|“||We simply came… before.||„|
|~ Minerva, a representative of the First Civilization (Those Who Came Before).|
Isu, also known as The First Civilization, classified as Homo Saipens Divinus or the Precursors, were an ancient and advanced species of humanoid beings on Earth who created the Pieces of Eden, as well as the human race itself in the Assassin's Creed video game series. Exactly who they were, where they came from and when they disappeared is largely unknown.
With early humans unable to comprehend the First Civilization for what they truly were, they were looked upon as gods.
After a catastrophe that destroyed a majority of both populations, those who came before and humans worked together to rebuild. Those who came before knew there would be another great catastrophe and so worked to preserve the human race. Although they started as an adversarial race they eventually saw the goodness of humans.
In Assassin's Creed III, one of their members, Juno is the primary antagonist to Desmond Miles. She was imprisoned in the Grand Temple by Minerva and Jupiter for her crimes against her own kind and humanity.
Equipment and Skills
- Precognitive Sense: The Isu had a precognitive sixth sense, which has been displayed several times. Minerva once used it to talk to Desmond in the future, from the Apple of Eden in Ezio's hands. This trait has also been inherited by some Isu / Human hybrids in today's world.
- Supernatural Intelligence: Their level of intelligence was so advanced that they were able to create many of their advanced technological equipment, which has since surpassed their time and into the human's world.
- Superhuman Longevity: Though not immortal, these beings had an extremely long lifespan. It has been stated that Minerva and Jupiter walked the earth for centuries if not more, much longer after humanity managed to reconstitute some of it's civilization after the Toba Catastrophe.
- Pieces of Eden: This is their technological equipment, which is almost indistinguishable from magic.
- The Apple allows psychic abilities and acts like a computer system storing all of their advanced knowledge. However hybrids were immune to the mental control, but not the telekinetic control. It can even be used as an unlimited energy source, as seen when it powered the Head of Saint Denis.
- The Observatory allows them to see and hear through a being's eyes, though they required a blood sample to do so. This allows them to spy on anyone without fear of detection.
- The Sword of Eden allows energy blasts, echolocation, translocation and lightning strikes. It was also deadly sharp and shoots out electrical pulses.
- The Shroud of Eden allows instant healing from deformities, defects and fatal injuries, even the revival of the recently deceased.
- The Rings allow for them to generate a protective force field around their body, making them immune to projectile attacks.
- The Eye as originally designed to manipulate the strings of existence, allowing them some form of reality warping.
- The Ankh was designed to reanimate the deceased into living dead being who have complete human attributes.
- Those Who Came Before are directly based on the gods of Greco-Roman mythologies as Minerva, Juno and Jupiter (who are the equivalents of Athena, Hera and Zeus of the Greek mythology respectively) are the three major gods form the Capitoline Triad of the Roman pantheon. Although it can be assumed that there is more of them which originate either from Greco-Roman or other mythologies.