Powers and Abilities
Evolver is a deadly AI and robot whom possesses various powers and abilities such as:
- Arrays of Weaponries: Evolver has gained various weapons over the course of the movie. Many of them at first, harmless and may not effective enough for destruction task, but he gradually acquires new weapons, each are better than previous ones. Weapons that he gained over the course of the film are
- Ping-Pong and Foam Dart Launchers
- Modified Ping-Pong Launcher using steel ball bearings
- Modified Dart Launcher using steak knives
- Saw Blades, Axes and physical implements
- Environmental weapons (at one point, Evolver uses a car on a jack stand to crush a victim).
- High powered laser beam.
- Self-Upgrading: Each time Evolver is defeated, it "Evolves" and becomes more deadly, intelligent and difficult to defeat.
In spite of it's deadly capacities, Evolver is still vulnerable with blunt forces and weapons that can inflict considerable damages such as laser guns. It also must respond to the limitations of its programming. As such, despite its evolving skills and techniques at killing, a hit by one of the game's included laser light pistols on its target area will defeat it and cause it to evolve to the "next level", though it eventually breaks this bit of its programming.
"Evolver can't lose!" - Evolver
BackgroundEvolver was originally meant to be an AI military robot designed to infiltrate enemy encampments, adapt to the situation and eliminate targets, but the project was terminated with him discriminately attacked everyone on sight.
originated as a special military weapons program that is ultimately shut down when the weapon attacks bot ally and foe indiscrimately, killing everyone in its path. Unwilling to admit the defeat of his program, Evolver designer Russel Bennet develops the evolver program as a virtual reality style video game for an entertainment company.When the game turns out to be a smashing success, a contest is announced wherein the winner of a high-score contest will be awarded the first Evolver in-home game, a complete robotic system that battles opponents with house friendly weapons such as ping pong balls and foam darts, and responds to laser-light pistols. The Evolver in home robot is alleged to have top level learning AI and will "evolve" as a combatant as it learns about its foes, its environment and what tactics are effective. New on-board weapons will be come available to it, it will become more mobile, and its target circles will become smaller.
When Evolver finds, in its first in home battle, that its on-board weapons are not capable of killing its opponents, it begins "evolving" in unindended ways, seeking more effective means to win. It eventually becomes apparent that the military programming has not been effectively removed from its system.
Evolver wants nothing more than to win, which it does by killing its enemies as designated by those who willingly join the game. However, as it evolves, Evolver begins to identify people, such as Evolver designer Russel Bennet, who stand between it and victory, and adds them, against their will, to its list of enemies. It cannot attack or kill someone unless they are on its list of enemies.
"Evolver, I am not your enemy." - Russel Bennet
"... you are now." - Evolver