Dark Meta Knight is a recurring antagonist in the Kirby series, appearing as the secondary antagonist in Kirby and the Amazing Mirror and later the main antagonist of Kirby: Triple Deluxe's Dededetour story mode, as well as the overarching antagonist of the game overall.
He is an evil mirror version of Meta Knight, except he is a more vicious and brutal fighter, displaying no mercy nor honor for his opponents. Throughout the games, Dark Meta Knight has mainly served as villain against Kirby and his allies but he has recently become an ally of Kirby's himself, starting in Kirby: Star Allies as a playable Dream Friend.
Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
Dark Meta Knight is first encountered when he slashes Kirby into four different colored Kirbies. Dark Meta is then seen defeating Meta Knight and sealing him within the Dimension Mirror, shattering it to prevent Kirby from being able to reach him. The second time he appears, he is disguised as Meta Knight and fights Kirby. Once he is defeated he retreats.
The third and final time he is fought is within the Dimension Mirror, where he attempts to disguise himself as Meta Knight to fool Kirby, but the real Meta Knight reveals the impostor. Dark Meta Knight then assumes his true colors and fights Kirby. When he is finally defeated his body shatters and a portal opens up leading to the true mastermind, Dark Mind.
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Although Dark Meta Knight does not appear in person until Dedede Tour has been unlocked, it is strongly implied that he is the main antagonist of the entire game (instead of Queen Sectonia), or at least the greater-scope antagonist, as he was in control of the Dimension Mirror the entire time, which was responsible for corrupting Sectonia and turning her evil.
Sectonia was once a just and kind ruler of Floralia and a close friend of her right-hand man Taranza, who eventually came across a mirror which he then presented to her. She soon became obsessed with both the Mirror itself and her own beauty and vanity. Little did she know that Dark Meta Knight was the new master of the Dimension Mirror and was casting a negative influence on her. She eventually used her newfound dark magic (presumably obtained through Dark Meta Knight's manipulation) to transform herself into a giant bee, seeing her new form as true beauty. The more evil Dark Meta Knight fed her through the mirror, the worse she became towards Taranza and her citizens. She eventually tried to rule over Floralia's inhabitants as their goddess and began imprisoning them to serve her.
Dark Meta Knight finally appears in person as the hidden true main antagonist and final boss of Dedede Tour. After the defeat of Dark Meta Knight's pawns, Sectonia (in her DX form), and Shadow Dedede, King Dedede traveled into the Dimension Mirror and encounters Dark Meta Knight, who is now far more powerful than before, no longer working for Dark Mind, and is in full control of the Dimension Mirror. Dark Meta Knight is a considerably greater threat in his reappearance, being able create clones of himself and dispense mach tornado's freely. Once he is defeated, he is sealed within the Dimension Mirror, which King Dedede then smashes.
He also appears as the penultimate foe in The True Arena. Upon Kirby destroying him a second time, he violently shatters like glass, leaving Kirby to destroy Sectonia Soul (who is still under Dark Meta Knight's evil power and influence, although his physical body is destroyed) however, as Dark Meta Knight had been destroyed before in the same way by Kirby, it is likely that he will make a return.
Kirby Star AlliesDark Meta Knight makes his recent reappearance in Kirby Star Allies, but not as an antagonist. Instead, he will be one of the three Dream Friends of Wave 3 along with Daroach and Adeleine/Ribbon. Contrary to belief, he is vastly different from his counterpart, both in terms of gameplay and visuals.
He has received an updated look in which his eyes appear to glow orange and his mask has scratched markings around it. His wings have also been given a torn look, in order to fit with his torn cape and the M logo appears on his right shoulder. Interestingly enough, the sword he wields retains its original design from Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, instead of being a recolor of Galaxia.
He is still a villain despite helping Kirby, secretly wishing to take the power of the dark hearts for himself.
- Dark Meta Knight is the Bigger Bad of the main story line of Triple Deluxe, since his Mirror was what corrupted Sectonia and made her vanity-obsessed.
- Although Dededetour and The True Arena are considered non-canon, this does not change the fact that he is canonically the hidden mastermind of the main story line.
- Dark Meta Knight is the only suspected member of Kirby's species to be truly wicked. All other members and possible members of Kirby's species are either heroes or are neutral characters who vary in alignment depending on the game.
- Although he doesn't appear himself in Kirby Super Star Ultra, a card of Dark Meta Knight appears in the minigame Card Swipe.
- Dark Meta Knight's Revenge's pause screen description suggests that Dark Meta Knight is not able to leave the Mirror World, as he has been "sealed in the labyrinth of the mirror for aeons." However, in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror, Dark Meta Kngiht is able to freely leave the Mirror World.
- During his boss introduction in Kirby: Triple Deluxe, as he enters the fight, he slashes his sword. A substance similar to bllood flies off him as he does so, disappearing in different directions. He also bleeds when he reopens his wings before the second round of the fight, and also whenever he and his mirror duplicates combine during the second half of the fight. This makes Dark Meta Knight the fourth Kirby boss to bleed, after 0, 02, and Shadow Dedede, and before Star Dream Soul OS
- In Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U, Meta Knight has a coloration that makes him resemble Dark Meta Knight. Although having no scar and an incorrectly-colored sword (the standard gold-and-red Galaxia rather than the silver-and-blue one he normally wields), cape (dark purple instead of black) and shoes. (dark purple, rather than red) In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, however, the alt resembles Dark Meta Knight a lot more, with the scar and the correctly colored sword.
- Dark Meta Knight's Pause Screen description in Kirby: Triple Deluxe describes Dark Meta Knight as being the "shadow of the strongest warrior", hinting that the title has been stolen from Galacta Knight. Despite this, it should be noted that Galacta Knight has been called the greatest and most powerful, not the strongest.
- According to Japan-exclusive 20th Anniversary Hoshi no Kābī Pupupu Taizen (Kirby of the Stars 20th Anniversary Encyclopedia), Dark Meta Knight got his scar from dueling Meta Knight.
- In Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!, when Dark Meta Knight faces Morpho Knight, a remixed medley of the Kirby & The Amazing Mirror boss theme and Dark Mind's second phase theme plays.