Gustav Fiers (or The Gentleman) is a Bigger Bad in Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man franchise. He appears to be a representative of Oscorp and later associate of Harry Osborn, assisting him in forming the crew "The Sinister Six". Fiers first appeared in a post-credit scene in the 2012 film The Amazing Spider-Man in which he was credited as The Man in Shadows, but was identified at the end of The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
He was portrayed by the late Michael Massee.
The Amazing Spider-Man
When an Oscorp employee Dr. Curt Connors is locked up at Beloit Psychiatric Asylum, he is approached in his cell by Fiers who asks Connors if he told Peter Parker the truth about his father, in which Connors had replied no. Satisfied, Fiers said he would leave Peter be now now which leads to Connors demanding him to leave Peter alone, in which Fiers simply vanishes.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Fiers visits Harry Osborn in his cell at Ravencroft Institute in which they plan to set up a team, and Harry requests to keep it small. Harry then sends Fiers to the Oscorp tower which has weapons and equipment needed for their goals.
It was presumed that he would the main antagonist, due to the film apparently being a redemption story. However, all The Amazing Spider-Man's spinoffs and sequels have been cancelled.
- At the time of the release of The Amazing Spider-Man, the man's identity was a secret, so he was simply credited as "Man in the Shadows". His identity was later revealed in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, where he was also credited as "Gustav Fiers (The Gentleman)" or, as refered in the film, Mr. Fiers.
- He was the main villain in the Adam-Troy Castro's trilogy of Spider-Man novels.
- It is rumored that the man that tried to kill Peter's parents on their plane was Gustav Fiers, who somehow survived the plane crash.
- In both movies his face is never shown, only silhouette of his body is seen.
- In both films he visits someone who is incarcerated.
- Because further The Amazing Spider-Man movies were cancelled, his true motives remain a mistery.
|Spider-Man Movie Villains|
Sam Raimi series
Marc Webb series