Kumonga is a giant spider kaiju from the Godzilla series who serves as the main antagonist of the film Son of Godzilla and a minor antagonist in Godzilla: Final Wars. However, Kumonga appears as an ally of Godzilla in Destroy All Monsters.
Son of Godzilla (1967)
Kumonga was awakened by Minilla and Godzilla's fight with a Kamacuras. He climbed out of his den and attacked Goro and Saeko, but they escaped. Kumonga then traps the humans in the cave and waits to ambush them outside.
Kumonga later encountered Godzilla's son Minilla and trapped him, as well as a Kamacuras, in webbing. As he fed on the Kamacuras, Godzilla arrived and fought the giant spider to save his son. However, Kumonga was able to overpower Godzilla and would've killed him if not for Minilla intervening. Together, Minilla and Godzilla set Kumonga ablaze, though he lived afterwards.
Destroy All Monsters (1968)
Kumonga was taken to Monsterland, where he lived with several other monsters. In 1999, aliens known as the Kilaaks brainwashed Kumonga and the other monsters into attacking major cities around the world in an attempt to take over the Earth. However, the humans were able to break the mind-control. In response, the Kilaaks released King Ghidorah to fight the monsters. As the monsters battled Ghidorah, Kumonga was able to trap the alien dragon in his and Mothra's webbing. After Ghidorah was killed, the monsters were able to live on Monsterland in peace.
Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)
Kumonga was brain-washed, along with many other monsters, by the aliens known as the Xiliens. The Xiliens released the monsters over the world. Kumonga was shown destroying a trailer with his sharp arms in Phoenix, Arizona. The Xiliens transported the monsters away and told the humans that they eradicated the monsters to save the world. When the humans found out their plan, the Xiliens released the monsters around the world again. However, Godzilla arrived to fight them. Kumonga confronted Godzilla at New Guinea and attempted to trap him in webbing, but Godzilla grabbed the string of webbing and spun Kumonga around like a ball and chain and threw it, sending the spider flying away in the sky. Kumonga's fate is left uncertain.
- According to the German release of Son of Godzilla, Kumonga was possibly created by Dr. Frankenstein.
- Kumonga and Kamacuras share many similarities.
- They are both giant insects and enemies of Godzilla. Kumonga, however, was an ally to Godzilla in Destroy All Monsters.
- Both appear in Son of Godzilla and Godzilla: Final Wars.
- In Godzilla: Final Wars, both were controlled by the Xiliens in their conquer for Earth, only to be defeated by Godzilla.
- Unlike many normal spiders, Kumonga can fire its webbing from its mandibles similar to the Spitting spider.
- Of all the monsters who appeared in Godzilla: Final Wars, Kumonga does the least amount of damage, and also destroys the least amount of objects in the film, when excluding Hedorah's cut scene.
- Kumonga only made a few appearances in several Godzilla video games as a boss or an extra, but yet as a playable character.