|“||That Weasel is such a buzz-kill. Let's go kids!||„|
|~ Gavin complaining to Roger and Gertie about Buck.|
|“||While you run for your little lives, we'll be high in the sky, safe as those birdies! (Asteroid kills one bird) Lucky shot (multiple asteroids kill more birds). Very Lucky Shot!||„|
Gavin is the (former) main antagonist of Blue Sky's 11th animated feature film, Ice Age: Collision Course, the fifth installment of the Ice Age franchise. He is a Dakotaraptor who steals eggs for a living and the father of Roger and Gertie.
He was voiced by Nick Offerman.
Role in the film
He is first seen in the underground Dinosaur World, stealing an egg from a Triceratops along with his children, only to be stopped by Buck the weasel who manages to fight all three of them and defeat them. Later, after Buck goes to the surface and finds his friends-the Herd. They listen to their conversation and hear that an enormous meteor is going to crash on Earth and kill all life. After they leave, Gavin and his children decide to sabotage their attempts to stop the meteor.
Concluding that due to their ability to fly, they will be able to survive, whilst the mammals won't. Afterwards, they track down the Herd and he reveals he is going to kill them, so they won't save all lives, and so he can rule Earth later. Thankfully, Buck manages to lead the Herd to the forest and once again defeat Gavin and his children. They try to repeat their attack later during a storm, but end up getting electrocuted.
During nighttime, Gavin orders his son Roger to kidnap Buck, but he accidentally takes Granny, Sid the sloth's grandmother. Gavin tries to eat her, but fails and instead throws her off the ledge they were on, where she finds Geotopia. Finally, the Herd realize that the reason the meteor is coming is because of a magnetic attraction between the remains of the previous meteors that crashed on Earth, so they try to fill a volcano with the remains in order to blast it off to space and pull the meteor away.
Gavin, Roger, and Gertie intervene by grabbing and throwing the largest part off the mountain. Gavin then orders Roger to kill Buck, and reveals him his scheme. However, Roger realizes that they will not be able to survive the meteor's crashing. So he finally stands up to his father and manages to talk him into helping the Herd. Afterwards, they are last seen dancing to the ending song of the film.
Gavin is a brave, bold, tough, valiant, and courageous dino-bird who loves his children. However, his unsparing ruthlessness often keeps him from thinking clearly as he was more concerned on getting revenge on Buck than helping the herd stop the asteroid. With some convincing from his children however, Gavin spares the weasel's life so they could save the planet.
- Gavin is the second main Ice Age movie antagonist who does not die at the end of his movie, behind Buck's original enemy Rudy, the main antagonist of the third film Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, or third if Captain Gutt, the main antagonist of the previous film, Ice Age: Continental Drift survived his ordeal with the sirens.
- Gavin is the fourth main antagonist of a Blue Sky movie who doesn't die at the end of his movie, after Sour Kangaroo, Rudy, Nigel and Lucy Van Pelt.
- Gavin is also the fourth main antagonist of a Blue Sky movie to be a parent after Madame Gasket, Sour Kangaroo and Mandrake.
- Gavin is the only main villain in the Ice Age film to redeem himself.
- Gavin is also the second main antagonist of a Blue Sky movie who redeems himself after Sour Kangaroo.
- Gavin is the third Ice Age villain who can fly, behind The Lone Gunslinger from the second film Ice Age: The Meltdown (released ten years before) and Silas, one of Gutt's henchmen from Ice Age: Continental Dirft.
- Gavin's voice actor Nick Offerman was co-stars with Aziz Ansari, who played Squint another one of Gutt's henchmen from Ice Age: Continental Dirft, on Parks and Recreation.
- Gavin is similar to Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader from the Star Wars films.
- Both of them debuted in space-themed movies made by 20th Century Fox.
- Both of them were the main antagonists of their first appearance, even though Gavin only has one movie.
- Both of them have two children, a son and a daughter.
- Both of them have lost their wives; Vader's wife died while Gavin's wife's fate is unknown.
- Both of them start out evil but later redeem themselves.
- He is also similar to Myron Larabee from Jingle All the Way, which was released 20 years before.
- Both are fathers.
- Both appeared in the movies made by 20th Century Fox.
- Both came out in the year '6 (Myron Larabee: 1996 and Gavin: 2016).
- Both are the main antagonists.
- In both of their films, the protagonists are also fathers who are, at a ruff patch, with their children.
- Both Gavin and Myron later redeem themselves.
- Oddly enough, David Newman who composed the music score for Jingle All the Way also composed the score for the first Ice Age film.