|“||Heffalumps and Woozles, Heffalumps and Woozles steal honey, beware, beware!||„|
|~ Beginning Lyrics to "Heffalumps and Woozles".|
Pooh encounters them in his dream during the song "Heffalumps and Woozles". According to Tigger, Heffalumps and Woozles love honey and always want it, to the point of being willing to steal it. In fact, they turn out to be Tigger slang for Elephants and Weasels.
Heffalumps look cute and cuddly like elephants, while Woozles look sly and cunning like weasels. A few of them turn out to be friendly in later installments.
Powers and Appearance
Heffalumps and Woozles are both stated to have the ability to transform. Many of them are skilled at playing music, with their own bodies often acting as instruments, and some Heffalumps have extremely specialized powers, such as a Heffalump with a stick of dynamite in his head, Heffalump-balloons that carry pots of honey attached to them, and even Heffalumps that double as watering cans.
The Heffalumps and Woozles came in every shape and size, such as the large Heffalump with a yo-yo, a Heffalump and Woozle duo, a Woozle who turns his nose into a horn, several marching Woozles with a tuba-playing Heffalump, a bee-like Heffalump, three Jack-in-the-Box Woozles, a female ballerina Heffalump and a male Heffalump in a suit who dance with each other in the honey, a harp-playing Heffalump, two young Heffalumps who use their trunks as accordions, a Woozle who lights the fuse of a Heffalump with a stick of dynamite on its head, a small flying Heffalump that transforms into a marching Heffalump wearing a green uniform with a popgun for a trunk, and several Heffalump-like hot air balloons, one of which then transforms into a watering can after failing to shake Pooh off.
In The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Stan Woozle is the intelligent one, while Heff Heffalump is shown as being strong, but incompetent.
After being told about Heffalumps and Woozles by Tigger, Pooh becomes worried that the Heffalumps and Woozles will try to steal his honey. He stands guard over his honey pots until he falls asleep and has a dream about Heffalumps and Woozles.
In the beginning of the dream, Pooh floats out of his body and flies down to the ground as Tigger's voice tells him that Heffalumps and Woozles steal honey. He lands in a dreamy area, still asleep, when suddenly a group of singing honey pots, the same pots he fell asleep guarding, appear and warn Pooh to beware of the Heffalumps and Woozles. Pooh listens to them until, to his surprise, they just as suddenly vanish. As Pooh looks around for the pots (which are continuing to sing), they reappear and begin chanting that he must beware. Pooh gets scared by their sudden reappearance and runs away from the honey pots.
Pooh runs off, looking behind him in case the honey pots are following. Up ahead, a large green and yellow checkered Heffalump is bending over with its face to the ground. Pooh, still looking behind him, runs right up the Heffalump's trunk and smacks into its face, landing on top of the Heffalump's trunk as it stands up swiftly, launching Pooh into the air. The Heffalump bats Pooh away, transforming into a Woozle as it does so. The Woozle's head then turns back into a Heffalump's head, but the body remains that of a Woozle.
The Heffalump smiles mischievously as the scene zooms in on the Heffalump's eyes, which merge together and turn into a blue and pink Heffalump, which then splits into two Heffalumps. The two Heffalumps look at each other, wink, and then multiply rapidly to create a large group of Heffalumps, before the scene zooms out to show all the Heffalumps are designs on the shirt of a large male Heffalump with an umbrella, a hat, and a yo-yo. As the fat Heffalump plays with the yo-yo, the smaller Heffalumps on his shirt dance, then suddenly vanish, and he collapses, transforming into a smaller Heffalump in a red shirt (much like the shirt Pooh wears) as he stands back up.
The Heffalump then lifts up his hat and becomes a Woozle, who waggles his eyebrows at the viewer, and then suddenly turns into a blue pot of honey, which begins to bounce (when the fat Heffalump collapses, his umbrella and the yo-yo both fly out of his hands and off-screen, but the hat just flies up and lands back on the Heffalump's head, and when the Woozle becomes a honey pot the hat then lands on the pot, acting as the pot's lid).
Pooh runs over from the left side of the screen and skids to a stop in front of the bouncing honey pot. He picks it up and holds the pot happily, then notices the bouncing. An instant later, a transparent Heffalump head, filled with honey, appears out of the pot, revealing that the bouncing was caused by the Heffalump eating the honey (as it does so, the hat, which was acting as the lid, is placed back on the Heffalump's head). Pooh stumbles back in surprise and falls down, pulling the Heffalump down with him. The Heffalump manages to take a gulp of honey as it falls, but flinches as Pooh hits the ground. It then happily resumes eating the honey as Pooh watches.
Pooh stares at the transparent Heffalump as it eats. Though it started as just a head, after only a few gulps it has grown a full body, which begins to swell rapidly as it continues to eat the honey. As the Heffalump reaches what seems a normal size, Pooh looks down at the honey pot (likely to see how much honey is left) as the Heffalump continues to guzzle up the pot's contents, still growing as it does. When Pooh looks back up at the Heffalump, it has grown extremely fat, nearly filling the screen, and is still growing.
Pooh starts to check the honey pot again, but as he does so the Heffalump takes one gulp of honey too many and explodes, sending Pooh, the hat, and the honey pot flying. Pooh tries to hold on to the pot but loses his grip as the force of the exploding Heffalump launches him away.
The female Heffalump and male Woozle skip rope while showing off their powers. They first change their colors, then the female Heffalump turns into a ball while the Woozle turns into a square (the jump rope vanishes). They both stand up and glare menacingly at the screen, then tie themselves in knots. They then untie themselves and change their patterns as they pose, the Heffalump making herself striped as the Woozle covers himself with polka dots.
The honey pots warn Pooh to beware again as Pooh tries to hide from them. Pooh ignores the warnings of the honey pots and tries to run away from them, but then stops in surprise. It turns out that Pooh has almost run into a parade of Heffalumps and Woozles. The Woozle bandleader grows his brown nose bigger and the yellow mouth attached to the brown nose stretches while the nose keeps growing until it explodes, being turned into a flute. The bandleader Woozle then marches as he plays his new flute nose.
Then, a beautiful blue female Heffalump wearing a red hair bow and a turquoise blue tutu walks behind a walking honey pot, flapping her arms as she walks. She takes the lid off the pot, but it starts to laugh crazily and stumble around, and she slams the lid back on, then continues following the pot. Three Woozles and a large Heffalump with a tuba for a trunk march behind the bandleader Woozle. The tuba Heffalump accidentally steps on the tail of one of the Woozles, who falls over, and before he can stand up, the Heffalump stomps first on his butt, then on his head, squishing him.
Pooh walks along happily, carrying a honey pot (most likely the one he took from the transparent Heffalump). A bee-like Heffalump flies right behind him, buzzing loudly in tune with the music, but Pooh doesn't notice her. She taps Pooh on the head with her trunk, and when Pooh turns to look, she grabs the honey pot from him and flies off, continuing to buzz.
Pooh chases the bee, buzzing three times, but falls down and is laughed at by a trio of Jack-in-the-Box Woozles. The Heffabee, happily holding the honey pot with her trunk (although you can't hear her buzzing anymore), dives to the ground as a spotlight appears and turns herself into a lake of honey. A beautiful pink female Heffalump wearing a red hair bow and a pink tutu and a handsome male Heffalump wearing a tuxedo outfit and a top hat come out of the newly created lake, both covered in honey from swimming in the honey lake. They look at each other, and the female Heffalump bats her eyelashes at the male, they fall in love with each other and begin to dance with each other on the spotlight appears and focuses on them, while another beautiful female pink Heffalump wearing a necklace and a light blue hair bow plays a harp made of honey on her tummy, and a Woozle rope-charmer with a turban plays a flute and makes a rope come out of a large honey pot.
Pooh comes out of the pot and climbs up the rope. When Pooh gets to the top of the rope, Pooh and the Woozle notice each other at the same time and Pooh leans over to see the Woozle's flute, however the Woozle begins to blow the flute in Pooh's face. Pooh seems to realize what the Woozle is about to do as he blows the flute at him the second time and tries to back away, but the Woozle blows the flute for the third time and makes him explode into a puff of sparks. The scene shifts to a pair of young male Heffalumps with yellow eyes (possibly twins), apparently wearing collars, as they use their trunks as accordions.
The dream then shifts away from the lake of honey to a stormier-looking area. A small flying Heffalump sees Pooh walking past with a red pot of honey, laughs, and dives at him, but instead smashes into the ground behind him and transforms into a larger Heffalump in a military uniform with a popgun for a nose. The Heffalump marches behind Pooh, who doesn't notice him, then crouches down, shaking his butt in the air, and sucks in his trunk as he takes aim. Then he shoots Pooh in the butt with his popgun.
Pooh goes flying. The lid flies off the pot but Pooh holds tightly onto the pot itself. As he flies he ends up getting the honey pot stuck on his head. He bounces off the ground and continues flying forward until he flies into the trunk of another Heffalump, this one with a stick of dynamite on his head. The force of Pooh flying into the Heffalump's trunk causes the Heffalump to flinch and close his eyes as he goes skidding backwards.
Pooh's butt is too big to fit, and he gets stuck in the Heffalump's trunk, with only his butt and legs sticking out. The Heffalump looks at Pooh as he kicks wildly, trying to get out.
But as the Heffalump watches Pooh's attempts to get free, a uniformed Woozle marches over from behind the Heffalump and pulls out a large matchstick, banging it on the ground and then twirling it until the Heffalump notices him. As soon as the Heffalump notices the match, the Woozle places the match on the end of the Heffalump's trunk and slides it into the Heffalump's face, lighting the match. The Heffalump closes his eyes to avoid the fire, then opens them and looks for where the match went.
The Heffalump looks up right as the Woozle lights the dynamite on his head. He squeezes his eyes tightly shut as the Woozle tosses the match aside. The Woozle leans in to check the fuse of the dynamite, opening his eyes for the first time. He sees the fuse burn up fully, panics, and runs away.
Pooh continues kicking in an effort to free himself, but the dynamite goes off, blowing up the Heffalump. Pooh falls to the ground with the honey pot still stuck to his head.
Pooh tries to pull the pot off his head, but it covers him with honey as it transforms into a hot air balloon Heffalump. The honey turns into the balloon's basket and carries away Pooh, who fruitlessly tries to grab hold of the ground. The balloon carries Pooh into the sky, where a number of other Heffalump balloons are.
All the balloons have empty honey pots attached to them in place of baskets (including Pooh's balloon), except for a green Heffalump balloon right next to Pooh's balloon. This balloon notices that its pot is full of honey, smiles widely, and begins to eat the honey (Pooh, however, actually noticed the Heffalump's honey even before the Heffalump did, and was staring at it almost as soon as he could see it).
As the green balloon happily eats the honey, Pooh tries to grab the pot of honey from it. Realizing he can't reach it, Pooh jumps over to the green balloon. He barely makes it, managing to grab onto the pot and hang from the side. His added weight pulls the pot down, preventing the Heffalump from reaching it.
Thunder and lightning flash as Pooh hears the voices of the singing pots again, warning him once more that the Heffalumps and Woozles are everywhere. As Pooh looks down and around at all the Heffalumps and Woozles, the balloon whose honey pot Pooh is holding onto begins to swing wildly back and forth, attempting to shake Pooh off so it can resume eating the honey. But right as it seems Pooh is about to lose his grip on the pot, the balloon shrinks and vanishes in a flash of light.
Before Pooh can react, the balloon is replaced by a watering can Heffalump. Pooh tries to grab onto the Heffalump's trunk to avoid falling, but the Heffalump douses him with water.
As Pooh falls from the sky, an umbrella suddenly appears next to him. He grabs it and floats down, until he lands back in his body and wakes up from his dream to discover that his house has flooded (in one version of the Disneyland ride, he instead wakes up to find that he has climbed a honey tree in his sleep, and begins to eat the honey, commenting, "What a wonderful dream!").
In the New Adventures Of Winnie the Pooh episode 'No Camp Like Home', Piglet dreams he is being chased by a group of Heffalumps and Woozles. He runs from them, but runs into another group of Heffalumps and Woozles. Both groups of Heffalumps and Woozles (including one that looks oddly like Pooh) tackle Piglet, then begin to inflate before they all explode, revealing Piglet to be trapped inside a Heffalump jailer with a cage as a stomach. Piglet shakes the bars trying to escape, only to awaken and discover he is shaking the bars of his bed.
In the original book version of Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne, the Heffalumps appear in one of Pooh's nightmares during his quest to catch one. He has set a big trap for a Heffalump, which is an undescribed creature, but is seen to look like a mammoth or an elephant due to its illustration. The Heffalumps also torment Piglet far worse because he is too small to fight them if they do catch one. Piglet hopes the quest will be uneventful and hopes Heffalumps don't exist. When he sees Pooh stumbling around with a honey pot on his head, Piglet runs back to Christopher Robin screaming about having seen a real Heffalump, thinking Pooh is one. He says its head looks "like a jar." But when Robin sees it's Pooh, Piglet is so ashamed of his stupidity he runs off home.
Woozles are mentioned in another chapter, where Pooh is hunting them (he is actually following his own footsteps) and he claims monsters are making identical footprints to confuse him. He thinks Christopher Robin is also a Woozle but then realizes who it is.
Piglet's Big Game
In Piglet's Big Game, Piglet enters the dreams of his friends, where he finds Heffalumps and Woozles causing trouble. He scares the Heffalumps and Woozles by making scary faces at them. When scared, they transform into a sort of potion which Piglet then collects, allowing him to venture farther into the dream.
A number of different Heffalumps and Woozles appear in the dreams. Along with normal-looking Heffalumps and Woozles, Piglet also encounters Heffabees, Tuba Heffalumps, and Woozles dressed as vampires, along with many other types.
- The Heffabee holding the honey pot with her trunk dives to the ground into a lake of honey that appears as she splashes and swim through the ground. A beautiful female Heffalump and handsome male Heffalump come out of the lake covered in honey when they're done swimming.
- The Heffalumps swimming in the honey are similar to the elephants swimming in the water.
- The Heffalump dancers live under the honey, and they can breathe and swim.
- The male dancer catches the female to be his bride.
- It is possible that the two dancers were simply covered in honey from swimming in the lake, or they may have been made of honey before turning into Heffalumps, similar to how a honey pot turns into a hot air balloon Heffalump.
- It is actually slightly unclear if the Heffalump Pooh got stuck in was dynamite or a cannon - because of how tightly Pooh was stuck in the Heffalump's trunk, the Heffalump likely would have exploded if it were a cannon as well.
- Pooh could actually be considered the villain from the point of view of many of the Heffalumps. At first, for example, he attempts to steal the honey from the transparent Heffalump as the Heffalump was eating it, though he may not have known the Heffalump was inside the pot at first. However, he continues to hold onto the pot even after the Heffalump comes out of the pot, and even tries to keep hold of it as the Heffalump explodes. Then, when the Heffabee steals the pot from Pooh, the pot looks very similar to the pot the transparent Heffalump had, meaning the Heffabee may have been trying to steal it back.
- And after that, when Pooh is in the hot air balloon, he sees another balloon happily eating a pot of honey, and even though his entire reason for thinking the Heffalumps were bad is that they steal honey, he still jumps over to that balloon and tries to grab the honey away from it (and does succeed in pulling it out of the Heffalump's reach).
- Many of the other Heffalumps, meanwhile, seemed to be just minding their own business when things happened to them - the fat Heffalump was playing with his yo-yo when he transformed, the dynamite Heffalump was simply standing around when Pooh flew over and got stuck in his trunk, and then the matchstick Woozle came over and blew him up, the hot air balloon and the transparent Heffalump were just trying to eat their honey in peace, and so on. A few Heffalumps do seem a bit more aggressive in trying to get honey, however - the Heffabee steals the pot from Pooh, the popgun Heffalump shoots Pooh to try to make him drop his honey pot, and the blue female Heffalump tried to take the lid off of the walking honey pot (though she slammed the lid back down without eating any honey after the pot started to laugh and stumble around, as her scene ended she was still closely following the pot and probably tried to get its honey again.)
- On the other hand, many of the Woozles do seem evil - the matchstick Woozle blew up the dynamite Heffalump to get Pooh's honey (or, in the case of the Disneyland version, he blows up the Heffalump to get the honey the Heffalump is eating, or fires a cannon at the visitors as they pass by him), and the rope charmer Woozle made Pooh vanish.
- The Heffalump with the yo-yo didn't transform the first time on purpose - he looked surprised when he transformed. Then when he realized that he had the power to transform, he transformed into a Woozle on purpose (he waggles his eyebrows at the viewer with a satisfied expression after he transforms into the Woozle), but then he transformed into a honey pot, which he didn't mean to do (again, he looks surprised as he transforms).
- Each portion of the song fits a sort of theme. The first part, from when the dream begins to after the Heffalump and Woozle duo, seems to be describing the Heffalumps and their powers. The next part, from the band leader to when the Heffabee steals Pooh's honey, is a sort of parade. The part after that, from the dancers to the accordion Heffalumps, is more of a relaxing scene, like a ballet, and the final part has an almost military air, with the popgun Heffalump and the matchstick Woozle both marching, both in uniform, and the presence of explosives.
- Pooh seems to have arrived in the middle of a sort of festival or celebration. Many of the Heffalumps and Woozles are playing instruments, there is a marching band, the lake of honey where the Heffalumps dance is decorated like a stage, with a painted forest background, and in one of the Disneyland versions of the ride, a Heffabee with a camera is taking a picture of the popgun Heffalump, who is juggling some balls while balancing on a larger ball. If this is correct, most of the Heffalumps and Woozles would have been part of the parade/festival (the marching band Woozles and Tuba Heffalump, the popgun Heffalump, the dynamite Heffalump and matchstick Woozle, all the Heffalumps and Woozles in the lake of honey), though some of them, such as the large Heffalump with the yo-yo and the Heffabee, may have been spectators instead.
- Pooh was walking towards the dynamite Heffalump before being shot by the popgun Heffalump. Unless he was so distracted by the honey pot he was carrying that he didn't even see the dynamite Heffalump, Pooh could have been walking to the Heffalump on purpose, meaning he knew it was friendly.
- The matchstick Woozle may have blown up the dynamite Heffalump to try to blow up Pooh as well, thereby getting the honey pot Pooh had stuck on his head, or it may have blown up the Heffalump in order to rescue Pooh. Since the Woozle runs away before the Heffalump explodes and does not return (though this may be because he didn't get far away enough in time and was blown up as well, or it could be that Pooh's honey pot turned into a balloon and carried Pooh away before the Woozle could react), it seems more likely that he was trying to save Pooh (though if this is the case, it is unclear why he choose to blow up the Heffalump instead of pulling Pooh out of the Heffalump's trunk).
- On the other hand, in one version of the Disneyland ride, the dynamite Heffalump is simply eating honey and does not have Pooh stuck in his trunk, but the matchstick Woozle is still attempting to blow up the Heffalump, so it may be that the Woozle really was just after Pooh's honey.
- Another possibility is that, since the Woozle walked over almost as soon as Pooh hit the Heffalump, the Woozle may have been plotting to blow up the Heffalump regardless of Pooh's presence.
- The concept art of the hot air balloon scene shows that all of the other hot air balloons, except the one with the honey pot, originally had Woozles riding in them, so it may be that the matchstick Woozle was originally planned to pursue Pooh in a balloon of his own.
- The concept art of the hot air balloon having ears may suggest it was originally meant to grow larger as it drank the honey as the transparent and bee Heffalumps (Tokyo ride) do. The ears could also have been intended to make it obvious that this balloon was different from the others, as it was the only balloon in the concept art without a Woozle riding in it (it had a honey pot instead), and was the only one that turned into a watering can.
- Pooh ran over to the honey pot almost instantly after the yo-yo Heffalump transformed into it, so he was likely watching the Heffalump play with the yo-yo when it transformed.
- Pooh seems fairly unaware throughout his dream - when the fat Heffalump with the yo-yo transformed into the honey pot, Pooh did not notice the pot bouncing, even when he picked it up (he also apparently did not find anything odd about a Heffalump suddenly turning into a honey pot in the first place). He also failed to notice the Heffabee behind him, even though she was buzzing loudly, and did not notice the popgun Heffalump smashing into the ground right behind him and then following him. He even failed to notice the rope-charmer Woozle as he was climbing up the rope (of course, the rope charmer also seems to have not noticed Pooh until Pooh reached the top of the rope). He may also have not noticed that he was walking towards the dynamite Heffalump prior to being shot (or he may have been walking towards the dynamite Heffalump intentionally for some reason).
- The accordion Heffalumps seem to be wearing collars.
- The popgun Heffalump shakes his butt before shooting Pooh.
- Based on the line "If honey's what you covet, you'll find that they love it," it may be that the Heffalumps and Woozles do not even like honey, but only want it because Pooh does.
- When the transparent Heffalump starts to explode, he first looks satisfied and happy, then his expression changes and he looks panicked as he fully explodes.
- When the male Heffalump dancer caught the female, he was surprised by how heavy she was - his eyes looked surprised and his hat flew off for an instant - and almost dropped her before resuming the dance.
- When the fat Heffalump with the yo-yo transformed into a honey pot, it is unclear if the transparent Heffalump that came out of the pot was the same as the fat Heffalump, or if it was a different Heffalump that spontaneously appeared, like the red hot air balloon Heffalump or (possibly) all the Heffalumps and Woozles in the honey lake (see the above theory about the dancers being made of honey).
- In several versions of the ride, the "confusle" Heffalump seems to be staring at the butt of a female Heffalump as she poses.
- Likewise, in Pooh's dream in the movie, both the dynamite Heffalump and the red Heffalump balloon seem to stare at Pooh's butt (though in the case of the dynamite Heffalump, this may be just because Pooh was stuck in his trunk).
- It is unclear how much control the Heffalumps and Woozles have over their powers. For example, the fat Heffalump with the yo-yo may not have transformed on purpose - same for the first Heffalump that Pooh runs into, who became the "confusle" Heffalump. Likewise, it is doubtful that the transparent Heffalump intended to explode or that the flying Heffalump knew flying into the ground would cause him to transform into the popgun Heffalump (he was probably instead trying to land on Pooh to grab the honey pot from him, but when that didn't work he instead shot Pooh in the butt in the hopes it would make Pooh drop the pot). In addition, the pot on Pooh's head spontaneously turns into a Heffalump, the Heffabee probably didn't intend to make the lake of honey appear when she flew into the ground, and the hot air balloon vanishes right as it seems it is about to successfully shake Pooh off. On the other hand, the jump-rope Heffalump and Woozle duo seem to transform on purpose, and the bandleader Woozle turns his nose into a flute intentionally.
- Several times Pooh obtains a honey pot with no indication of how - the first pot he gets is from when the fat yo-yo Heffalump transformed into it, and it is possible that the pot the Heffabee stole from him was the same pot, but it is never shown how he got the red pot he was carrying when the popgun Heffalump shot him. It's also unclear why he was walking towards the dynamite Heffalump with his honey, unless he was intending to share it.
- When the Woozle lights the fuse of the dynamite Heffalump, the Heffalump squeezes his eyes shut, suggesting he knew he was about to explode, as opposed to the transparent Heffalump earlier on, who looked very surprised as he exploded (though the dynamite Heffalump closes his eyes three other times - when Pooh flies into him, when he notices the Woozle, and when the Woozle lights the match - he closes them much more tightly after his fuse is lit).
- The image of Pooh flying out of his body and returning to it at the end of the dream, combined with the fact that real Heffalumps and Woozles appear later, could show that the "dream" actually happened, with Pooh somehow unintentionally projecting himself into wherever the Heffalumps and Woozles happen to live (perhaps because of how much he was thinking of the Heffalumps and Woozles when he fell asleep).
- Further evidence of this could be that Pooh is not in many of the scenes in which the Heffalumps and Woozles appear, even though it is supposedly his dream.
- The matchstick Woozle was working with the popgun Heffalump, who had spent the whole dream looking for Pooh to take his honey. It could be that the popgun Heffalump's exclamation was in fact "It's him! Ho ho!" instead of "Heh heh, ho ho!" (since there are no subtitles for him), meaning that he had spent the entire dream plotting to shoot Pooh into the dynamite Heffalump, who the matchstick Woozle would then blow up, in order to get Pooh's honey.
- In the first part of the dream, the fat Heffalump transforms into a honey pot for no apparent reason aside from the song's line that they come in all shapes and sizes (the Heffalump himself even looked shocked as it happened). In the last part of the dream, a honey pot turns into a Heffalump for no reason (well, the transformation could have been triggered by the dynamite Heffalump exploding, but there is still no reason why a pot of honey would suddenly become a Heffalump), mirroring the scene from the beginning.
- The transparent Heffalump never seemed to notice Pooh - when Pooh picked up the pot it came out, and it did blink when Pooh pulled it down, but it never looks up from its honey to see him.
- The dynamite Heffalump was friendly. Pooh knew this and was bringing his honey over to the dynamite Heffalump to share it and make friends with the Heffalump, but the popgun Heffalump saw him and wanted the honey for himself, so he shot Pooh in the butt to make him drop the pot, but Pooh held onto the pot and got it stuck on his head instead as he went flying, until he got stuck in the dynamite Heffalump's trunk. The matchstick Woozle saw this and blew up the Heffalump in order to get the pot on Pooh's head.
- Some of the Heffalumps seem to be aware of the viewer - the fat Heffalump waggles his eyebrows at the viewer after transforming into a Woozle, and the pink Heffalump with the harp looks directly at the viewer at one point.
- The flying Heffalump intended to land on Pooh, hoping to either make him drop the honey pot or to squish him and take the honey. Of course, given how often Heffalumps transform, the flying Heffalump landing on Pooh might just have resulted in a "Pooh-alump".
- The popgun Heffalump is like an evil Pooh - he mimics Poohs walk exactly, and is just as focused on honey as Pooh is. His shooting Pooh to get Pooh's honey mirrors both how Pooh attempts to take honey from the Heffalumps, and how Pooh takes honey from honeybees.
- After being shot by the popgun, Pooh seems to put the honey pot on his head on purpose, possibly to protect himself from bouncing off the ground.
- The hot air balloons at the end match up with the singing honey pots in the beginning, sharing a color scheme (red, green, blue and brown).
Variations in the Rides
There are several rides based on the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and each one takes a slightly different version of his dream.
In this version of the ride, there is an additional singing honeypot, a female pink one. Additionally, the red balloon Pooh rides in has a full honey pot, which Pooh happily eats as the balloon hovers over a swirling whirlpool of honey. Meanwhile, the "confusle" Heffalump has become extremely large, and is watching the jump-roping Heffalump and Woozle duo. Further ahead, the dynamite Heffalump is eating honey as the matchstick Woozle tries to blow him up, and a pair of watering can Heffalumps attempt to extinguish the fuse. As the dream ends, Pooh is stuck in a honey tree eating the honey, and comments "what a wonderful dream".
In this version, a group of Heffalump and Woozle performers play music on a honey pot parade float. A Heffalump and Woozle family watch the show from the same type of honey pot cart that the guests ride in. Up above, the popgun Heffalump is sitting on a giant disco ball, a group of Heffabees carry honey pots to a beehive Heffalump, and the green Heffalump balloon hovers off to the side. Then, the ride stops in front of a Heffalump with a mirror for a face. In the reflection, guests will see one of two things happen to the honey pot behind them: Either the transparent Heffalump will fly over to the honey pot, eat too much, and fly away like a deflating balloon, or a Heffabee will spot the pot, fly over, eat the honey until it becomes too fat to fly, and fall into the pot.
Further ahead, a blue hot air balloon Heffalump carries Pooh over to a three-headed honey tree Heffalump (two male heads and one female). The tree holds open the hole to where the honey is as Pooh reaches for it. After that, the matchstick Woozle fires a cannon made of honey pots at the visitors. The visitors exit through a giant Heffalump head as Pooh wakes up. Like in the Paris version, he is in a honey tree, happily eating the honey.
Interestingly, in this version the facial expressions of the Heffalumps change - both the Heffabee and the transparent Heffalump look panicked once they eat too much honey.
The California version is basically identical to the Paris version.
Hong Kong Version
The only notable variation here is that the popgun Heffalump is balancing on a large ball while juggling several other balls. As he does so, a Heffabee takes a photo of him.
The Florida version is closest to the movie version. Several Jack-in-The box Woozles pop out of the wall as the yo-yo Heffalump twirls his yo-yo. Then, the matchstick Woozle lights the fuse of the Dynamite Heffalump, who blows a smoke ring out of his trunk at the visitors. Further ahead, the harp Heffalump sits in a pool of honey as the confusle Heffalump watches the Heffalump and Woozle duo and two watering can Heffalumps flood the room as Pooh wakes up to find the Hundred Acre Woods flooded.
- Heffalumps and Woozles appear similar to The Pink Elephants in Dumbo.
- The Heffalumps never stop smiling (though the multicolored one in the beginning does flinch when Pooh runs into its face, the jump-rope Heffalump glares at the viewer, and the dynamite Heffalump also looks stunned when Pooh goes flying into its trunk). The Woozles, on the other hand, do change their expressions (one of the marching band Woozles looks startled when it trips and the Heffalump behind it stomps on it, and the Woozle that lights the dynamite looks panicked when he sees that it's about to explode). However, the hot air balloon Heffalump does smile much wider when eating the honey, and its smile returns to normal when Pooh grabs the honey from it.
- In the California Adventures version of the ride, the watering cans are trying to extinguish the fuse of the dynamite Heffalump, and Pooh is not stuck in the Heffalump's trunk (instead, the Heffalump appears to have been eating honey). Meanwhile, in the Disneyland Tokyo version, there is a three-headed Heffalump that resembles a honey tree.
- Even though Pooh's whole reason for fearing the Heffalumps and Woozles is that they steal honey, towards the end of the dream he attempts to steal the honey from the hot air balloon.
- The hot air balloons seem to blink rapidly when happy, this is most noticeable when the green balloon notices the pot of honey.
- At one point in the dancing scene, the animation is reversed.
- After the rope-charmer Woozle makes Pooh vanish, Pooh returns and carries a honey pot.
- When Pooh jumps to the hot air balloon, the word "Hunny" is visible on the honey pot. Once Pooh grabs the pot, the word vanishes.
- When the honey pot transforms into a balloon, the basket Pooh is sitting in looks extremely fancy. Once the balloon reaches the same height as the other balloons, the basket looks the same as the ones in the other balloons.
- The singing honeypots are the ones he falls asleep next to.
- Pooh being stuck in a Heffalump's trunk and escaping when the Heffalump is blown up by dynamite may be a reference to Winnie the Pooh And the Honey Tree, when he is stuck in the door to Rabbit's House and Gopher offers to use dynamite to get him out.
- The marching Heffalump is the only one to be voiced (though the extent of his speech is "Heh-heh, ho ho!" upon seeing Pooh). Aside from him, all speech comes from the singing honey pots (and the laughter of the walking honey pot).
- In early concept art for the hot air balloon scene, there are a number of differences. First, there are many more balloons. Second, all the balloons except Pooh's and the one with the honey have Woozles riding in them. Lastly, the green balloon with the honey has large ears, which all other balloons lack. (This concept art is seen in the bonus feature of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: Friendship Edition)
- The pot of honey that the Heffabee steals from Pooh looks very similar to the one the transparent Heffalump came from.
- The dynamite Heffalump appears to have only three legs.
- The only Heffalumps with colored eyes are the two accordion-nosed Heffalumps (with yellow eyes) and the Heffalump/Woozle combo in the beginning (with green eyes).
- According to the Disneyland Tokyo version of the ride, Heffabees eat honey through their stingers. During the ride, a Heffabee spots a pot of honey, eats it, grows too big for its wings to hold, and falls into the pot.
- In early concept art, the Woozle bandleader has a different color flute, and the flute has a sign attached to it that reads "We Love Hunny" (This concept art is seen in the bonus feature of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: Friendship Edition).
- In the Disney Monster Hits version of the scene, it skips directly from the transparent Heffalump popping to the marching Heffalump shooting Pooh with the popgun.
- The marching Heffalump is marching perfectly in sync with Pooh.
- The male Heffalumps can be either bipedal or four-legged, but the females are all bipedal.
- There is only one Woozle that walks on all fours, all others are bipedal.
- Later installments show that not all Heffalumps and Woozles are evil, with some Heffalumps actually being friendly in the case of Papa, Mama, and Junior Heffalump, and one Woozle named Wooster who became one of Pooh's friends.
- When the transparent Heffalump eats the honey, it swells extremely rapidly before exploding. Likewise, when the Heffabee in the Disneyland Tokyo version of the ride eats the honey, it quickly becomes too fat to fly and falls into the pot. However, when the hot air balloon eats the honey, its size does not change.
- Throughout most of the scene, honey is spelled "hunny". However, the jack-in-the-box Woozles spell it "hunney" instead.
- Heffalumps are based on elephants, while Woozles are based on weasels.
- Despite being evil, most Heffalumps are still cute and adorable. Many of them look like young elephants.
- The flying Heffalump starts to transform before hitting the ground.
- The dancing scene mirrors a dancing scene from Pink Elephants on Parade.
- Even though the dream is supposedly a nightmare, when Pooh wakes up from it in the Disneyland version of the ride, he comments, "What a wonderful dream!"
- Pooh flies into the dynamite Heffalump's trunk with enough force that the Heffalump actually skids back (though this is difficult to see clearly due to how quickly it happens).
- Two Heffalumps swim in the honey and dance with their mate.
- The matchstick Woozle's eyes are closed the entire time he lights the dynamite, and he only opens them when he check on the dynamite's fuse.
- In one version of the Disneyland ride, the dynamite Heffalump seems to have been eating honey, rather than having Pooh stuck in his trunk.
- As the transparent Heffalump eats the honey, Pooh keeps looking back and forth from the honey pot to the Heffalump.
- The male Heffalumps all wear different outfits (or nothing), but the female Heffalumps all wear miniskits and hairbows (with the exception of the Heffalump with the harp, who doesn't wear anything except a necklace and hairbow).
- All the Woozles seem to be made of fabric, while some Heffalumps are fabric and some seem to be rubber, like balloons.
- Some of the Heffalumps have nostrils in their trunks, while other have trunks that seem more like pipes. Since Heffalumps (aside from the Heffabee) seem to eat with their trunks, it is unclear how the ones with nostrils eat.
- In the Norwegian dub of the song, the flying Heffalump's (which turns into the military Heffalump) laughing is replaced with "Ah nej se der", which roughly translates to "Oh! Look over there."
- Though Pooh kicks wildly the whole time he's stuck in the Heffalump's trunk, he seems to start kicking faster after the Woozle lights the match.
- The transparent Heffalump's legs never touch the ground - by the time its legs are fully grown, it is too fat for its legs to reach.
- The transparent Heffalump continues to grow as he explodes - it is not until he explodes that his ears and feet are fully formed.
- The honey pots hold far more honey than they should, maybe even an infinite amount-the hot air Heffalump and the transparent Heffalump take large enough gulps that a single gulp should have emptied a pot, but the pots don't seem to get any less full.
- The transparent Heffalump only takes seven gulps of honey, yet that is enough to go from just a head, to giant, to exploding. On the other hand, the hot air balloon takes four without growing at all.
- It is unclear how the dynamite Heffalump would eat honey, as its trunk is too large to fit in a honey pot.
- Concept art shows the scene taking place inside Pooh's house, suggesting the image of him flying out of his body was a late addition, and that the scene would instead have had the Heffalumps and Woozles entering his house. This is referenced by the fact that the singing honeypots in the final scene are the same ones that he falls asleep next to.