|“||A runabout? I'LL STEAL IT!!! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!||„|
|~ Backslide loudly expressing his intentions to steal a runabout.|
Dan Backslide is the main antagonist of the 1942 Merrie Melodies cartoon "The Dover Boys." He is a parody of Dan Baxter from the Rover Boys book series.
The Dover Boys
Dan makes his appearance in this cartoon by kidnapping Dora Standpipe, and then proceeding to take her to his mountain lodge. She proved to be quite the fighter, however, and she managed to beat him to a near pulp. When the Dover Boys arrived to save Dora, they proceeded to beat up Backslide, and then themselves, after Backslide had cleverly collapsed to the floor.
- "CONFOUND THOSE DOVER BOYS!!!! OH, HOW I HATE THEM! I hate Tom! I hate Dick! I HATE LARRY!!! THEY DRIVE ME TO DRINK!!!!" Confound them (hiccup).
- "Dear rich, Dora Standpipe! Oh, how I love her... (aside glance) Father's money!"
- "Then Dora must be alone and unprotected!"
- "Help Tom! Help Dick! HELP Larry!"
- Due to his hammy nature, Dan Backslide has become a popular source of Internet memes. For example, he inspired the "Confound those ponies, they drive me to drink" meme.