Hoggish Greedly is one of the main antagonists of the cartoon series Captain Planet and the Planeteers.
He was voiced by Ed Asner.
He is of pig-like proportions and lives to devour the Earth's natural resources. His love for over consumption extends to every aspect of his behavior and is particularly evident in his "sloppy" eating habits.
Greedly goes after precious gems and minerals, noble forests, endangered species - whatever will satiate his enormous appetite for any rare, nonrenewable resource. Wherever he strikes, Greedly leaves waste and destruction in his wake.
Hoggish Greedly's repugnant, hog-like looks are accentuated by his snuffling manner and snorting interjections. Greedly is well aware of his piggish mannerisms. In fact, he delights in using his grossness to frighten and disgust his opponents. His clothes may vary from episode to episode but his preference for a pig motif - whether in clothes, accessories or machinery - remains consistent.
- His sidekick Rigger usually wears some sort of goofy, long-brimmed baseball cap, suspenders - often hanging at his waist - and straight-legged pants tucked into his boots.
- He is the least evil of the major villains on the show, as he was once willing to give up his plan to sell gas-guzzling cars to save his own son who became sick from the fumes. Soon after that, though, Greedly quickly reverted back to his villainous ways.
- He symbolizes greed and over consumption.
- In Wheeler's dream during the Captain Planet episode, Numbers Game, Greedly is running a restaurant called Greedly's Gluttonous Gourmet Grub.
- Greedly's grandfather, Don Porkaloin, was once a mob boss whose personality was extremely similar to his own (Especially his love of destroying the environment for profit). However, Don Porkaloin eventually reformed and became a dedicated environmentalist.
|Captain Planet Villains|