|“||SHOTOOO ! Have you finally accepted yourself ?! That it! Good! It all starts from here for you. With my blood, you will surpass me. . .You will fulfill my desire!||„|
|~ Endeavor become over-excited after see Shoto finally use his fire quirk.|
|“||Stop that peeking, Shoto. Those "things", your older siblings are people who inhabit a different world from you||„|
|~ Endeavor to young-Shoto to stop peeking his rest siblings and call them "things".|
Enji Todoroki, better known by his hero name, Endeavor, is a hero (more of an anti-hero) from the manga My Hero Academia. He is the father of Shoto Todoroki and the 2nd highest ranked superhero. He is the primary antagonist of the U.A. Sports Festival Arc.
Despite his status as a hero, he lacks many heroic ideals. He is prideful of his fame, and is envious of the fact that All-Might as a higher rank than him.
His selfishness shows when he marries a woman with an Ice Quirk simply so he could produce an heir that could take All-Might's spot as the Number 1 Hero. His abuse towards his wife causes her to have a mental breakdown, but he shows no concern for her when it happens.
Out of envy for All-Might's hero ranking, he forced an arranged marriage with a woman with an Ice Quirk so that he could produce an heir capable of surpassing All-Might. After three failed attempts, his fourth child, Shouto, had a Quirk that allowed him to use both fire and ice. When Shouto was only five, he isolated him from his siblings so he could put him through a rigorous training regimen. His wife would often call him out on putting the young Shouto through such harsh training. His abuse towards both Shouto and his wife would take a toll on the latter's sanity.
One day, Mrs. Todoroki is on the phone with her mother talking about how she couldn't take their marriage anymore. When Shoto walked into the room, she snapped and threw boiling water in his face out of hatred for Endeavor. Endeavor would have her committed to a mental institution so that she wouldn't interfere with Shoto's training, which results in Shoto finally declaring his hatred for his father and would refuse to use his Fire Quirk out of spite (unless in an emergency like when he froze a student he was sparring with).
During the U.A. Sports Festival Arc, he is seen spectating the event. Shoto wished for a better challenge during the event because he was watching. When Shoto refuses to use his Fire Quirk, this prompts a scolding from Endeavor. After a pep talk from Izuku, Shoto finally decides to unleash his Fire Quirk, which causes Endeavor to proudly declare that he'll surpass him. After Shoto's match with Izuku, he tells him how proud he is and allows him to be his sidekick, but Shoto tells him that the only reason he was able to use his Fire Quirk because for a brief moment, he forgot about him.
During the Field Training Arc, Shouto chose his workplace to gain experience in the field of heroism. During the Noumu attack of Hosu, Endeavour hopes that he could encounter Chizome Akaguro, aka, the Hero-Killer, Stain. After the battle against Stain, Endeavor was given credit for his defeat by suggestion of the Police Chief for Izuku's, Iida's, and Shouto's protection.
After the incident during the School Trip, Endeavor complains about having to rescue Katsuki Bakugou because it would interfere with his busy schedule. His complaining continues when he's only assigned to stay with the police while the other heroes raid the League of Villains' lair.
During All-Might's battle with All For One, he regresses to his weakened state, which Endeavor witnesses. This prompts him to remember the origin of his grudge against him. After the battle with Sensei, All-Might was forced to retire from crime fighting, allowing Endeavor to finally get his wish to be the Number 1 Hero. However, he is not happy with his newly obtained position.
Powers and Abilities
- Hell Flame: Endeavor's Quirk allows him to manipulate and control fire at his will. He is able to use his flame abilities in a variety of different ways, such as creating fire spears and fire balls and melting walls with his feet, which allows him to run on walls. He can also control the temperature of his flames, to the point of creating blue flames.
- Physical Strength: Although Hell Flame is his only Quirk, Endeavor is very strong, as he was able to send a Nomu flying back with one punch, as well as breaking its skin off with said punch. He is also able to hold down a Nomu long enough for him to decapitate it.
- Keen Intellect: Endeavor is extraordinarily intelligent, as he has used his intelligence to tally up the most resolved criminal cases in history. He has keen deductive skills, as shown when he noticed how Izuku Midoriya's Quirk was not only was very powerful, but it was similar to All Might's, only after seeing it briefly. In combat, he swiftly decided that the best way to defeat a Nomu was to carbonize its cells, so it wouldn't regenerate.
Overall, Endeavor is a very powerful hero. He is the No. 2 ranked hero in Japan, right behind All Might, and later ended up being No. 1, after All Might retired from crime fighting. His fights against the League of Villains and the Noumus have proven his ranking very well.
- Endeavor seems to be a representation of what Katsuki Bakugo could become in the future: a hero filled with pride and ambition who strives to be at the very top. Both he and Bakugo have also shown to have violent, aggressive tempers.
- Because his marriage was forced, it is implied that Endeavor raped his wife, for the sake of conceiving the perfect child that could surpass All Might. This explains why he never seems to acknowledge nor even mention his other children.
- When seeing All Might's true form during his fight with All For One, Endeavor briefly has flashbacks of his wife and son, then lashes out in fury. This possibly indicates that he regrets his actions towards his family, coming to the realization that all of his hard work of surpassing All Might was for nothing.