Idulnas (also known as The Third and The Third Minion of Gozer) is a demonic supernatural entity that can travel through mirrored surfaces and a villain in the Ghostbusters IDW Comics. He was tasked by Gozer with procuring the "Selector" for the rite of change.
Technically the creation of Ray Stantz, Idulnas was created in response to Gozer's defeat. Its purpose was to bring about a reselection so that Gozer could come in the intended way and complete the task of destruction. Each subsequent manifestation of Gozer hastened Idulnas' development.
Idulnas appeared in various reflective surfaces across New York City some time after the "Infestation" Incident. He appeared in a mirror next to Ray as he awoke from a weird dream in the Firehouse sleeping quarters. The next morning, at 55 Central Park West, he emerged from the mirror of Jim Silver and grabbed the man. In the afternoon, Idulnas appeared in a mirror in room 426, an apartment unit occupied by the Crendall family.
Hours later, Idulnas was now in possession of Jim's body. He visited the Firehouse and attempted to get Ray to come with him or face the threat of a lawsuit for damages caused by the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, the Destructor Form of Gozer. While Winston Zeddemore challenged Jim's claims, Egon Spengler took a P.K.E. scan of him. Jim/Idulnas stormed off and communed with Gozer's essence from an observation deck at the Empire State Building. In order to draw Ray back to Manhattan, Idulnas animated the bear statue of Wall Street.
2 days later, after the Ghostbusters defeated the Gozerian Terror Bear, Idulnas appeared in the reflection on the rear windscreen of Ecto-1a, and kidnapped Ray by pulling him through the windscreen acting as a portal. He bound Ray atop the roof of 55 Central Park West and revealed his purpose, then punched Ray out. The blow was intended to make Ray's mind easier to influence when the re-selection of Gozer's Destructor Form took place. Ray's Spirit Guide got to Ray first and instructed him to think only of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. The other Ghostbusters arrived and began their offensive by detonating a Proton Grenade near Idulnas. Once Gozer manifested as Stay Puft again, Idulnas vacated the physical plane but promised he would return as many times as it would take to achieve his task.
Idulnas has obsidian protrusions jutting across its body, a skull-like head, and tentacles dangling from its mouth. It appears to be solidly manifested, as a physical entity, and emits a lightning blue aura. When in possession of Jim Silver, it continues to wear his suit.
Powers and Abilities
So far, Idulnas has shown the ability to move across mirrored surfaces, pull people through mirrored surfaces, possession, animation, generate P.K.E. blasts, and generate a magical obsidian recreation of the Temple of Gozer. It appears he also had the power to augment the ambient P.K.E. in New York City and hurry along the process of Stay Puft's reformation.
- When Dan Schoening began to sketch ideas, he researched Roman and Sumerian gods that represented opposites and metamorphosis. He toyed around with the idea Idulnas took the form of the original Gozer concept - Ivo Shandor.
- Tristan Jones focused his first drawings of Idulnas around Gozerian motifs but since it came from reflections, the focus shifted to grotesque and distorted anatomy.
- Eventually, Jones and Schoening leaned in the direction of an androgynous being but with a more masculine build. The final design came from brainstorming creature designs for a future story arc.
- In addition to the Ghostly Gallery, Jones and Schoening posted a total of 11 more concept designs on October 8, 2011.
- On November 9, 2011, Tristan Jones posted more early concept drawings and mused some may be used in the future.
- In Issue #4, Idulnas' suggestions for a new Destructor Form are a Jabberwocky, Sloar, Grendel Spawn, and Nordic Frost Giant.
- Idulnas' name is an anagram of "Dan" and "Luis", in reference to Dan Schoening and Luis Antonio Delgado, the ongoing comics' main artist and colorist.
The Real Ghostbusters