|“||Thank you. One does what one can.||„|
|~ Budzo, after being called a monster by one of the captive weavers.|
Budzo is the main antagonist of the 2012 computer-animated South African film, Zambezia (also known as Adventures in Zambezia).
Budzo is a manipulative and sinister monitor lizard who forces birds to work for him and is intent on taking over Zambezia to eat all of the eggs. He is responsible for the death of Kai's mother, which is why Kai's father, Tendai, is overprotective of his son. Budzo lost a claw from his failed attack, but he will do anything to return for vengeance against the Zambezians. Budzo and his Marabou henchmen kidnap Tendai as he won't let anyone stand in his way. He forces his imprisoned birds to build him a bridge leading all the way towards Zambezia. When he finally succeeds in taking over Zambezia after Kai saves his dad, Budzo betrays his henchmen and unleashes his army of lizards. The henchmen decide to team up with the Zambezians and defeat the lizards by splitting the bridge in half. Budzo plummets to his death when all the Zambezians push him over the edge of Victoria Falls when he was cornered on a water wheel. He attempts to take Chief Sekhuru's daughter, Zoe, with him, but she is saved just in time by Kai.
Budzo is very rude, greedy, cruel, sinister, persuasive, acrimonious, bloodthirsty, nefarious, mean, cocky, abusive, traitorous, manipulative, dishonest, cunning, touchy, selfish, ruthless, egotistical, curmudgeonly, oppressive, ominous, brutal, deceptive, hostile, evil, sly, baleful, loathsome, egocentric, antagonistic, diabolical, murderous, and arrogant. Despite looking chubby, Budzo is very strong and powerful, as he is shown throwing birds across the trees of Zambezia during his raid. Budzo is also very tough, being able to resist most of the birds attacks with minor effect, and it taking almost the entire population to overpower him over the waterfall.
Budzo is a massive green monitor lizard with a white underside and orange eyes. His second toe on his right front foot lacks a claw, as he lost it during his first attempt to concur Zambezia. He also has some scars on his face, presumably from his failed raid as well.
- "Death is natural."
- "How many eggs can one lizard eat?"
- "Thank you. One does what one can." (After being called a monster by one of the captive weavers)
- "You Marabous are just as naive as Zambezians." (Budzu betraying his henchmen)
- "Isn't that just like a pun? Putting all the eggs into one basket!"
- "No bird can take me!"
- "I have to say, I'm a little underwhelmed." (Last words before his death)
- He is very similar to King Leonard Mudbeard from the 2016 computer-animated film, The Angry Birds Movie.
- They are both hungry for bird eggs and will do anything to get their hands on them.
- Unlike Leonard Mudbeard, Budzo was killed at the end of the film, and he never tried to seem friendly to the birds.
- He is also very similar to Scar from Disney's 1994 animated film, The Lion King.
- Both are villainous animals (Budzo being a rock monitor/Scar being a lion).
- Both kills the protagonist's parents (Amay/Mufasa).
- Both have their henchmen (hyenas/marabou storks).
- Both betrayed their henchmen (Budzo betrayed the marabou storks; while the hyenas betrayed Scar).
- Both have their scars in their faces.
- Both die in the end (Budzo fell to his death from the top of a waterfall; while Scar gets eaten by the hyenas).