interesting facts about Lotso's development.
- He was originally conceived as a teddy bear from the early 80's Care Bears toy line. This idea was not dropped until after the storyboard was completed and can be seen in the
- The animators also admitted that they increased Lotso's cruelty in the final version of the film in order to ensure that people understood that he got exactly what he deserved, as the test screenings had some kids still sympathizing with him after his backstory was revealed.
- Lee Unkrich, the director of the movie, says he got the inspiration for Lotso's backstory when his niece left her favorite toy - a doll named "Peggy" - at a Burger King resturant, and had replaced her with a new doll named Peggy. He wondered what the old Peggy would think if she came back and discovered there was a new Peggy.
- In addition, Unkrich also mentioned the reason for Lotso's defeat. He refused to send him through the shredder or the incinerator because it would be sadistic. But he definitely got what he deserved on the front of the truck.
- Lotso made a cameo appearance in Up, the last Pixar movie released before Toy Story 3. He was spotted next to Dee's bed when Carl's house flies past her window outside.
- When Lotso is helped to the emergency stop button on the trash conveyor belt, instead of pushing the button to stop the belt and save the other toys, he glares at them and yells, "WHERE'S YOUR KID NOW, SHERIFF?!" This is a wink to the Internet meme "Where is your God now?", a sarcastic way of inducing fear in a victim (the internet meme in turn originates from a line in a Billy Crystal routine making fun of the incongruity of Edward G. Robinson being cast in The Ten Commandments (1956): "Where's your Messiah now, Moses?").
- Lotso's defeat is fitting because it has given him two things he had been asking for: First, The true meaning of love, which he got from the garbage man, who remembered having a Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear toy as a kid. And second, A fitting end to a considerably miserable life, which he would face from the elements, bugs, and mud; and/or from eventually being thrown away again, leading him to die in the shredders or the incinerator. However, this is also a bad ending for him. Since one of the movie's themes involved characters finding their purpose in the changing world or perishing. In the end, his purpose is to perish.
- His thick Southern accent, initially soft-spoken demeanor, and many of his iron fist policies as "Warden"—including throwing uncooperative prisoners into "the box"—are clear references to "The Captain," Strother Martin's character from Cool Hand Luke (as well as Lotso' voice actor, Ned Beatty's previous character, Sheriff J.C. Conners, from White Lightning).
- According to the official movie magazine for Toy Story 3, Lotso was originally created for A Tin Toy Christmas (which later became Toy Story).
- Lotso also appeared in every version of the Toy Story 3 Video Game. He appears in the Sunnyside level of the Wii, Play Station 3, Xbox 360 and PC versions with Ned Beatty reprising the role. He is also seen in the enchanted glen in their toy box. In these version of the game, his fate is not revealed or seen. He has a silent appearance in the Play Station 2 and Play Station Portable versions, and his fate is not revealed or seen here either. He also has a silent appearance in the Ninetedo DS version. In that version, his fate is revealed and seen.
- Lotso appears in three of the LEGO Toy Story 3 sets.
- Lotso's true colors may be hinted at before the release of the film in the LEGO Toy Story 3 playset based on the scene where he leaves Andy's toys to die. The set included Lotso trying to kill Woody and Hamm in an incinerator with the Aliens trying to save them.
- In 2012, the Disney Store released a talking plush toy of Lotso with a talking Woody doll.
- Test audiences who had sympathized with Lotso for his backstory had wanted to him to push the button in the incinerator scene to redeem himself, but according to the DVD commentary, director Lee Unkrich, explained that the filmmakers decided to drop Lotso's chance for redemption in order to make the audience who had gotten to know Andy's toys over the past 15 years in three movies care about the characters even more as they went to the fire, when it looked like the end for them before the Squeeze Toy Aliens rescued them with the claw. Another reason is because they didn't want Lotso to get off so easy, so they just increased his cruelty to ensure to the audience that he got what he deserved (being strapped to the grille of a garbage truck).
- Some people blame Daisy's parents for Lotso's villainous demeanor, as they could have went to look for their daughter's lost toys, instead of replacing Lotso. It is likely that by the time they went back to where they left Lotso, he was already on his way home.
- Lotso's later knowledge of Woody and his friends' escaping in the first place is not revealed, but it is likely that the Monkey managed to free himself and alert Lotso, leading to Lotso beating up the Chatter Telephone for information on Woody's whereabouts.
- An advertisement for a Lotso bear appears in Tokyo in Cars 2, the first Pixar film released after Toy Story 3.
- Lotso was originally supposed to appear in the first film, but the technology needed to create his fur had not existed until the third film.
- In the Disney Cruise Line show Villains Tonight, hosted by Hades from the Disney film Hercules, Hades is looking for villains to call, when he mentioned Lotso. However, he doesn't call Lotso as he "always brings that baby with him."
- Lotso acts as a foil to Woody. Both were in charge of the toys at their location (Woody, Andy's House and later Bonnie's House; Lotso, Daisy's House and later Sunnyside), and both ended up abandoned by their former owner. However, Woody never gave up on Andy, while Lotso gave up on Daisy. Coincidentally, Lotso's behavior was very similar to Woody's original rendition in Toy Story, specifically his characterization in the Black Friday showing. Also by coincidence, both characters also ended up toned up/toned down for the final version due to unexpected events during a test screening (Woody was originally an immense jerk and lacking of compassion, but toned down after the Black Friday reel nearly shut down production of Toy Story; Lotso, likewise, had his cruelty amplified after test audiences sympathized with Lotso and wanted him to push the button to show that he got exactly what he deserved).
- The truck that drove Lotso to sunnyside was a Pizza Planet truck, which has appeared almost every Pixar movie.
- In the read-along version of Toy Story 3, Lotso's final scene on the garbage truck is never shown.