If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||I don’t understand the feelings of the weak. The law of the world is survival of the fittest. It’s how the weak are weeded out. It just means those people that died were too weak. It’s only natural for the weak to perish.||„|
|~ Esdeath's most famous quote - expressing her philosophy on "survival of the fittest".|
General Esdeath (simply known as Esdeath) is the secondary antagonist of the manga, Akame Ga Kill!, and the 2014 anime adaptation of the same name. She is a high-ranking general of the Empire, one of the most powerful Teigu users in the world and the leader of the Jaegers.
Esdeath was responsible for the deaths of millions of people in the north of the country and several other conflicts and war on account of the rebellion against the Empire. She has committed the second largest number of horrible atrocities of any member of the Empire, behind Prime Minister Honest himself.
She was voiced by Satomi Akesaka in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Christine Auten in the English version.
Esdeath was a young woman with long light blue hair, and dark blue eyes. She wore a general's apparel with long sleeves, a blue scarf on her neck, and high-heeled boots. She also has a tattoo on her chest, which is the sign of her Teigu.
In the anime, Esdeath was shown to have a porcelain color skin (most likely due to the cold climate of her home village). Her breasts size were also inconsistent (at times appearing normal to being exaggeratedly big), compared to her manga's counterpart.
Esdeath was a sadistic, barbarous and manipulative woman who lacks empathy for people of whom she deems weak. Ever since she was motivated by her father's philosophy ("The strong survive and the weak die"), she has gone through torturous activities that involve putting her enemies through great pain, both physically and emotionally. She has no qualms about killing innocent people to get what she wants, and rationalizes her behavior with her father's old creed.
Despite all of this, Esdeath has shown a genuine and chrismatic side of her. She is known for treating her subordinates fair and well, letting them do as they please, which in turn inspires their intense loyalty and devotion; this makes her followers the strongest offensive force of the Empire. This side of her truly shines when expressing her love for Tatsumi, in which she offers a warm and comforting affection for him, even swearing to protect him from anyone that dare harms him and willing to clear up his name as a member of the Night Raid.
Esdeath has also shown to be quite honorable, as she enjoys to challenge an opponent that can give her a great battle. She holds special respect for strong opponents, which she shows when she openly recognizes Susanoo as a warrior rather than a simple Teigu. She also ultimately accepted her death when bested by Akame. Though because of this, she has a bloodlusted mindset that puts her in position of committing actions that would incite more hatred against the empire, in the hopes of being able to put down more rebellions. She has even stated that should the empire fall, she would simply start a war herself to satisfy her need for bloodshed.
Although she is unabashedly bloodthirsty and heartless, she keeps it from from dominating her judgment. If she sees that the battle is too much for her soldiers, she orders a retreat and doesn't risk heavy losses. While she will torture subordinates who fail, she can be forgiving to failed servitors, provided that they aren't complete failures, and gives them the benefit of the doubt if the failure wasn't their fault. However, this is later proven to be nothing more than facade of a psychotic, bloodlusted maniac, as shown during the final battle against the Revolutionary Army where she uses her real trump card to cover the Empire in a Russian Winter. Najenda notes that such a technique puts Esdeath's subordinates, as well as their families, at risk, but regardless of that, Esdeath ultimately didn't care as she responds with a wicked smile. On top of that, she rationalizes her actions with her belief of social darwinism, showing her cruelty and depravity.
Interestingly, prior to the final battle, Esdeath spoke of dedicating the battle in the fallen Jaegers group's memory. This is shown more clearly when she initially disregarded Seryu's demise, while internally admitted to missing them greatly and envisions the entire group in her memory. This shows that while she would put her men and their families at risk, she does fondly recall her subordinates, who she looked as more than just some lackey; especially those in comparison to Liver, Nyau and Daidara. Ultimately, despite her atrocious behavior, she secretly holds genuine regard for the people she loves and cares for.
Powers and AbilitiesEsdeath is considered to be the strongest soldier in the Empire's army and the overall strongest character in the series. Even after her defeat by Akame, she was only defeated by her due to letting her guard down and her arrogance. She possesses not only great skill, but also power that potentially puts her at a continental threat.
Esdeath possesses a powerful Imperial Arm called the Demon Manifestation - Demon's Extract, which allows her to manipulate ice and create ice from nothing. She uses it to create icicles, freeze people to death and more. She has been able to freeze an entire lake within moments with her ability. Her trump card allows her to freeze time. In the manga version, she has another trump card that allows her to create an army of ice centaur soldiers.
Physical CapabilitiesEsdeath usually carries a long rapier that she wields with her into combat. She has shown herself to be quite adept with this weapon even without having to resort to her Teigu. She is shown to be a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant as well, possessing great physical strength, such as when she sent Tatsumi crashing to the ground in one kick, or when she slammed Seryu through the ground in their first meeting. She was also able to slam Suzuka into a wall with relatively little effort.
Esdeath possesses a strong sixth sense, being able to sense others from long distances. She was perfectly able to sense that someone was spying on her, without even seeing who they are. Her sense of smell is strong as she confirmed that it was Tatsumi after checking his scent when she reunited with him on top of Mt. Fake from one sniff.
Esdeath also has an extensive knowledge of human physiology, based from her experience as a torturer. This is mainly shown when dissecting Chelsea's body. She also knows where exactly to strike in the human body at points that are fatal and where they're not. Overall, she is a creative, intelligent being that comes up with new methods of torture new torture and moves for her Teigu, such as her trump cards Mahapadma and Blizzard Command-in-Chief.
|“||Panicking leads to an early grave.||„|
|“||I won't let anything harm you, I won't take any other lovers, I consider you my only man, I won't let you feel lonely.||„|
|“||If you will never be mine, I'll at least give you death by my own hands. I won't let anyone else touch you. Tatsumi of Night Raid... you will die.||„|
|“||The weak are destined to lie beneath the boots of the strong. If that angers you, overcome your deficits.||„|
- Esdeath is a play on the phrase "S" desu, which means "I am an S(sadist)".
- She has a small book that she uses to draw Tatsumi.
- Her army has its own symbol: a cross.
- Esdeath also has a pet dragon she flies around on.
- Esdeath's English voice actor, Christine Auten, also voices Karasuba, who, like Esdeath, is a composed, extremely powerful warrior woman who is very sadistic and believes only the strong survive.
- Esdeath represents the type of villain more commonly associated with the early ages of cinema and animation, in that she is evil purely for the sake of being evil, and thoroughly enjoys it. In the modern era, many central villains possess some form of tragic backstory, which influenced them and turned them into villains. These people fit into several categories: they seek revenge for some previous wrongdoing, joined the bad guys simply because they were tempted by the promises of power and money, or are essentially good moral people that have been led astray and are fighting for the wrong side. Esdeath, by contrast, represents none of these. Whilst the loss of her father, and taking of a dangerous Teigu undoubtedly influenced her, she was shown to be sadistic and amoral even before these and following the collapse of the empire, noted that she would simply start another war in order to take part in the ensuing chaos that followed. Tatsumi and Najenda noting that if either of the previous circumstances had influenced her, then her actions may have been at least understandable. Both realized, however, that Esdeath was a monster to her very core and she remained so right up until her dying moment.
- Esdeath deviates from most other villains in that she is shown to actually care about the people under her command, treating them with affection and respect, whilst still remaining ruthless and cruel towards her enemies. She also does not manipulate the feelings of a hero for her own benefit, since her feelings for Tatsumi as stressed on multiple occasions were genuine.
- Esdeath's anime portrayal was generally consistent to her manga counterpart. As noted, however, certain aspects of the manga were cut from the anime portrayal (such as her confrontation with Wild Hunt and duel with Leone). In fact, most of Esdeath's storylines were actually featured and the only noticeable deviation was the manner of Esdeath's death.
- Esdeath's death differs slightly in both the manga and anime. In the anime, after being fatally wounded by Akame, she approached to Tatsumi's corpose (who had died against his battle with the Emperor) and cradles with it, while expressing her undying love for him one last time, before proceeding to freeze both of them, obliterating their bodies. In the manga, Esdeath dies bemoaning the fact that she can never have him, as Tatsumi remained alive (albeit in the form of the Incursio dragon).