Be Prepared is the villain song of Scar, sung in The Lion King. The song is about Scar's plot to kill Mufasa and Simba.
Scar: (spoken) I never thought hyenas essential;
They're crude and unspeakably plain.
But maybe they've a glimmer of potential,
If allied to my vision and brain.
(singing) I know that your powers of retention
Are as wet as a warthog's backside.
(spoken) But thick as you are, pay attention!
(singing) My words are a matter of pride.
It's clear from your vacant expressions:
The lights are not all on upstairs.
(spoken) But, we're talking kings and successions.
Even you can't be caught unawares!
(singing) So prepare for the chance of a lifetime, be prepared for sensational news!
A shining new era is tiptoeing nearer.
Shenzi: (spoken) And where do we feature?
Scar: (spoken) Just listen to teacher!
(singing) I know it sounds sordid but you'll be rewarded when at last I am given my dues.
And injustice delicously squared,
Banzai: (spoken) Yeah, be prepared! We'll be prepared. For what?
Scar: (spoken) For the death of the king!
Banzai: (spoken) Why? Is he sick?
Scar: (spoken) No, fool. We're going to kill him. And Simba too.
Shenzi: (spoken) Great idea! Who needs a king?
Hyenas: (singing) No King! No King! La, la, la, la, la, la!
Scar: (spoken) IDIOTS! THERE WILL BE A KING!
Banzai: (spoken) Hey, but you said um...
Scar: (spoken) I WILL BE KING! Stick with me and you'll never go hungry again!
Hyenas: (spoken) Yeah! All Right! Long live the king! Long live the king! Long live the king!
(singing) It's great that we'll soon be connected with a king who'll be all time adored!
Scar: (spoken) Of course, Quid Pro Quo, you're expected to take certain duties on board.
(singing) The future is littered with prizes,
Snd though i'm the main adressee,
The point that i must emphasize is;
(spoken) YOU WON'T GET A SNIFF WITHOUT ME!
Scar and the hyenas: (singing) So prepare for the coup of the century!
Scar: Be prepared for the murkiest scam! (Hyenas: Oooh! La, la, la!)
Meticulous Planning (We'll have food!),
Tenacity Spanning (Lots of food!),
Decades of denial (We repeat,)
Is simply why I'll (endless meat!)
be king undisputed, respected, saluted, and seen for the wonder I am! (Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!)
Yes, my teeth and ambitions are bared!
Scar and the hyenas: Be Prepared!
Yes, our teeth and ambitions are bared,
- While Jeremy Irons, Scar voice actor, sang most of the lyrics in the song, Jim Cummings sang the last five lines after Irons threw his voice out with the line 'YOU WON'T GET A SNIFF WITHOU ME!'
- The Nostalgia Critic placed "Be Prepared" as # 3 on his Top 11 Villain Songs list, and when he reviewed The Lion King for his "Disneycember" he said that Be Prepared was only 1 of 2 songs from the movie that he liked, the other being "Circle of Life". He also ranked Scar as # 9 on his Top 11 Disney Villains list.
- In the original lyric booklet, the line: "You won't get a sniff without me!" was incorrectly written as: "You won't get a sniff out of me!". This was correctly written in the Broadway lyrics booklet.
- A reprise was shown in the musical and was deleted in the original Lion King film.
- None of the lyrics are shown in The Lion King 3: Hakuna Matata. Instead, Timon and Pumbaa leave after they see the shadowed hyenas.