Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||Whatever happens to the American Dream, it will come true. You'll see it.||„|
|~ The Comedian|
|“||It's a joke. It's all a joke. Mother, forgive me.||„|
|~ The Comedian's last words|
In the film adaptation, He was portrayed by Jeffery Dean Morgan who would later portray Negan.
Edward Blake may have been on the heroes' side, but he was a violent and sadistic sociopath who was mainly interested in heroism as an excuse and means to hurt criminals. Later, the Comedian worked for the corrupt government and did even more apprehensible things as a soldier in the Vietnam War.
Blake's reasons for doing the things he does are not necessarily clear, but due to the harsh upbringing he must have endured while living during the Great Depression, it's assumed he cast aside any feelings of decency in order to survive. The Comedian sees everything he does as insignificant as the deeds of the few are never enough to change the world. This line of thinking often put him at odds with his teammates whose whole reason for donning costumes and fighting crime was to inspire people and make life better. After finding out that Ozymandias was planning to create world peace by annihilating most of New York, the Comedian's philosophy was shaken as he was forced to admit that this plan would work.
Despite his cruel nature, the Comedian was never completely heartless. During World War II, he saved by a Soloman woman and her son. When he returned to base, his captain ordered that whole area to be wiped out, killing both the woman and her son in the process. He slit the captain's throat to avenge them. This inspired him to reconnect with Sally Jupiter. He seemed geniunely remorseful for what he had done to her and the two had an affair which led to Laurie's birth. Upon figuring out that Laurie was his child, Blake quietly watched over her, albeit in an over-controlling manner such as threatening her boyfriend after Laurie took drugs. As approched old age he began to soften in his actions and only killed or maimed those he was ordered to.
The Comedian's Wrong-Doings
- Beat up and attempted to rape the original Silk Specter but was stopped by Hooded Justice.
- Beat up and killed innocent bystanders.
- Burned people alive in Vietnam, while lighting a cigar with the flames.
- Killed a woman who was pregnant with his baby, all because she cut his face.
- Treating everything that he's done as a joke.
- He killed Woodward and Bernstein for Richard Nixon. Implied in the original comic and outright shown in the videogame prequel. In the latter he also framed Underboss for the killings.
- The movie depicts the Comedian killing John F. Kennedy, based on a joking remark in the original comic book. However, the prequel comic book starring him reveals that he did not kill JFK, but did kill Marilyn Monroe on behalf of JFK's wife.