|“||Fossa hungry, fossa eat.||„|
Fossas are medium-sized weasel-like animals that live in Madagascar and prey on lemurs. They appear as the main antagonists in DreamWorks's 10th full-length animated feature film, Madagascar (despite their role being small).
They were voiced by Fred Tatasciore and Tom McGrath.
Although they are the main villains, they have little screen time. The fossas first appeared when they crashed King Julien's party and attempted to eat Mort, but when Alex noticed a spider on his back, his scream scared the fossas away.
The foosas made a short appearance during the "What a Wonderful World" scene, where they watched Alex walk through their territory after his predatory instincts forced him to attack his friends.
Then when Marty convinced Alex to go on the ship with them, the foosas appeared once again and attacked Marty, Melman, and Gloria. Private and his fellow penguins came to the three animals aid, and Alex showed up and clobbered the fossas and scared them away once again. After that, the fossas never bothered the lemurs, Alex, and his friends anymore.
Like predatory and carnivorous animals in real life includes their real-life counterparts, fossas loves to hunt animals as food. Reason why they proved villainous in film was due to them more obsessed in hunting lemurs than any other potential preys are available and indifferent with the fact that focusing their hunt for lemurs would made them went extinct.
- Unlike their appearance in the film, in real-life, the Fossa hunts alone, not in packs.
- They are spelled as "Foosa" in the movie and video game.
- They apparently have their own soverieg called King Fossa in the videogame, who does not appear in the movie at all. He serves as the final boss and as a playable character in the shuffleboard minigame.
- Although their role is small, the Fossas are the main antagonists because they had bigger plans and were far more dangerous than anyone else.
- They are commonly mistaken as canines or felines, but they are in fact related to mongooses.