|“||I cannot imagine the man young Bruce might have become had his childhood not been ripped from him at gunpoint.||„|
|~ Alfred Pennyworth recounting how Bruce Wayne lost his innocence when Joe Chill murdered his parents.|
Destroyers of Innocence are villains who effectively "destroy" the innocence of a story, setting or character; they are often especially wicked beings who ruin lives and their crimes can never truly be reversed as it erases the concept of "innocence", though some rarer examples do not fully know they are responsible for this occurring.
A Destroyer of Innocence is the evil opposite of a Protector of Innocence.
Examples of this type of villain are as follows:
- Characters who kill (or at least wrong) someone's loved ones, family (often parents), or friends. Examples of this are Joe Chill and Scar from Fullmetal Alchemist.
- Characters who abuses/corrupts a child or someone with a childlike mentality (many "Fagin" types fall into this category). Examples are Judge Hopkins, Ozai, Medusa Gorgon, The Raven, and Yakone.
- A character whom a protagonist has admired deeply in the past (even without their knowledge); upon learning of the character's true nature, the protagonist is visibly distressed. Examples of this are Charles Muntz from UP, Yokai from Big Hero 6, and Sōsuke Aizen from Bleach, who has shattered Momo Hinamori's trust in him by betraying the Gotei 13.
- Characters who betray loved ones, family, or friends, especially if their betrayal is extremely brutal and treacherous in nature. Good examples of this are Scar's betrayal of both Simba and Mufasa in The Lion King, Griffith's betrayal of Guts and Casca in Berserk, and Prince Hans' betrayal of Anna in Frozen.
- A character who masterminds a particularly shocking event, such as a terrorist attack or massacre of innocents, which in turn causes a deep and lasting "loss of innocence" in his or her setting. The event itself can also count if it has profoundly challenged people's perception on the world. A example of this type of villain would be Isaac Ray Peram Westcott from Date A Live, which caused the death of over millions of people in his wars and turned an entire city into a battlefield, killing hundreds of people, also as destroying an entire reality and killing his own daughter.
- A villain who apparently seems to be harmless or even innocent, but it is only one facet to hide its nature and can easily commit atrocities. (Eric Cartman lost his innocence since he killed Scott Tenorman's parents in the South Park episode "Scott Tenorman Must Die".)
This category has the following 8 subcategories, out of 8 total.
Pages in category "Destroyer of Innocence"
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 4,389 total.(previous 200) (next 200)