The "Big Bird" is a corrupted Gem and the main antagonist of its debut episode "Giant Woman" of the cartoon series Steven Universe.
The Big Bird takes the form of a massive bird-like creature with large, broad wings; thin, stick-like legs, and a comparatively small tail. It has brown feathers covering almost all of its body with purple plumage on its chest and belly. It has a huge jagged beak that extends to its forehead and is able to hold a large number of objects and has no visible eyes. Its interior is encrusted with gemstones that are encased by bubbles.
This giant bird was seen attacking the gems, then was defeated by Opal, along with its offspring.
While attacking the Crystal Gems at the Sky Spire, it attempts to eat Steven and Steven Jr. Opal critically injures Big Bird by punching through its stomach to retrieve both Steven and Steven Jr., resulting in it reforming into many smaller birds. Big Bird is then defeated by Opal, who shoots its smaller versions with her arrows. Following its defeat, the gems comprising Big Bird are automatically bubbled by Opal.
Powers and Abilities
- Avian Physiology: The creature takes on the form of a colossal bird and thus has the same innate abilities a bird has, such as the ability of flight and the use of its talons and beak as weapons.
- Super Ingestion: Big Bird consumes people, animals, and objects indiscriminately.
- Fission: When it sustains serious damage, it splits into numerous smaller versions of itself, which are simply tiny heads with beaks and wings. This also appears to involve fragmenting its own gem.
- This creature was named after the Sesame Street character Big Bird.
- Its "beak" bears a strong resemblance to the jaws/mandibles of the Centipeetle's from "Gem Glow".
- It may be related to the bird the Crystal Gems fought in the episode "Cheeseburger Backpack".
- The amount of gems within the Big Bird implies that it is a corrupted Gem Fusion, or a corrupted Gem who has various bubbled gems stored inside of it.
- It looks similar to the top figure of the totem pole from Greg's storage unit.
- It is featured as an enemy that Steven must avoid in Gem Bound.