|“||No prison can contain me!||„|
|~ Hämsterviel telling Jumba that no prison can hold him|
|“||Well, why not write your memoirs? Diary of an Incompetent Fish-headed Minion: The Idiot Years! (laughs evilly)||„|
|~ Hämsterviel makes up a joke about Gantu after firing him.|
Dr. Jacques von Hämsterviel (simply known as Jacques von Hämsterviel) is the true main antagonist of the Lilo & Stitch franchise. His first appearance was in the 2003 animated Disney film, Stitch! The Movie, where he begins plotting to take over the galaxy. He is the former partner of Jumba Jookiba, who later becomes one of his main enemies.
He was voiced by the American actor and singer, Jeff Bennett, who also played H.A.R.D.A.C., Big Bad Wolf, Toucan Dan, Scarecrow, Mr. Smee, Bradley Uppercrust III, 2-D Man, Robert Canler, Dick Hardly, Henri Ennui, and Xavier the Villain.
Hämsterviel worked alongside Jumba Jookiba as a scientist. It was Hämsterviel that went to the authorities about the illegal experimentation. Hämsterviel was more than likely arrested as well because of the heavy affiliation. Apparently, Hämsterviel's plan was to; fund Jumba's experiments, then take them for himself, squeal on Jumba, and take over the universe.
Little did Hämsterviel know, Jumba was released to capture his latest experiment 626. During these events, Jumba reformed and spent his days on earth with a new family. Eventually, Hämsterviel would escape, recruits Gantu (the former captain of the Galactic Federation) as his henchman, and seek to regain "his" experiments. Hämsterviel's attempts failed but the constant failures did not prevent the mad scientist to trying again. Years after these events, Hämsterviel sets out to harvest absolute power instead.
Stitch! The Movie
Hämsterviel appears as the main antagonist of the film. Once the experiments are captured, Lilo and Stitch head over to Gantu's ship before the plan can be complete. Lilo is captured as well as Stitch. While Lilo is put into a cell, Hämsterviel plots to cut Stitch in half via a laser. However, Stitch breaks free and traps Hämsterviel onto the platform.
After Lilo's rescue and a scuffle with Gantu, the experiments are accidentally released on Hawaii. With Hämsterviel under arrest, Lilo and Stitch prepare a hunt for each experiment with the exception of 625, whom Hämsterviel unleashed thinking he would be another Stitch power wise, but instead, he was a lazy sandwich maker. Hämsterviel resides at the Galactic Prison, where in his cell he communicates with Gantu. He constantly appears on a giant screen in Gantu's ship, giving him orders and constantly berating and scolding him about his endless line of failures. On one occasion, he has escaped prison and went to Earth. In one episode, he accidentally became the pet of Lilo's rival Mertle, whom he has grown to like her and is currently her only friend.
Leroy & Stitch
In Leroy & Stitch, Hämsterviel escapes from prison with the help of Gantu and forces Jumba to create a new experiment, which the alien rodent names Leroy.
He even arranges for Jumba, Pleakley, and Stitch to be sent into a black hole. After Lilo and 625 (or Reuben as he calls himself) are captured, Hämsterviel personally leaves for Earth to eliminate the experiments to ensure that he remains in power. However, before Hämsterviel leaves, he ungratefully fires Gantu, declaring that he has outlived his usefulness to him since he has the Leroy clones to do a better job serving for him. Angered of being used and betrayed, Gantu (with a change of heart) breaks Lilo and Reuben out of prison and they reunite with Jumba, Pleakley, and Stitch (who have managed to evade the black hole). When Hämsterviel goes to watch Leroy and his clones destroy the other experiments, his plan is thwarted by the arrival of Gantu, Lilo, Stitch, Reuben, Jumba, and Pleakley, who team up with all the other experiments to fight against Leroy and his clones. After Lilo, Stitch, and Reuben defeat all of the Leroys with "Aloha `Oe," the angry experiments toss Hämsterviel around like a beach ball, much to his dismay. With the Galactic Alliance now safe, Hämsterviel is sent back to prison with all the Leroys. He is last seen angrily tapping his foot in his cell while the Leroy clones start to dance in their cells to the tune of "Jailhouse Rock".
In the anime series, Hämsterviel appears as the main antagonist, plotting against Yuna and Stitch alongside his lackeys Gantu and 625. Unlike the previous series, Hämsterviel frequently goes out into the open to take control over Stitch. In one special episode entitled Stitch Vs. Hämsterviel, his goal was completed but ended after an epic battle with Stitch. A running gag in the series includes several characters mistaking Hämsterviel for a mouse-like creature as opposed to a hamster-like.
- Hämsterviel's design is likely to have been inspired by Dr. Habbitrale, a villain from the video game Disney's Stitch: Experiment 626. Within the Lilo & Stitch universe, it is likely that they are the same species.
- In the Polish translations of the Lilo & Stitch franchise, his name changes from Chomikviel (meaning literally "Hämsterviel") to Chomikvader (Hämstervader), which is an obvious reference to Darth Vader. Hämsterviel is, however, referred to as Chomikviel in The Series only, and as Chomikvader in a majority of other media.
- He is perhaps the most significant villain related to the Disney animated canon to not feature in the original film of his property and only appear in sequel media.
- In the first film, a Hämsterviel look-alike can be seen in one of the prison cells on Asteroid K-37.
- Hämsterviel is an expert laser-sword duelist.
- Hämsterviel's phone number is: 555-019-829-3434-533-65-5882.
- His prison in Xenon Sector: Prison Asteroid K-37 is Cell 750.
- Hämsterviel is a play on the term "hamster wheel", an exercise decoration commonly placed inside most hamster enclosures. This is actually a running gag throughout the franchise.
- It is unknown if Hämsterviel's accent is supposed to be either French or German, since "Jacques" is obviously French (the equivalent of "John"), and "Hämsterviel" is clearly German-sounding with an accent over the "a" in his last name.
- Accent wise, he sounds like one of the French knights from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but uses ambiguous language when he speaks.
- Hämsterviel's quote: "No prison can contain me!" is similar to Boris the Animal's line from Men in Black III.
- Many other characters mistake him for a gerbil-like creature or a rat-like creature, though he insists that he is hamster-like. However, despite this, and the fact that he has the word "hamster" in his name, Hämsterviel actually looks more like a rabbit than a gerbil or hamster.
- He also resembles a rabbit with albinism due to his bright red eyes and almost complete lack of pigmentation in his fur, though it is unknown if he suffers from the condition himself.
- After the events of Leroy & Stitch, Hämsterviel was freed by Gantu. It was also revealed in the Stitch! anime that Hämsterviel partnered with Delia whom he and Jumba met long ago in "Stitch's Birthday: Part 1".
- Hämsterviel appears in the online game Lilo & Stitch: Alien Interception.