Arthur Tressler is the secondary antagonist of the 2013 film Now You See Me and of the 2016 sequel "Now You See Me 2".
He was played by Sir Michael Caine, who also portrayed Michael Jennings, Alfred Pennyworth in Nolan's Batman trilogy and Chester King/Arthur in Kingsman: The Secret Service.
Now You See Me
Arthur Tressler is a banker who serves as the benefactor for The Four Horsemen, the main protagonists of the film. He accompanies the four to New Orleans, where the Horsemen will perform their next show. A few hours before the performance was about to start, Tressler had an argument with Thaddeus Bradley, the film's main antagonist. Later that night, Tressler is invited to become part of the audience to the performance. Unbeknownst to Tressler, the audience were composed of people insured by Tressler's company whose bank accounts have either been denied or reduced by the company. It is then revealed later in their performance that the Four Horsemen stole millions from Tressler's bank account and, much to Tressler's frustration, The Four Horsemen distributes the money to the audience in front of him and escapes, leaving Tressler to face the people's wrath.
Later, while Tressler is drinking some liquor at a bar and mourning his loss, he is approached by Thaddeus Bradley. Tressler then offers Bradley a large sum of money and hires him to humiliate The Four Horsemen, which Bradley gladly accepts.
Now You See Me 2
Tressler returns in the sequel, taking on a much more villainous and darker role than the first film. It's revealed that he has a son named Walter Mabry. They appear as the two main antagonists.
- Tressler is one of the two main antagonists in Now You See Me 2 because even though Walter was the one driving the plot, the plot was hatched by Tressler and his son Walter, while Walter kept secret his father being Tressler until after Dylan Rhodes is captured by Walter with help from his minions.
- Tressler is the most recurring villain in the duology because, despite appearing as the secondary antagonist in both films, the main villains of both films only appeared once.
- Tressler is similar to Mr. Perkins from Despicable Me:
- They are evil and wealthy bankers.
- They are fathers, though that fact was concealed until the third act of the film.
- They served as the secondary antagonists while their sons served as the main antagonists, but they were also Bigger Bads. Also, they assisted them with their evil plans.