The Hyena Clan are supporting antagonists of the 1994 animated Disney film The Lion King. They worked for Scar until the end of the film. They are the supporting antagonists in The Lion King 1 ½ and The Lion Guard.
The hyenas were mainly perceived as being crazy ,greedy and dimwitted, as they resent the lions for being "at the top of the food chain," and are willing to work for Scar to gain hunting rights in the Pride Lands. However they can be quite aggressive and vengeful when Scar puts the blame of his evil plot of them, which led to his demise at their jaws.
The Lion King
The hyenas first appeared during the song "Be Prepared" when Scar, along with Shenzi, Banzai & Ed, plan to dispose his brother Mufasa and his nephew Simba to become the new King of the Pridelands. Following Mufasa's death at the paws of Scar and Simba's self-exile, the hyenas enter the Prideland as Scar takes the throne in Pride Rock, as he allows them hunt down as much as they want, much to their delight.
Though it would've seemed the hyenas have finally achieved what they came for, the Pridelands start to dry out of food and water, and hyenas start to complain due to their hunger. Unconcerned by the hyenas' hunger, Scar rebukes them sharply and does not allow them to complain nor compare him to Mufasa. When a grown-up Simba returns to overthrow Scar, the hyenas join in the fight against Simba and the other lions, Timon, Pumbaa and Rafiki. When Simba confronts Scar on the top of Pride Rock, the helpless king turns on his minions, telling Simba that the invasion was their idea, but Simba refuses to believe him. After Simba defeats Scar by throwing him off the clif, Shenzi Banzai and Ed along with the other hyenas appear to the scene, having previously overheard Scar's treachery against them. A terrified Scar tries to explain himself, but the hyenas refuse to listen to him as they had enough of his lies and broken promise of never going hungry again. Giving into their hunger, the angry hyenas devour Scar to death as the fire sweeps over them. It is unknown what happened to the hyenas afterwards.
The Lion King 1 1/2
The hyenas briefly reappeared in the film, where they tried to aid Scar in taking down Simba and the Pridelanders. Fortunately, Timon and Pumbaa managed to formulate a successful plan to dispose of the hyenas by making them fall into a hole. Scar would later fall into the same hole after Simba defeats him, where he would meet his fate at the jaws of the hyenas.
The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride
The hyenas don't appear in the sequel, but are mentioned by Nuka, who was visiting the abandoned elephant graveyard with his sister Vitani, as their mother Zira (the leader of the Outsiders) plans to overthrow Simba to have her son Kovu become the new King. Nuka commented that the elephant graveyard has become more creepier ever since the hyenas ran off, implying that some of them may have survived the battle of Pride Rock.
It was also told that Zira believed that Simba is responsible for Scar's death, unaware of the fact that the hyenas are the ones responsible for Scar's death due to his treachery against them in the first place. However, Kovu soon learned the truth from Simba after having a change of heart and successfully convinced the Outsiders to make peace with the Pridelanders, though Zira ends up falling to her death in a gorge after refusing to give up her rage against Simba, much to Kovu's dismay.
The Lion Guard
The hyenas appeared in the series as recurring antagonists, now being led by Janja, who is planning to take down the current Lion Guard (led by Simba's son Kion). However, Janja's plans failed miserably thanks to the Lion Guard's quick thinking, much to his dismay.
- Shenzi: The former leader of the clan.
- Banzai: the friend of Shenzi and Ed.
- Ed: the friend of Shenzi and Banzai.
- Janja: The leader of the Outland hyenas, descendant of Shenzi, Banzai and Ed's clan.
- Cheezi & Chungu: Members of the Outland hyenas, descendants of Shenzi, Banzai and Ed's clan. Henchmen of Janja.
- Nne & Tano: Presumed former members of the Outland hyenas. Briefly henchmen of Janja, until they turned against him.
- Mzingo: Despite the fact that he is a vulture and not a hyena, he is the butler of Janja.
- Scar: Despite the fact that he is a lion and not a hyena, he was the former leader of the clan for his coup d'etat, but was killed by the clan after his betrayal and broken promises to them. Years after his death, Scar came back as a ghost and teamed up with Janja's clan to get revenge on Simba.
- Banzai's Father: He was a former member of the clan, before was eaten by Nala's mother Sarafina.
- The Outsiders: This pride of lion traitors were former members of the Hyena Clan, because, after Scar's death, they left the Hyena Clan. After Zira and Nuka's deaths, the Outsiders reformed and returned to the Pride Lands.
- Deceased Hyena: This hyena was a former member of the clan. He died during the Scar's song "Be Prepared".
- Jasiri is the first hyena not to be an antagonist,coming from a diffrent clan.
- Scar, the Outsiders and Mzingo are the only members of the Hyena Clan that aren't hyenas (Scar and the Outsiders are lions and Mzingo is a vulture).
- Many fans confuse all the members of Hyena Clan as the main antagonists of The Lion King 1 ½. However, it isn't true, because Shenzi, Banzai & Ed (members of the clan) are the true main antagonists of the midquel, making the other members of the Hyena Clan secondary antagonists, because they are the archenemies of Timon and Pumbaa.